Why become a member? ×

Gigged the Barefaced Compact again last night...

wateroftyne

Hi folks

I had a gig last night at a venue with the load-in from hell. Walk across a yard, through a room, up some stairs, through a room, up some stairs, through a room, up some stairs and walk to the back of the concert room. Nightmare.

As I've still the Northern Compact sitting in my music room (probably not for much longer), I thought I'd take it along....

The gig was in a large room with PA support. The stage area is quite large, the drummer is loud and the bass doesn't go in the monitors, so the cab still needed to do a decent job of filling the stage area. I put the cab on a table behind me, and turned it in towards the drummer slightly.

Well... I had mentioned after a previous gig with the Compact that I'd struggled with string balance, and couldn't hear the A, D and G strings at all. I take it back - I can categorically state that it was an issue with the pickups in my bass which I've since resolved.

The cab did a great job for the situation I was in. I was pushing it pretty hard, with a little nudge on the bass to fill out the bottom a bit. The cab handled it very well indeed (of course the FOH subs were helping this along, too). The string balance was even, and even though i was using my J with flats and the tone knob rolled right off, the cab still had plenty of snap and growl when needed.

As has been mentioned, unless you're a clicketty-clack slapper, these cabs have plenty of top-end where it counts. I might actually prefer the smoother, more focussed top of the BFB to the Bergs... I'd need a few more gigs with it to tell, though.

If I could be 100% sure that 1) I'd have PA support at every gig or 2) The bands I play with are pretty quiet, or 3) most of my gigs were small-to-medium-sized pubs, a Compact would be on my shopping list. The Bergs still cover all my bases (and they do thump more, but that's a whole other Neo vs. Ceramic debate) but the trade-off is price and weight.

Also, bearing in mind this cab has been around the block and back twenty times, it's still in very good nick. I've got no problems with the construction.

Edited by wateroftyne

The issue with strings going missing.....
I tried my basses through a 15 with the horn turned down and the g string was too light coming across.
I really really didn't like this and considered pick-up height.
I then..of course..tried the bass with a 2x10 and no such issues at all.

Now, I don't use the 15 as a standalone anyway and always have a 2x10 with horn on top but it did strike me that if all you had
was a 15, then you would have to get busy with your EQ or mess around with the bass if going between speaker configs.

For me, the worst config would be a 15 on its own...no one uses 18's anymore, but each to their own.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='737931' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:23 AM'].....As I've still the Northern Compact sitting in my music room (probably not for much longer), I thought I'd take it along....Also, bearing in mind this cab has been around the block and back twenty times, it's still in very good nick. I've got no problems with the construction.[/quote]

Any idea where it's off to next WoT? I'd love to give it a bash and I suspect I'm pretty local to you.... The Big One is the one I'm really interested in, but in terms of mass, sound and construction etc I could learn a lot from the Compact I suspect. Even if I could just borrow it for an evening...

If that sounds like an option could you maybe PM me? Cheers!

Hello Conan!

Well, technically it's not on tour any more. Alex recalled them because the newer versions are lighter, etc.

I've been waiting for Alex to get in touch (haven't heard from him in ages) but it seems he's been talking to another local BC'er who wants to buy it, and they're coming to pick it up tonight so they can try it.

Sorry about that...

[quote name='Conan' post='738913' date='Feb 8 2010, 01:36 PM']The Big One is the one I'm really interested in, but in terms of mass, sound and construction etc I could learn a lot from the Compact I suspect....[/quote]

Hi Conan,

The Compact sounds nothing like The BigOne (other than they are both bass cabs).
Chalk and cheese.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='737931' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:23 AM']I had a gig last night at a venue with the load-in from hell. Walk across a yard, through a room, up some stairs, through a room, up some stairs, through a room, up some stairs and walk to the back of the concert room. Nightmare.[/quote]
What's the venue? Name and shame! (Bet you were glad you didn't take the Bergs...)

EDIT: Just checked the Caffs site and it must be South Shields Football Club. Don't think there's much chance of me having to worry about ever playing there...

Edited by BottomEndian

South Shields football club. Great gig, great people, but... my God. Whoever designed that building HATES musicians.

If I'd had the Bergs, they probably would have killed me. They're an easy enough lift for a short time, but anything like this and I'd have been left with arms like Mr. Tickle.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='739772' date='Feb 9 2010, 10:52 AM']...I'd have been left with arms like Mr. Tickle.[/quote]
That would be no bad thing for a bass player. Imagine the super-long scale monsters you could play with that reach.

That said, he's only got 4 digits per hand.

Anyway, enough about children's characters. We don't want to drift onto Miss Rabbit again...

• 1 month later...

Used it again last night for a gig in a noisy pub with PA support. It was a pleasure.

Tell you what, if all my gigs had PA support, I'd have one.

In fact, I'd love to have two for when I need to go the whole hog, but they're slightly to big to fit two in the car with everything else.

What's happened to Alex @ Barefaced ? I thought I was next on the list for the first new Tour cab but heard nothing. I was hoping to try the cab over a run of gigs I had in Feb but it's all gone very quiet. Being honest he's probably lost a customer. He also closed off his forum, so even the general chat/hype that got me interested in the first place has dies down to nothing. Same goes for his website, it's half finished with pictures missing and the likes.

