Why become a member? ×

I dont like my band - standard rant number 202

thunderbird13

Sorry guys just want to get this off my chest – it supposed to be therapeutic

Rant mode on -

Been playing in a Hawkwind tribute band for about 9 months now at the start it was hard to remember all the bass parts but I put the work in and got up to a reasonable standard enough to play my first gig with then in December. Now my band leader has announced that he’s changing direction and writing all his own stuff, including the bass lines which he wants me to play without any additional input from me.
OK I thought I have to be realistic I’m not that good and after a year of playing I don’t think I have improved much so I’m pretty much stuck at a level somewhere rank beginner and average. So why not just accept it learn his stuff and get on with it – at least I’m still in a band.
But it’s beginning to get me down – his new stuff isn’t that good and frankly I’m getting bored playing it and I have some resentment to not being allowed to change it to make it more interesting. Try as hard as I can I just cant get excited about it
I have enquired about 2 more bands that have advertised for a bass player recently but after 2 or 3 emails both of them have gone quiet, which is similar to the experience I have this time last year. It took me about a year to find a band and now it looks like its going to be the same again. TBH I really don’t know if I can be bothered with it anymore.

Rant mode off -

Thank you for your time - now about your business :)

Start your own band.
Put your own ads out stating the kind of stuff you want to play and the kind of people you want to play with.
As a reasonable chap you might just attract like minded people to you.

The day people tell me what bass line to play is the day they get precisioned. He sounds like an arrogant ****er.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='732636' date='Feb 2 2010, 10:25 AM']Now my band leader has announced that he’s changing direction and writing all his own stuff, including the bass lines which he wants me to play without any additional input from me.[/quote]

In that case, he's not changing direction. He's terminating the old band and starting a new one. Act accordingly.

How do the other band members feel? Maybe they actually want to be in a Hawkwind tribute band. In which case, start a "new" Hawkwind tribute band and poach the lot of them.

S.P.

Leave, mate.

OR

Use them for your own learning experience.

Two of my bands write the basslines and I have to play them as is, although I augment and improvise around them a bit when we play live. The difference is they are very good basslines and the bands are seasoned pros who have written and released many albums. So I have absolutely no problem with that, I know my place as a hired gun.

Your situation doesn't sound as pleasant.

Yup that's not the band you signed up for..

+ on take everyone but the "leader" and start a new band doing what you were doing before... You'll have to find a singer which may be a challenge but at least you can call the shots...

Also go back to the adverts cos now you have a year's worth of band experience and some gigs under you belt. You may get more replies this time.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='732644' date='Feb 2 2010, 10:30 AM']Start your own band.
Put your own ads out stating the kind of stuff you want to play and the kind of people you want to play with.
As a reasonable chap you might just attract like minded people to you.

The day people tell me what bass line to play is the day they get precisioned. He sounds like an arrogant ****er.[/quote]

+10000!
Don´t take orders from a prat like that mate.
Tell him to stuff it, and walk.
Start your own band with people you get on with and who´ll play the music that you wan to play.

[quote name='basshead56' post='732671' date='Feb 2 2010, 10:50 AM']+10000!
Don´t take orders from a prat like that mate.
Tell him to stuff it, and walk.
Start your own band with people you get on with and who´ll play the music that you wan to play.[/quote]

+10001

Not that playing written bass lines is a bad thing, but you need to feel respect for the person writing them. So if you don't, move on.

Hey, (unless you're getting paid) it's supposed to be fun.

Tell the guitarist exactly how you feel, point out that maybe he should leave, or start another band, since he doesnt want to be in this one anymore. After all this is a Hawkwind tribute band, not an originals band at all. I'd have a chat with the others first to see what they feel, and if they are with you get an guitarist wanted advert printed out and give him a couple of copies to take with him as he leaves. The look on his face should be priceless :)

If he wants to do two bands, then point out that his basslines aren't at all inspiring and need considerable reworking, if you are to stay in the originals band he is trying to put together. Other wise he is welcome to get another bassist for that band, you aren't interested.

Be prepared to walk if this goes badly, but dont get down about music because of one persons inability to stick with the gameplan.

thanks for the replies TBH I didnt think that anyone would reply as I get a bit bored reading these types of threads. Still just for the record we're a trio and as far as I'm aware the drummer is keen to do original stuff as well. In addition to this is the complication thats its a social thing as well and we go to gigs and have beers together. I suppose I'll stick it out and look for something else in the meantime

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='732698' date='Feb 2 2010, 11:21 AM']thanks for the replies TBH I didnt think that anyone would reply as I get a bit bored reading these types of threads. Still just for the record we're a trio and as far as I'm aware the drummer is keen to do original stuff as well. In addition to this is the complication thats its a social thing as well and we go to gigs and have beers together. I suppose I'll stick it out and look for something else in the meantime[/quote]

The bloke who's announced the change of direction is therefore technically a 'mate' and not your boss. You're in it for fun. Tell him it's no fun to play his bass lines exactly as written. Mayvbe write a few tunes yourself and bring them to the table too. It matters not what your standard is compared to them. Are you a group? Or are an egotists rythm section/backing band? Original stuff is 100 times more fun if everybidy can contribute freely. I have form in this.

