Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH300SMX

XPAULUSX

[quote name='mikebass78' post='723994' date='Jan 25 2010, 12:31 PM']Wooly sounding E could be string/pup height, might need to tweak your setup slightly?[/quote]

I play with a fairly low action to be honest, sometimes with a plectrum, sometimes with fingers. Would a wooly E suggest that it was too close or too far away from the pickup?

You should use it with another cab. Here´s my expierience:
I have a vintage SVT rig of which the head was acting up one day before a gig. I took my Trace 600SMX to the show as spare and had to use it. But I could get neither sound nor volume out of my 8x10". I thought there´s something wrong with the Trace, too, but the next day it worked perfectly with my Boogie 2x10" cabs and still goes strong up to today (7 years in between).

[quote name='jensenmann' post='730764' date='Jan 31 2010, 04:52 PM']You should use it with another cab. Here´s my expierience:
I have a vintage SVT rig of which the head was acting up one day before a gig. I took my Trace 600SMX to the show as spare and had to use it. But I could get neither sound nor volume out of my 8x10". I thought there´s something wrong with the Trace, too, but the next day it worked perfectly with my Boogie 2x10" cabs and still goes strong up to today (7 years in between).[/quote]

or use another head :)

• 2 years later...

[b]For classic rock sound select preshape 2 with the preshape button on.This takes out the graphic but in most situations it isn't required.Set low end cop at 10-12 and high end at 8.Then use the eq balance for tone depending on room.[/b]
[b]Works well for me and bass players always complement me on the tone/cut.Using a P bass deluxe and a Eden Nemesis 4 x 10 cab[/b]
[b]Iain[/b]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='XPAULUSX' timestamp='1263904352' post='717724']
Hey, as you may have read from a previous thread i own a Trace Elliot AH300SMX.

i managed to aqcuire this amp off a friend as it was broken and he had already replaced his entire rig with GK stuff.

only paid 80 quid to get it fixed, good deal or what?!

i'm cosidering upgrading my head at some stage with something else but was just wanting to know what kind of reputation my Trace has, is it worth keeping?

Thanks

Paul :mellow:
[/quote] I bought mine in about 1995-ish, gigged it hard, still use it from time to time and wouldn't part with it. Lovely kit.

I would just try another cab, even if you have to borrow one or bring the head to a store to try a few. I've never owned the SVT410hlf but it appears to be a common characteristic of that cab to have tons of low end and shy mids. Cutting through is all about the mids and the Trace should easily cope with that. I've had a lot of Trace heads and they cut through very easily, although sounded different with different cabs. Worth a try?

[quote] name=XPAULUSX
any advice on the hollow stage situation?
[/quote]
I learned 30 years ago if your on a stage and want a tight sound
lift the cab off it,
I have been using something like this..
for years now and it great...
[attachment=120099:stand.jpg]

Depending what one i use I stick both my Trace 4 x10 or my swr red head on it,
the legs are extendable so you can have any height you want, because its higher
you can hear it clear as a bell so makes you play better tighter it also brings down the stage volume
so the sound man will love you.
Try it you wont look back !

Reg trace elliot,.....
I have just starting using my Ah350 and MK1 4x10 again on the above stand
and it sounds tighter than a gnats chuff.
the only time i put a cab on a box stage floor is in a marquee where you need the bass to project
and then i use my SWR 6x10 and a SM500 pro.

The ah350, i sold my old one and after a while i missed it, so i hunted for another one
and found this one, so this one is staying now, i love it, not as open as the swr but great for what im using it for at the mo. the mk 1 4x10 i have had for 30years ish.
i should uprate the speakers for the 350 but because of the stand i dont have to have it loud and so never bothered as it sounds so good. ;)

Edited by funkgod

I have the previous Trace Series 6 AH200 head. I favour boosting the low mids for a tone that really cuts through. I rarely go above 1.5 on the volume and have been told I'm too loud a few times. I only go through the PA in larger pubs. Any Trace should deliver a massive sound and volume. Your's should be more than man enough.

For the hollow stage try a gramma pad form Auralex [url="http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp"]http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp[/url] I have one ad they do work. Many BC's sing their praises if you do a search.

+1on a different cab. Maybe lookout for a cheap Trace cab?

• 2 months later...

Having speakers at lug height makes such a difference.

Now sporting 2x10 atop 1x15 and loving it.

No problems hearing myself.

At reherarsal the other day, the guitarist was using a Mesa Boogie MKV with extension cabinet.
Nobody could accuse a Boogie of being quiet.

