Why become a member? ×

Just what is the Trace Elliot Sound?

iconic

I've tried some solid-state TE over the years and I don't like them so much. IMHO they all tend to have a "gummy" trademark sound, no matter what you plug in them, very scooped, and sometimes I had problems hearing myself... I also think these solid state models don't have a great wattage/loudness ratio (I mean what's written on the amp compared to how much you effectively hear), plus I'm not a big fan of those "clicky" volume knobs :)

I'm much more happier with the somehow related Ashdowns (different concept and sound, BTW); they have a trademark sound either which I like

I bought one of the 4x10 300w combos when Electro bought a poo load of them,,

It was pretty versatile and the DI section was good also,, used an 80,s Ibanez Musician and had a great sound,,

However when upgraded to a new Warwick Streamer,, one of the first one pick/up models, and used one of the preshape EQs ended up with a KILLER sound,, in pubs would shake your internals, and had compliments almost every gig...
since then had SWR Redhead,,, also pretty awesome, but still miss that bright punch which took no effort at all,,,
Sold the bugger to pay for a night in a hotel,,,Long long story......... :)

[quote name='Toddy' post='704488' date='Jan 7 2010, 06:39 PM']Sold the bugger to pay for a night in a hotel,,,Long long story......... :)[/quote]

... sounds like a catchy interesting beginning, I'd say :rolleyes:

I'm surprised to read that you were all satisfied by their loudness... I've often had problems about tone definition in the mix with TE and SWR, due to their scooped sound

[quote name='EmaTheMirror' post='704497' date='Jan 7 2010, 05:44 PM']... sounds like a catchy interesting beginning, I'd say :)

I'm surprised to read that you were all satisfied by their loudness... I've often had problems about tone definition in the mix with TE and SWR, due to their scooped sound[/quote]

The power is in the mids lol,,
Gigged both these for years,, now have huge Peavey rig,,, but only because someone wound the knobs off the SWR in a jamming session an blew a driver,,, and even after twice replacing the speakers it never sounded the same..
The Trace sounded awesome,,,, but have played thru one recently at a great gig at Scarborough which was a 1 x15 with backline supplied and TBH it sounded a bit clicky with my current bass (Ibanez srx705),, but that was my eq if honest...
Cant comment on the new ones..

Would have my ol Trace back in an instant,,,,, provided the drivers were original......an re the Hotel,,,mmm,, better not lol :rolleyes:
That a Golden Strad DB on your myspace EMA??

[quote name='EmaTheMirror' post='704473' date='Jan 7 2010, 05:30 PM']I've tried some solid-state TE over the years and I don't like them so much. IMHO they all tend to have a "gummy" trademark sound, no matter what you plug in them, very scooped, and sometimes I had problems hearing myself... I also think these solid state models don't have a great wattage/loudness ratio (I mean what's written on the amp compared to how much you effectively hear), plus I'm not a big fan of those "clicky" volume knobs :)

I'm much more happier with the somehow related Ashdowns (different concept and sound, BTW); they have a trademark sound either which I like[/quote]
Yeah, the signature TE sound (and what you get when you use the pre-shape button) has a big mid scoop (smiley face EQ curve)- this can make them sound quieter in the mix.
Can't stand TE amps myself, never gotten on with the sound when I've used one:)

ive got an ah300 smx head and i would describe the sound as clean and powerful i dont think i ever gigged with it turned above 3 on the volume and normally set on about 2.
i always wanted a slightly distorted bass sound but could never achieve it without it sounding crap so opted for compressed clean
and i still have the head think i bought mine new from electro too when they were fazing them out for the later model

I used to use TE'S in various rehearsal rooms over the years.
At the time ,I thought they looked and sounded great. Last experience ? :
I had a 350 watt gp7sm combo, for a few months. Trouble started when I got my Tele Bass.
The guitarist we had at the time ,hated the sound. Mr. Drums said it sounded' wooley'.

Anyway, we did our first gig as a unit. The singer's sister recorded a rough copy.
And despite all my running around etc. the bass was very hard to pickup.

My Eden Nemesis combo (which is still available for sale/trade) wipes the floor with it.
You don't need to mention my Aguilar.... :)

I did initially miss the Trace when sold,but the Aguilar fits in with the furniture in my flat :rolleyes:

I thought they raised the bar somewhat when they first appeared but then I found I hated the GP7 and to lesser extent the GP11.

Only when they were able to put a valve in the pre, did it soften that EQ...
The only one I ever bought..although I used a few... was an all valve Twin...now that was getting there, IMV.

And then they were completely taken apart by SWR and that brigade...

As far as TE's went, all I could hear what that MK/Status hi clickly-clack sound which drove me up the wall.

To this day, whenever..thankfully not very often...I see a Status and TE rig, well, it doesn't augur well... IMHO

Generally I'm not a big fan of TE stuff. Bit sterile/mid heavy for me - have recently used some of the newer (made by Peavey)
range and an earlier combo and wasn't wild about either.

However!.......used to own an early AH500 watt head (2x250w with the GP11 preamp section) which was a superb amp. Built like a tank,loud and a bit warmer sounding than other TE's I've tried. My amp tech said at the time "well built British amp - I can keep it going for as long as you want".
Wish I'd listened to him and hung on to it now.

[quote name='JTUK' post='704684' date='Jan 7 2010, 07:59 PM']To this day, whenever..thankfully not very often...I see a Status and TE rig, well, it doesn't augur well... IMHO[/quote]

Just as well you never saw me gigging!!