What makes him 'band leader'? I encounter this phrase all the time but struggle to see how it fits into the grand scheme of things in many bands.

Does he own the rights to the band name, logo, etc...
Does he own publishing rights for all material, etc...
Does he pay the band members a standard salary?

If NOTA appliy and he's not some musical genius, then he's not a 'band leader' per se, just someone with more dominating personality than the rest of the band. If it were me, I'd start standing up to him and if he has a problem with it, he can eject you from the band. Chances are, the other bandmates all feel the same way and none of them has the strength of conviction to stand up to him.

I know it's probably tough but have you sat down with the guy and told him how you feel?

If you want to stay on as mates then maybe call a 'band meeting' and try to be as open and honest as possible.

I've been through this a few times and the band meet stuff has flushed things out into the open and generally solved the problems.

Sometimes it can get a bit unpleasant but it's better to do this than bottle stuff up and be brooding about it all the time.

I'm amazed you're still sticking it out. It seems that as far as the guitarist is concerned it you are not a band member but a hired hand. I've been in that situation myself in only one band out of all the bands I've been in and it was completely soul destroying.

Being told to play this or that bassline and if I deviate from it it's "why are you playing that" pissed me off more than anything else I've experienced in a band ever. Above all else band members should have a degree of mutual respect for each other and it sounds like that is completely lacking. If you are a hired hand then you should be asking the "band leader" how much he is going to pay you for your time.

It also sounds like one of your main reasons for staying in this band is that you lack confidence in your own ability. That's something most musicians go through at some time or another, I know I did for many years. It's the fear of not being able to find another band so you stay unhappy in the one you're in. It's easy for someone to say you should tell them to stick it but once you are not in a band it feels like a much bigger hill to climb to get back in one. Unfortunately only experience will build your confidence but in a few years you will look back and think "Why the hell did I stay with that twat for so long".

The only way to overcome that is to just get out and look. Put ads or answer ads in Partysounds, Gumtree, Musofinder, Adtrader, Bandmix and JoinMyBand and just communicate with other musicians. You will usually be talking by email so you're not under any pressure or obligation to go along with anything. Just remember there are more bands and people looking for bassists than there are bassists available. In no time at all you will find other people with a better attitude who you will get along with socially just as well, and if it doesn't work out there is always another band around the corner and you will have more experience on your playing CV.

It could be that he writes some really cool lines and you learn from it!?

Ask him why he wants no input from you!
And if he is genuinely just wanting people to play his stuff note for note....in that instance, I would want paying for each gig and rehearsal.

Si

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='732636' date='Feb 2 2010, 10:25 AM']I have enquired about 2 more bands that have advertised for a bass player recently but after 2 or 3 emails both of them have gone quiet, which is similar to the experience I have this time last year.[/quote]

That's absolutely normal. Don't take it personally. Lots of people think starting a band is a good idea and start advertising. Then after the initial enthusism wears off or they discover that it'll be too much hard work or they just can't organise a piss up in a brewery they lose interest.

Lots of good, sound advice above! Without knowing the people involved its hard to be specific but what you need to ask yourself is "am I enjoying this"? If the answer is no, and you can see no way forward then it seems to me that life is just too short and precious (think about Tim Kennelly!) to waste your time in a voluntary situation that you have outgrown!

On the other hand, if they are your mates and there are positives - speak to them and see if you can turn the situation to your advantage. "Better the devil you know" and all that...

Just my opinion of course!

Alistair, you fancy getting a [b]Hillage [/b]tribute together? We could do the whole of Live Herald. I reckon there's a market, don't you?

It would have to be the start of next year due to me being really busy this year with my non-musical education schedule, but we can learn stuff in the mean time.

I can play guitar like Hillage, hell, I grew up playing Hillage numbers, but I'd have to relearn them. I can sing like Hillage and I reckon, if I get the curlers out and wear a tea cosy on me head, I can look like Hillage, I certainly have his teeth :rolleyes:

I can certainly sort out an ace drummer and probably a mini-Miquette on keys. I can swap my Squier Tele for a Steinberger.

We could do a band build diary on here :)

What d'ya reckon? I'm serious mate.

[quote name='silddx' post='733435' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:34 PM']Alistair, you fancy getting a [b]Hillage [/b]tribute together? We could do the whole of Live Herald. I reckon there's a market, don't you?

It would have to be the start of next year due to me being really busy this year with my non-musical education schedule, but we can learn stuff in the mean time.

I can play guitar like Hillage, hell, I grew up playing Hillage numbers, but I'd have to relearn them. I can sing like Hillage and I reckon, if I get the curlers out and wear a tea cosy on me head, I can look like Hillage, I certainly have his teeth :lol:

I can certainly sort out an ace drummer and probably a mini-Miquette on keys. I can swap my Squier Tele for a Steinberger.

We could do a band build diary on here :)

What d'ya reckon? I'm serious mate.[/quote]

:rolleyes: I d be up for it but do you honestly think there would be a market for it ? I'll have a chat with you about that later

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='733450' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:40 PM']:) I d be up for it but do you honestly think there would be a market for it ? I'll have a chat with you about that later[/quote]
Course there is!

[color="#FF0000"][size=7][b]YOU LOT! Would you like to see a Hillage Tribute?[/b][/size][/color]

See?

Edited by silddx