The Trace setup as per sig was more than up to it.

Your 4x10 in an elevated position should work far better for you.

ive had my ah300smx from new, it used to be gigged
now ive just got it setup in my new music room with a gk 115 and a marshall 15 cab
bit loud for house but looks nice and i mainly use my blx80 at home though
i cant see me ever getting rid of the smx it does everything ive ever needed from a bass head :D

Edited by stu_g

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1357406094' post='1922250']
I had a AH400 GP12SMX and sold it. MASSIVE MISTAKE. I would have it back in a heartbeat. Beautiful head and super versatile.
[/quote]

I love my valve amps and I see it unlikely that I'll be going back any time soon but...

I also really miss my 400SMX as it was probably the best graphic trace I ever owned or indeed built(?). It had plenty of power and looked the nuts with it's UV lamp. For my uses, it was even better than the 600 I had for many years. I should have kept it but sold it to buy motorbikes..

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1357430727' post='1922703']

I love my valve amps and I see it unlikely that I'll be going back any time soon but...

I also really miss my 400SMX as it was probably the best graphic trace I ever owned or indeed built(?). It had plenty of power and looked the nuts with it's UV lamp. For my uses, it was even better than the 600 I had for many years. I should have kept it but sold it to buy motorbikes..
[/quote]

I had that amp. Fantastic.

Edited by Musicman20

I would have another 400 if one came up a the right monies..

I also had the 300 which was great, the SMX pre-amp is a stunning bit of kit. I ran that with a 2103H and an 1153 (2x10 and 1x15) and it was a great big little rig if you catch my drift. I later sold the 2103H and 300SMX and got a 600 with the 1048H (4x10) which was a monster big-rig..

When I win the lottery I'll get a 400SMX, 1048H and a 1518 rig like my friend Lee used to have. It was the nuts! It'll look great next my Ashton valve kit! :lol:

• 2 years later...

[quote name='yanto' timestamp='1347730748' post='1804438']
[b]For classic rock sound select preshape 2 with the preshape button on.This takes out the graphic but in most situations it isn't required.Set low end cop at 10-12 and high end at 8.Then use the eq balance for tone depending on room.[/b]
[b]Works well for me and bass players always complement me on the tone/cut.Using a P bass deluxe and a Eden Nemesis 4 x 10 cab[/b]
[b]Iain[/b]
[/quote].

Exactly this. Preshape 1 sounds great for noodling in the bedroom but for live performance just set it to preshape 2 and alter the EQ balance to suit. It never fails to sound great. Cuts through like nothing else 😎

Where are you practicing? If it has a wooden floor, then you will be pushed to get a good sound regardless. If this is the case, try a grammar under the cabs. I use a GP12SMX and as mentioned previously, I never need to change the EQ settings. As standard, I set the EQ to a smiley face - slightly lower mids with slightly raised top and bottom, playing through a 2x10 and 1x15. I then only change pre-shapes or tweak the knobs, not the EQ. Having a valve or solid pre on mine, I always keep the pre to full valve. I have tried other heads, but I keep coming back to the TE head.

Gig-tested my 300SMX now. The more I play this amp, the more I love it. I simply can't get over how good it is, and it only cost £180 !! Not just good for the money, this is the best amp I have ever played.
The simple punch and fullness is outstanding and the graphic works in a way that makes an Ashdown 7 band EQ (a la ABM) simply feel like a placebo. The compressor is actually useful (if used subtley). Can't recommend it enough.
I was shaking the room (at church no less) last week and only later discovered that I'd accidently knocked the 30Hz slider up a notch. Wow - sub bass central. Not especially loud where I was using it, but a very different experience putting out such a lot of sub.
At a proper gig, the Trace 300W "felt" the same as my GK 1001's 700 watts. I only got to just over 3 on the MV through my 2x12. My only worry had been that 300W would not be enough, but there will be no issues with that.
Amp GAS has now officially gone.

Gigged one of these for years and loved it. Only problem I ever had, which was nothing to do with the Trace, was when I played in a band where the guitarist used a Les Paul, played really loud and hogged a lot of the low frequencies with his sound. On the odd occasions he played something else )especially a Tele) the sound was spot on.

I think it's the cab being honest. I got rid of my hlf for that exact reason. I couldn't get any decent mid range out of the thing (typical ampeg), sounded great on its own but got lost with the band, and yes I was playing metal as well. Those hlf cabs have got massive arse end but nowt in the middle. I also was using a trace amp, be it the V4 valve amp not an smx.

As soon as I bought my matamp 4x10 everything was fixed 😃