Why become a member? ×

what tune/band that got you into bass ?

phil.i.stein

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='707911' date='Jan 10 2010, 05:37 PM']I was into them from the first couple of indie singles so about a year after the name change. I don't reckon I play their stuff more than twice a year now (although I saw the reformed band a handful of times from 2002-9) but it was a big appeal as to why I got playing. I liked the bass lines in old tv shows too & my parents records had some great players on them but it was that scene that finally kick started it for me.[/quote]

I saw The Queer Boys in 1986, at the Bierkeller in Bristol, supporting The Babysitters and The Cherry Bombz. They got heckled alot and so one of the band announced there and then that they were changing their name to The Quireboys in order to (and I quote) 'stop everyone calling us p**fs'...

Mine are two bass players that are pretty much light years apart.

The first, was the guy that highlighted me to the bass itself (or as I liked to call it back then...."the guitar with only 4 strings") was Alan Longmuir of the Bay City Rollers. It was because my big sister had the hots for him. He was of no musical influence whatsoever, just the reason I was aware of the bass.

Then when I *really* discovered music for myself, I got heavily into The Jam, and primarily because of Bruce Foxton. I just loved everything about his playing, the power, the passion, and what an awesome sound. I still love listening to him, and playing along with it 30 years later.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='708127' date='Jan 10 2010, 08:25 PM']I saw The Queer Boys in 1986, at the Bierkeller in Bristol, supporting The Babysitters and The Cherry Bombz. They got heckled alot and so one of the band announced there and then that they were changing their name to The Quireboys in order to (and I quote) 'stop everyone calling us p**fs'...[/quote]

Many a happy memory of the Bierkeller. I never saw The Babysitters but I saw Buttz's next band Last of The Teenage Idols and again never saw the Cherry Bombz but I saw Andy & Nasty in Hanoi and several other bands (Cheap N Nasty, Demolition 23....). Great days!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='708178' date='Jan 10 2010, 08:53 PM']Many a happy memory of the Bierkeller. I never saw The Babysitters but I saw Buttz's next band Last of The Teenage Idols and again never saw the Cherry Bombz but I saw Andy & Nasty in Hanoi and several other bands (Cheap N Nasty, Demolition 23....). Great days![/quote]

I've yet to see Hanoi Rocks. Last time they were in London I only found out whilst queueing at a gig on the same night. Would love to see them. The Babysitters are easily one of my all-time favourite bands. First time I saw them it was just Buttz on stage and I thought it was a standup routine instead of a band. Then the roadies came on, dressed as babies. And the stage backdrop was a giant pair of Y-fronts. After searching for many months I tracked down and excerpt of the video they made for their so-called 'Japanese Tour' - you can see it [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKkk6qdQt8"]here...[/url]

Edited by Jerry_B

I had already been playing drums for a few years, and remember enjoying listening to rhythmn sections, but strangely enough, it was watching Paul McCartney closeups in the first 40 seconds of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yNcE8c3j2M"]I Am The Walrus[/url] on the Magical Mystery Tour film that made me say "I want to play bass".

I thought he looked so cool, shame I've never managed to look anything resembling cool in my time playing.

However, although I would add that there have since been players who have had much bigger influence on how I play, I still think he's great (sorry Macca haters :) )

P.S. Message to oldslapper: I love Dee Murray too. Shame he's no longer with us.

Oh man thats a hard one.
I remember 'Listen', 'Rudie Can't Fail' and 'Police on my back' by the Clash being some of the first basslines I took note of
There was probably some Metallica and The Cure ('Pictures Of You'-definately remember that!) in there too
But I think the first song I went "Right-I'm off to get a bass" to, was 'I Bleed' by the Pixies. I now want an Aria Pro II CSB-check the want ads! :) Simple little bass line but fantastic and shapes the whole song and even the sound of that band. Kim Deal is an amazing musician.
Most of my playing started out in that style, I was also vey keen on Jesus & Mary Chain- before going back to my punk roots-Ramones, Screeching Weasel, Rezillos, Descendents etc and then the crappy punk pop stuff! :rolleyes:

For me, I had already been playing bass for a while (uninspiring indie crap generally) when I got in a band with some friends - never gigged, but went round to a mates house to jam for a while!

The songs that stuck in my mind were:

36 Degrees by Placebo

The Meaning of Life by The Offspring

Love Buzz by Nirvana

That and every song off the first RATM album!

Back in 1988 when I was learning to play, this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqLSSdoW2Zc"]Dag Nasty[/url] song was a trial and then a pleasure once I got the hang of it. Still really enjoy playing it now too! I think is when I finally got the hang of playing bass.

Edited by Jerry_B

[quote name='clauster' post='708129' date='Jan 10 2010, 08:25 PM']Kiss made me want to be in a band, but I think it was Paul Gardiner of Tubeway Army that made me want to be a bassist.[/quote]

For me it was being about 13, listening to ALIVE II whilst staring at the most incredible gate-fold sleeve.
The bass feature before God of Thunder, coupled with Gene Simmons' image, scorched an indelible impression on me.
I needed to play that instrument.

[attachment=39953:gatefold.jpg]

Edited by chardbass

[quote name='jude_b' post='708310' date='Jan 10 2010, 10:42 PM']I haven't heard it for years, but, "May the cube be with you", by Thomas Dolby.

I really really hope it wasn't a synthesiser.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it was a "real" bass sampled into Dolby's Fairlight & then sequenced.
I'm a big fan of Thomas Dolby.