[quote name='largo' post='773500' date='Mar 13 2010, 11:20 AM']What's happened to Alex @ Barefaced ? I thought I was next on the list for the first new Tour cab but heard nothing. I was hoping to try the cab over a run of gigs I had in Feb but it's all gone very quiet. Being honest he's probably lost a customer. He also closed off his forum, so even the general chat/hype that got me interested in the first place has dies down to nothing. Same goes for his website, it's half finished with pictures missing and the likes.[/quote]

From what i can gather, Alex has spent a month or two focussing on getting his orders out the way and focussing on where he's going next with the cabs. I'm sure he'll be back - maybe with a vengeance! :)

I had a PM chat with him a couple of days ago. He technically 'recalled' the cab I have now.. he did publically say so in the tour thread. Apparently the current versions are cosmetically updated and lighter, and the one I have isn't really representative.

It was going to be sent back to him, but someone showed an interest in buying it. In the end, they never came to collect it, so I've still got it pending further instructions. Not that I'm complaining, mind. It's come in pretty handy once or twice!

I asked him about his lack of BC action and he says business is brisk so he doesn't really need or have time to check in much anymore.

[quote name='largo' post='773837' date='Mar 13 2010, 07:44 PM']That's cool, although I'm sure he built his business on at least part of his reputation on Basschat. Wonder if he'll start coming back to the forum when/if his business starts to drop off again ![/quote]

I think the problem is, once something negative appears on a forum, it does affect the business literally straight away. Forums can make or break business in such a niche market.

I imagine he wants to stay out of the basschat world for a while as there were a few negative viewpoints being put across. The problem is, thats what happens on forums, no matter HOW GOOD your product is. If a 'duff one' makes it public, the forum will hear about it. Ive seen it happen to quite a few businesses.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='773508' date='Mar 13 2010, 11:30 AM']It was going to be sent back to him, but someone showed an interest in buying it. In the end, they never came to collect it, so I've still got it pending further instructions. Not that I'm complaining, mind. It's come in pretty handy once or twice![/quote]

Any chance of me borrowing it for a night or two WoT? I was hoping to try the Touring Big One, but failing that a chance to sample Alex's wares (as it were!) would be very welcome! I promise in advance to return it promptly!! :)

Not meaning to hijack this thread... but what really got my goat a while back was that people were being lambasted for expressing their opinions on Barefaced cabs, calling it 'hype'. I suspect some of posts were included in that. Apparently, I wasn't allowed to say how much I loved the Big One or that it kicked the poop out of my Ampeg 410 hlf. It all got very humpty. People saying 'stop the hype' and posts from 'honest men' who can't wait to give their 'honest opinions'. Mostly irritable thoughts that might have been better directed at Alex direct. He took a bit of a public kicking and hasn't been seen here much since. And I think the site is worse off for that.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='775391' date='Mar 15 2010, 04:44 PM']Not meaning to hijack this thread... but what really got my goat a while back was that people were being lambasted for expressing their opinions on Barefaced cabs, calling it 'hype'. I suspect some of posts were included in that. Apparently, I wasn't allowed to say how much I loved the Big One or that it kicked the poop out of my Ampeg 410 hlf. It all got very humpty. People saying 'stop the hype' and posts from 'honest men' who can't wait to give their 'honest opinions'. Mostly irritable thoughts that might have been better directed at Alex direct. He took a bit of a public kicking and hasn't been seen here much since. And I think the site is worse off for that.[/quote]

+1

There certainly was a perception of a 'let's jump on Alex's head' movement. I felt a bit of discomfort over its being aired openly over the forum when the points could have been settled privately.

I too feel the forum is the poorer without Alex's input.

G.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='775417' date='Mar 15 2010, 05:13 PM']Hmmm must have missed that bit. :)[/quote]

I'm afraid that WoT is absolutely right, mate. A thread kicked off in which certain [b][i]experts [/i][/b]queued up to accuse Alex of hyping his cabs, or of having them hyped for him by people like me ... trained monkeys brain-washed by Alex when we weren't looking.

Not sure what any of these [b][i]experts [/i][/b]actually know about anything, but they're very sure of themselves so it must all be true. I suppose.

:rolleyes:

Come back Alex.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='775420' date='Mar 15 2010, 05:15 PM']OK.. maybe not at strong as that, but as mentioned above it certainly felt like 'Get at Alex week' for a while...[/quote]

I was obviously looking the other way and I must have missed it as I thought Alex generally handled stuff that was dished out... shame! :)

Anyway.... aboot that cab!!

I tend to speak as I find. I read a thread about [b]ONE[/b] BC member who had issues with [b]ONE[/b] BFB cab (compact I seem to remember). Pacifically (sic) the issues were mostly related to a handle and some screws that were not quite right. Maybe a friday afternoon job I dunno.

My perception was also that a few people on here were very quick to shout "Emperor's new clothes!!" and generally claim that the BFB gear was not what it had been "hyped up to be". Very confusing to a bear of little brain like myself.

I just wanna try one....!

Edited by Conan