Why become a member? ×

Bass and drum synergy - what's the secret?

Sue

Hi there,

Being fairly new to bass playing (and very new to basschat), I know the importance of the connection between the drummer and the bass player, but what I am most interested in is how you get that real synergy between you - that kind of organic feel? What's the secret?

Thanks

Sue

To get it good, you have to practice. TO get it great - noone knows. That's why its so great when it happens.

One thing that is important, however, is your respective sounds. A poorly chosen ride cymbal can kill your bass sound. A great one can lift it and let it fly.

If you jam together a lot (hours at a time) with just the two of you you can start to predict what each other are doing. Just play what you feel like and listen to each other and don't stop. Take fills of 8 each then 4 then two then one. Lock into the groove go away from it come back, change key. You can also come up with some great grooves this way. If you don't know where to start just start with something you know and develop it into something else. If you want to, you can try some classic rhythm section stuff from bootsty and beyond but you don't have to try and replicate it exactly just have fun with it.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='728902' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:38 PM']One thing that is important, however, is your respective sounds. A poorly chosen ride cymbal can kill your bass sound. A great one can lift it and let it fly.[/quote]

I agree. "Bad" cymbals are awful hateful things.

It's surprising how many musicians completely forget (or don't understand) anything about frequencies and leaving space for others to occupy them (or not).

Interesting... just to come back on a couple of comments, I am quite happy not to stand still - in fact it's hard for me not to wriggle about a bit! The thought of spending hours alone with our drummer fills me with dread - on a personal level, we are not a match made in heaven you might say...

[quote name='Sue' post='728980' date='Jan 29 2010, 05:40 PM']Interesting... just to come back on a couple of comments, I am quite happy not to stand still - in fact it's hard for me not to wriggle about a bit! The thought of spending hours alone with our drummer fills me with dread - on a personal level, we are not a match made in heaven you might say...[/quote]

You don't have to spend hours practising together to get a tight groove. If you work together regularly
you get an idea of how each other plays,but when you play with someone new take a few bars to sit back
and listen without playing.Listen to where they place the beat and the slight inflections in their hi-hats.
Everyone has their own sense of groove,it's just a matter of listening and finding your place where you
both meet.

[quote name='Sue' post='728980' date='Jan 29 2010, 05:40 PM']Interesting... just to come back on a couple of comments, I am quite happy not to stand still - in fact it's hard for me not to wriggle about a bit! The thought of spending hours alone with our drummer fills me with dread - on a personal level, we are not a match made in heaven you might say...[/quote]

I guess practicing for hours together isn't always possible. It's better if it is a two way street as far as listening to each other. Sometimes you just have to watch them. When it's a noisy room and hard to hear anything it's good to watch the hihat.

A great thing to do is practice everything with a drum machine. Any cheap drum machine will do as long as you like the sounds.
Find the tempo that you would normally play something in your set, then half it and practice it at that slow speed until you feel you are really on every note. Take a break have a cup of tea then try it at normal tempo and you should find that you are really locked into the groove.
You can practice anything using this method and it will really improve your timing, you might not notice the results straight away but if you keep it up after a few days you will really start to lock in on the groove.

If you really want to find out what is going on with your playing then record yourself with the drum machine and listen back and you can figure out if you are ahead or behind the beat and put the notes where you want them to be.
You can break up the slow practice with a bit of improvising with the drum machine if you find that you are starting to lose concentration.

Edited by dub

[quote]....Bass and drum synergy - what's the secret?....[/quote]
Ears and empathy. A good rhythm section is like twins. You have to be on the same wavelength.

You're both playing different parts of the same thing, so make it flow and make it fit.

And +1 to the drummer doing the same thing back.

And another +1 to getting that hi-hat into your ears. Not always possible in a pub band setting, but if you're lucky enough to be able to get a custom monitor mix, make sure the hi-hat is there, and try to stand on that side of the kit if you can. The bass drum is tghe lock, but the hi-hat can be the groove and accent part.

The hi-hat is the only thing I can hear from the drummer I've been jamming with lately. But I think has more to do with the acoustics of the soundproofed garage we've been wasting hours in :)
[attachment=41685:images.jpeg]

Or you could get one of these, far less temperamental :rolleyes:

Edited by Marvin

It's just magic and familiarity really. Depends on what sort of music you play and how much you are into drums and the dynamics of the music. I can second guess the fills and accents of one of the drummers I play with and follow them with the bass. But I've been playing on and off with him for over ten years. Also, I spent years programming drums, I love drum tutorial vids, and I play drums a little bit, it all helps.

In the end, there's no secret. In fact there's no rule about playing WITH the drums at all. I often write lines that follow the vocal. Down to taste in the end I suppose, what's best for the song.

I think it is easier if the drummer and bass player get along on a personal level, but its by no means essential! I've played with drummers who I have had no personal time for, but we have gelled well - and another guy who is a great mate, but I just can't get into the way he plays! It's really frustrating, and maybe it just needs more practice - but I do believe that there is a "compatability" thing here sometimes. Maybe he's just not "my type"!!