Why become a member? ×

what do you keep your kit in

i play in a gigging band so it's crucial that i've got something fairly sturdy, reasonably compact and light to carry my gig stuff around in - eg. leads, speaker leads, fold up stand, strings and tools and that sort of thing. I'm using boss pedal cases for my guitar and bass pedal boards at the minute and once i junk them in favour of proper boards i can take the footswitch out of the case.

I'm currently using a B&Q plastic tool box for all this stuff, it's got mini compartments for stuff like screwdrivers, picks, capos, etc but the handle fell off it!

Any suggestions?

I keep strings, batteries, plectrums (not that I use them, but it's nice to know they're there), a few tools like allen keys and wire cutters in my gig bag, and I have a briefcase sized flight case for pedals and plenty of cables. If I was to take my rockstand I'd just carry it on its own I think.

part of the reason i like to keep the lot together is because i play the guitar in another band and use most of the same kit for the guitar stuff.
plus don't want to use gig bags and don't have the same volume of pockets in a hard case. what can you fit in an mm case instead of a bass?

MB1.

Best place to have a look john is your local carboot, providing youve not had too many tinned tomatoes the night before.bound to be loads this weekend.got a nice aluminium case previously used by a artist for his brushes and stuff cost me £2.00 had it a good while now nice ,light and virtually indestructible.only problem with the old carboot is restraint you can end up with a lot of stuff you dont need(similar to looking in your workdesk!)THIS SHOULD BE THE CHEAPEST OPTION THOUGH!

MB1.

I bought a cheaper version of this. [attachment=274:gl34m_new2004.jpg]
no compartments. its ok for leads. but i had a couple of pedals floating around in there and when i came to use them i found they did'nt work, lesson learnt. i use that one for leads and something dedicated for pedals.

Heh .. I've thought about getting proper cases and stuff but in the end I decided that it was too much trouble (although I'm always reviewing the situation).
I keep my main guitar lead in my bass case. The cables for my amp go in the amp case. The cables for my pedal board go in the rockbag I've got to carry it around in.

By distributing the cables around like that I know that whatever piece of kit I've got, I'm guaranteed to have the minimum number of cables needed to actually make it work.

The only thing that bothers me is that I'm a bit light on spares ....

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='6663' date='May 25 2007, 05:08 PM']ideally what i want is something that i don't have lots of layers of stuff so i can get to something easily and then put the stuff away again.
a bag wouldn't be any good cos i'd probably spend most of the time rooting around in it[/quote]

I use a bag type holdall thing and it is the root to all evil :)

[quote name='simon73' post='6533' date='May 25 2007, 02:40 PM']I have a small Stanley plastic tool box for all my leads, Strings and tools. Mine came from B&Q. They are so cheap, just get a new one. They do metal ones which are a bit more sturdy.[/quote]

[quote name='simon73' post='6988' date='May 26 2007, 05:26 AM']I used to use a big holdall bag, but it just collect crap! You never know what you will find at the bottom.[/quote]

Of course, life would be great if only you DID keep them in the box! Tell the truth - there are wires trailing all over the spare room floor...

No mention of the stand I see... :)

• 7 years later...

I adopt a 2 tier system - use a Halford's soft tool bag [url="http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_261431_langId_-1_categoryId_255214"]http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_261431_langId_-1_categoryId_255214[/url] for rehearsabilia, which I then carry inside a larger holdall together with all the extra gigabilia.

I have the mono M80 with the extra little bag on the front (guitar tick or something they call it)

Enough space for my folding stand, all my tools an extention lead and some gaffa tape, plenty of compartments too.

Best thing is it attaches to the gigbag so I've got everything on my back, leaving one hand free to carry my pedalboard and the other hand free so I can waggle my finger at youngsters when I'm grumbling at them....

A set of 5 soft cases for the drums, a 'vanity case' for the pedals and a medium wooden chest for accessories. The cymbals go in a flight case. Cymbals stands are pre-mounted and are therefore bulky and clumsy; no decent way to do other than cart them about as lumps of metal. The seat is also kept 'as is'; it's a recycled seat from an agricultural machine. Unbreakable, but heavy and awkward.
Oh, and a carpet/rug which rolls up. :)

Pedal board and both amp heads are fully flight cased.
Cabs just have Roqsolid covers.
Basses are either in a Mono M80 or a Hiscox (depends what they're being loaded into!)
Then I've got one of those aluminium B&Q cases for bits like my iPad clamp, leads, spares etc. It's held together with gaffer, but does the job!

Gig holdall...
Everything in there from spare mic holders, mini tool kits, tons of fuses, allen keys all cables etc etc etc ... and I have a larger tool kit in the car to call upon.
About the only thing I don't carry very often is a soldering iron but otherwise I have everything I could need or have use to call upon.

Mono dual gig bag for basses, hard cases for vulnerable guitars (Gibson, Gretsch), gig bags for tough guitars (Fender).

Guitar amp in flight case (doubles as stand), bass speakers in Roqsolid covers, bass heads in soft bags.

Guitar pedalboard in Pedaltrain soft case (stopped using hard case).

Stands in K&M bag.

Leads and assorted bits in silver camera cas, with dividers to keep smaller items in place.

Phew!