Got rid of the TE a few years ago due to its size and mass, and we were moving house... etc.

I liked the sound, and I think it suited the Status. It's not for everyone though (as the responses in this thread show!).

I always find it difficult to describe sound in words, but I thought it was clean, clear, powerful, rich and "hi-fi" (whatever that means!). Plenty of top and bottom, but a bit lacking in the mid-range without applying "wacky" graphic settings (mine was the GP11). But maybe this was more down to the Status than the amp as I never tried any other rig with the Status. Volume was never a problem as I was running it through the typical 1048 and 1518 combination, giving out the full 250 watts (it was the AH250 head).

It was the only amp set-up I used for 20 years, so I now find it quite hard to make a decision about what I want next!!

I never liked the TE sound very much, although I knew a player who sounded great with his TE but I got nothing good when I borrowed the rig for a gig, so I guess it's just me then! I've tried the new ones in rehearsal studios and they just don't impress at all!

I am going to stick my neck out and say that I don't think there is a 'Trace sound'..... as such.
Unless we are talking about the 'pre-shape' button, which in my experience with my bass, would sound great solo but get me lost in the band mix.

The strength of old Trace gear (for me) was it's ability to get any sound that I needed.
From warm to clanky.... It's all there by the bucketload.

The 11 and 12 band EQ sections are extremely powerful, and if set-up well can offer a huge range of sounds.
However, if set-up badly can be made to sound crap.

I struggled for nearly a year to get 'my sound' back after selling my SMX.

[quote name='Conan' post='705111' date='Jan 8 2010, 03:39 AM']Just as well you never saw me gigging!!

Got rid of the TE a few years ago due to its size and mass, and we were moving house... etc.

I liked the sound, and I think it suited the Status. It's not for everyone though (as the responses in this thread show!).

I always find it difficult to describe sound in words, but I thought it was clean, clear, powerful, rich and "hi-fi" (whatever that means!). Plenty of top and bottom, but a bit lacking in the mid-range without applying "wacky" graphic settings (mine was the GP11). But maybe this was more down to the Status than the amp as I never tried any other rig with the Status. Volume was never a problem as I was running it through the typical 1048 and 1518 combination, giving out the full 250 watts (it was the AH250 head).

It was the only amp set-up I used for 20 years, so I now find it quite hard to make a decision about what I want next!![/quote]

Hey Conan - you and me both. I have only had an AH100 and a 4x10+1x15 since 1989. I play mainly a Status too. The AH100 has been modded twice and repaired once. I know I need something smaller, louder, warmer and more 'modern' but I am having a hard time finding anything I like more than my trusty old TE. I am wary of the reliability of newer gear too. What's on your GAS list ?

[quote name='Mr.T' post='705223' date='Jan 8 2010, 10:22 AM']I am going to stick my neck out and say that I don't think there is a 'Trace sound'..... as such.
Unless we are talking about the 'pre-shape' button, which in my experience with my bass, would sound great solo but get me lost in the band mix.

The strength of old Trace gear (for me) was it's ability to get any sound that I needed.
From warm to clanky.... It's all there by the bucketload.

The 11 and 12 band EQ sections are extremely powerful, and if set-up well can offer a huge range of sounds.
However, if set-up badly can be made to sound crap.

I struggled for nearly a year to get 'my sound' back after selling my SMX.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I had a AH600SMX for about 10 years. Set flat, the amp sounded...well...flat - a pefectly usable sound that didn't make me think "ah, this is THE Trace sound". A bit of tweaking with the 12-band eq and there was quite a palette of sounds available. Pre-set 1 (on the SMX range) was the mid-scoop sound - as said above; great on it's own, but gets lost in a band context. Have a GK amp now - turning the contour control fully up brings a very similar sound to the TE pre-set 1.

Edited by JJTee

I've got one of the old GP7 SM300 combos, with a 15 inch speaker. I used it for 8 years without any amp problems at all. Though when other bassists used it they would often say the following things.

1.'Your amp is broke' = The mute switch is engaged
2. 'There isn't much headroom, its clipping all over the place'= I've got both the gain and master volume set at nine, set the amp for passive and play a Stingray
3. 'The graphic EQ doesn't change anything'= It rarely does when ALL of the EQ switches are set for a 12db boost.
4. 'Its sounds sterile and quiet'=I crank the treble and the cut all frequencies below 500Hz, but still expect the sound of an Ampeg 8x10 paired with a vintage SVT amp to be achievable through a ten year old solid state combo with one speaker.

Some people just think that the only sound you can get out of a trace amp is the mid scoop pre-set, which once engaged really does colour your sound. I quite like it but I do think it can destroy the personality of certain basses, as it just never agreed with my Vigier Excess, though it sounded great with my Precision.

However I still think you can get a good tone out of most basses using the Graphic EQ without the pre-sets. I've tried lots of other Trace amps and feel they are unfairly cast as only being able to 'do' one sound. Clueless bassists that don't how to work a graphic eq can get some horrible sounds though.

However, I do think that in the last 15 years hybrid tube-solid state amps have kind of taken up the market where the solid state Trace Elliot stuff used to be.

[quote name='thodrik' post='709015' date='Jan 11 2010, 04:24 PM']I've got one of the old GP7 SM300 combos, with a 15 inch speaker. I used it for 8 years without any amp problems at all. Though when other bassists used it they would often say the following things.

1.'Your amp is broke' = The mute switch is engaged[/quote]

That happens to me all the time when people borrow my GP7SM 130 :)