Why become a member? ×

Gigged the Barefaced Compact again last night...

wateroftyne

I think it was the fact that Alex was believing in the product and they were few who didn't like it so had the urge to express themself in a not very polite way! I like Alex because he knows what he's talking about and his many suggestions have helped me understand the fundamentals of getting a better tone, yes he was sometimes talking in a language that only engineers understand but at least he knew what he was talking about!

Barefaced cabs are excellent, yes they are not the only cabs in the world and not the best ones either but for the money they do provide loads of sound for such a small package! I'm very happy about mine and would recommend a Compact to anyone!

There is probably a new sponsor in town. :)

I thought the 'chat' went both ways..

Some were very vocal in their support, and others were vocal in their views to the opposite as well.
But..if you have a presense on a forum don't be surprised if any issues are also aired...even if you run that forum.
If you take the plaudits you'll likely have to contend with some hits.
The idea is come out ahead in the long run but things do stick so I would sugest that trial runs might not be the greatest idea as you can't take that stuff back too easily in terms of promo...

If you go around deleting conflicting opinions from threads relating to your product, or dismissing any discussion relating to said product with the "I'm an engineer, so your opinion is invalid" card, it leaves a bad impression (particularly when experienced bass players are the ones contributing to the discussion). Simple as that really. I can't knock his products, as I haven't tried them. Some people like them, some don't.

He certainly wasn't hounded out, he chose to go and divert his attention elsewhere as I recall. The way I see it, is if you're going to promote a product on an internet forum, you need to accept that your product will be discussed and picked apart. We do it for products from every other brand - I don't see why being a BC member should grant immunity from that when people will be parting with good money for the end product at the end of the day.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='776233' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:27 PM']If you go around deleting conflicting opinions from threads relating to your product, or dismissing any discussion relating to said product with the "I'm an engineer, so your opinion is invalid" card, it leaves a bad impression (particularly when experienced bass players are the ones contributing to the discussion). Simple as that really. I can't knock his products, as I haven't tried them. Some people like them, some don't.

He certainly wasn't hounded out, he chose to go and divert his attention elsewhere as I recall. The way I see it, is if you're going to promote a product on an internet forum, you need to accept that your product will be discussed and picked apart. We do it for products from every other brand - I don't see why being a BC member should grant immunity from that when people will be parting with good money for the end product at the end of the day.[/quote]
He handled criticism and heated debate for a long time.. but it got to a point where it became relentless (IMO).

I'm not suprised he switched his PC off an went elsewhere, tbh...

[quote name='Wil' post='776233' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:27 PM']If you go around deleting conflicting opinions from threads relating to your product, or dismissing any discussion relating to said product with the "I'm an engineer, so your opinion is invalid" card, it leaves a bad impression (particularly when experienced bass players are the ones contributing to the discussion). Simple as that really. I can't knock his products, as I haven't tried them. Some people like them, some don't.

He certainly wasn't hounded out, he chose to go and divert his attention elsewhere as I recall. The way I see it, is if you're going to promote a product on an internet forum, you need to accept that your product will be discussed and picked apart. We do it for products from every other brand - I don't see why being a BC member should grant immunity from that when people will be parting with good money for the end product at the end of the day.[/quote]

This is what I thought if im honest.

We pick apart a lot of products on here, and unfortunately it happens with ALL products.

Im sure Alex/BF will continue to sell products anyway, but honest criticism is essential on new products especially when the are always being changed.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='776248' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:36 PM']He handled criticism and heated debate for a long time.. but it got to a point where it became relentless (IMO).

I'm not suprised he switched his PC off an went elsewhere, tbh...[/quote]

It's impossible to sit and refute every bit of contrary opinion, but that's all it is - opinion. Bass players will discuss bass equipment until the cows come home, and at the end of the day your product will stand up on its merits and the experiences of people who've used it. I think he should've just left people to it, he didn't have to leave the forum, but his call I guess.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='776260' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:46 PM']This is what I thought if im honest.

We pick apart a lot of products on here, and unfortunately it happens with ALL products.

Im sure Alex/BF will continue to sell products anyway, but honest criticism is essential on new products especially when the are always being changed.[/quote]

Agreed.

...or even having your post edited so that it takes on a completely different meaning.

Behringer have their product slated, what's different here? Alex has criticised other manufacturers gear for a long time, why would he expect to be immune from criticism himself?

Alex stating that people's amps (500 watt amps not being powerful enough to drive a BF cab... what??)/gear/hearing etc is at fault whenever a BF cab is not sounding like the punter wanted, failing to learn from mistakes or take criticism on board isn't too smart a commercial move.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='776280' date='Mar 16 2010, 02:06 PM']Agreed.

...or even having your post edited so that it takes on a completely different meaning.

Behringer have their product slated, what's different here? Alex has criticised other manufacturers gear for a long time, why would he expect to be immune from criticism himself?

