Why become a member? ×

what tune/band that got you into bass ?

phil.i.stein

Seeing Macca playing 'Paperback Writer' on TV was a defining moment for me.

After that it was my brother coming home with 'Motown Chartbusters Vol.3' (the one with the silver cover) .With not a bum track
on the album, it made me realise that bass was my destiny (although I still can't play those tunes right over 40 years later!)
Liking Motown was not common for lads when I was at school-all my mates were into Sabbath, Deep Purple and Floyd etc.
However I stuck with it,and it still remains my main influence along with lots of other great soul music (never did get into prog/metal etc.)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='708793' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:30 PM']They could at least have made an effort![/quote]
:) :rolleyes: :lol:

For me it was seeing Thin Lizzy live (& dangerous) on a Whistle Test special that made me want to be in a band in any capacity. It was Lemmy, particularly on Space Ritual, that signed and sealed the deal bass-wise.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='RhysP' post='708803' date='Jan 11 2010, 01:43 PM']I'm pretty sure it was a "real" bass sampled into Dolby's Fairlight & then sequenced.
I'm a big fan of Thomas Dolby.[/quote]Correct. The bassline to "Hot Sauce" from "Aliens Ate My Buick" is comprised from over 50 samples of The Lost Toy People bassist.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='709139' date='Jan 11 2010, 06:24 PM']Correct. The bassline to "Hot Sauce" from "Aliens Ate My Buick" is comprised from over 50 samples of The Lost Toy People bassist.[/quote]

Killer album! Terry Jackson (with an appalling mullet!) gets the bass credit. TBH even the synth bass lines are really good.

For the uninitiated....

& my own particular favourite piece of B-Movie Schlock-horror Jazz...

Doin' the Crazy Walk by the Chris Barber Jazz Band. From the Echoes of Harlem LP. Mickey Ashman was the DB player and his 2/4 work is spare, economical and effective. Then he lifts the whole thing by breaking into 4/4 for the front line solos. You guys will probably dismiss this as 'Trad' but if you can find it just listen and see how it hooked me and showed how a bass line should be put together. It started me on a long journey of bass fulfillment.

I think all mine have already been covered. From my formative years (before I played anything other than piano):

Paul Simon - [i]Graceland[/i]
Paul Young - [i]No Parlez[/i]
Peter Gabriel - all his solo albums

And once I started playing ultra-short scale piccolo 6-strings... OK, guitars... these led me towards the bottom end:

King Crimson - [i]Red[/i]
Pixies - all the albums
Smiths - so many great lines from Andy Rourke

I'm another one namechecking Bruce Foxton from The Jam - old Brucey seems to have been very influential!

I was 12 years old so it would have been around 1980ish. Me and a couple of mates decided we were 'gonna start a band': the other 2 decided they were going to play drums and guitar so I ended up as bassplayer.

"Dad will you buy me a bass guitar?" My first bass was a Hondo Rickenfaker

Funnily enough I'm the only one who stuck with it and actually got to play in bands in the end :)

Mine was a brilliant father son moment, I was about 12 and he decided to show me some decent music (as i was listening to slipknot)
and just cracked on Zeppelins Good Times Bad Times through his LP player, i'd played a little guitar and bass in school, but after that i decided on the bass because it just really appealed. Now im a mega classic rock man an JPJ is one of my favorate players :-D