Alex stating that people's amps (500 watt amps not being powerful enough to drive a BF cab... what??)/gear/hearing etc is at fault whenever a BF cab is not sounding like the punter wanted, failing to learn from mistakes or take criticism on board isn't too smart a commercial move.[/quote]

I never saw being mentioned anywhere EBS. but I agree that some posts were edited and that didn't help.

I use 350w with a barefaced cab and it goes fine. I'm planning on getting another one.

[quote name='Conan' post='777097' date='Mar 17 2010, 10:25 AM']Bill Fitz[b]maurice[/b] innit?[/quote]
[s]Fixed. :rolleyes:[/s] Ah, got there before me.

Bill doesn't build his own cabs, though (well, I'm sure he does originally to test them, but AFAIK he doesn't personally sell them). He sells plans for the designs so you can DIY, and he has authorised builders dotted around the world if you don't have the skills to do it yourself.

IIRC (and I may well not), Bill has been pretty vocal in his support for Alex's designs, and people don't tend to argue with Bill. He knows his stuff.

Conan, if you're interested in trying a Barefaced cab, remember that Alex offers a one-month trial period. Buy one; if you don't like it, send it back for a refund. Alternatively, wait for another NE Bash (time for another one, guys?) and I'll bring my Vintage. As long as I'm not rendered immobile by piggy plague again. :)

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='777111' date='Mar 17 2010, 10:34 AM']Conan, if you're interested in trying a Barefaced cab, remember that Alex offers a one-month trial period. Buy one; if you don't like it, send it back for a refund. Alternatively, wait for another NE Bash (time for another one, guys?) and I'll bring my Vintage.[/quote]

That's probably a good idea, but I would feel somehow fraudulent doing that! :) At the moment I can't afford a new cab of any description so buying one just to return it after a month would feel wrong to me...

The Bass Bash idea is a very good one though! I'm looking forward to meeting some of the local guys and I can't make it down to the Yorks bash this weekend... Although my gear will seem very low-rent compared to some of the stuff you lads own!! :lol:

Hopefully I will be trying a Compact this weekend if WoT and I can get something sorted. :rolleyes:

I think a North East Bass Bash is on the cards....

I have no car now due to living literally in the centre of Newcastle and it was just a waste to have it sat there when I can walk and get in shape more. That will mean a lack of my gear at the bash....but maybe I can work around that.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='777334' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:16 PM']I think a North East Bass Bash is on the cards....

I have no car now due to living literally in the centre of Newcastle and it was just a waste to have it sat there when I can walk and get in shape more. That will mean a lack of my gear at the bash....but maybe I can work around that.[/quote]

After all you've said about the TC gear, I'll come and pick you up myself!! :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='738888' date='Feb 8 2010, 01:08 PM']The issue with strings going missing.....
I tried my basses through a 15 with the horn turned down and the g string was too light coming across.
I really really didn't like this and considered pick-up height.
I then..of course..tried the bass with a 2x10 and no such issues at all.

Now, I don't use the 15 as a standalone anyway and always have a 2x10 with horn on top but it did strike me that if all you had
was a 15, then you would have to get busy with your EQ or mess around with the bass if going between speaker configs.

For me, the worst config would be a 15 on its own...no one uses 18's anymore, but each to their own.[/quote]

A lot of this depends what bass you're playing and what sound you're using. I've always successfully used single 15s with my Ricks which have a much more even string balance than most other basses I've played (yes, even the graphite ones). Every other bass I've owned has tended to have a bigger E but smaller A, D and G, so the disappearing upper register is a non-issue for me. I really tend to dislike horns too and the first thing I always do is turn them off.

[quote name='4000' post='778021' date='Mar 17 2010, 09:41 PM']A lot of this depends what bass you're playing and what sound you're using. I've always successfully used single 15s with my Ricks which have a much more even string balance than most other basses I've played (yes, even the graphite ones). Every other bass I've owned has tended to have a bigger E but smaller A, D and G, so the disappearing upper register is a non-issue for me. I really tend to dislike horns too and the first thing I always do is turn them off.[/quote]

Of course, it depends on the sound you want...but I want bite at the top end, but not presence so a speaker with a roll off of around 2-3k isn't going to do it without a LOT of EQ. This can be the problem with some 12's as well, you loose the character of the string in a greatr BIG hole. I am also bemused as to why some speakers are such a drain on power or why you would want to do this. My amp has a degree of sub which isn't useable to all intents and purposes as it wipes out the volume capable, and also sounds crap...
I never go over halfway with the bass...or about level/flat.. and run all the bottom end off the para EQ..it is far better this way, IMV
It is better to let the sound blossom rather than have the bass sound heavy right at the cab...that can lead to boomy uncontrolable nonsense out front. I almost try and have to sound within a mtr or so, pretty damn sharp and let the bass element come through and breathe.

I run an old SM400 which I always want to replace but can never find anything much better. I could do with a bit more power at times, so might see what is out there...but there was a tangent...

In fact, I might post this as a new thread