Why become a member? ×

London region bash 2010

essexbasscat

There's two jobs (at the moment) up for the taking. They are;

[b]Security[/b]

Two or three sharp - eyed and security concious people just to make sure that everyone's gear is totally safe while their attention is distracted.

We can all suggest ideas for this topic (probably a good thing) i.e. some means of identifying people at the bash so that potential cruising thieves can be readily and easily identified.
This type may turn up with an empty case and hope to fill it, then walk out looking perfectly natural.

Please, please give up some ideas about security for the day

[b]Food[/b]

The nearest shops are at least a ten (or more) minute walk away, which is a long time to be away from your own gear while it's on display. Additionally, there are some folks that will not cope well with a quick 'vending machine' diet for the day. Me included.

There is a fridge/cold storage facility on site for our use for the day. I will bring a boiler for tea and coffee.

I've supplied spuds for jacket potatoes for the day and will be bringing some coleslaw and tuna/mayonnaise mix for fillers

It would be great if someone would man the food stall for the day.

These are the two major roles that come to mind. If anyone can think of anything else, please speak up !!!

[b]
Well, it's 2010 and time for basschat's first planned London bash of the year.

At the School in Friern Barnet on 27th June

Holly Park Primary School
Address Bellevue Road
Friern Barnet
London
N11 3HG

[/b]

Time: 10.00 - 17.00

[b]Schedule[/b]

11.30 - 12.15 Simon, compressors and limiters

12.45 - 13.45 Bernie Goodfellow, Bass guitar set - ups, truss rods and Q+A

14.00 - 14.45 Legal issues with the music business i.e. contracts etc

16.00 - 17.30 Football, England vs. Germany for the ardent fans on the day. Other things can be scheduled for this time, if there is demand.

[b]BERNIE GOODFELLOW HAS OFFERED TO SET UP SOME BASSES ON THE DAY IF YOU BRING THEM ALONG[/b]

Here's a list that people can add their name to, in the interest of at least having a numbers count and quick reference point.

01. Essexbasscat

02. Lonestar. Fender 4string Jazz Pervy TL5 Markbass2x10 (not very exciting but they're all I have!)

03. molan - Celinder J4 Update, Zon VB4, Spector NS5XL, Epifani Ul510, Bergantio AE1x12's, who knows what else. . .

04. Jerry_B - Peavey T - 40

05. michael-faces - Probably just a Warrior Soldier bass

06. JackLondon - Simnett MK6 (Should have this month), Ibanez BTB556MP, Ibanez SR305 Fretless, GK 1001RBII, Barefaced Compact, Boss GT 10-B, £X, 40 cigarettes,

07. Stingray5 - Selected basses in my sig pic (Music Man, Tune, Fender, Westone); Trace Elliot GP12 SMX rig (depending on venue); Boss GT-6B; donuts...

08. Paul S - Fender Jaguar, Trace Elliot rig.

09. Waynepunkdude: Fender Jazz, SX P-Bass, 75 JAzz RI Clone, Ampeg SVT5 Pro, Ashdown ABM 4X10, Mag 1X15.

10. MacDaddy. Custom Shuker, Custom Iceni Zoot &/or Hamer Blaze (depending on transport).

11. Thunderbird 13 - Cort CQ4 Zoom B2.1u maybe an Epiphone Thunderbird if anyone is interested

12. JayGarrett (depending on date) - TC Electronic RH450, RS210, and RC4 and one of these if needed as I'll be travelling by tube: Yamaha Attitude Limited, Schecter Diamond Custom 5 or Italia Modulo or even the Mex Jazz fretless.

13. Bloodaxe - Aria SB-1000 Fretless, SB-900, Ashdown Superfly, Epifani UL-110

14. ped - Vigier fretless and fretted passion basses, beer tokens and navel fluff

15. mazathemonster - 4 string westfiled P bass

16. silddx - Prolly Pat Wilkins Active Jazz, Warwick Corvette STD Ash Fretless IV, Steinberger Spirit Double Neck Bass/Guitar.

17. netballman

18. Bankai - Shine Extreme Series 845

19. hengushrh

20.Beastie gb 4 string spitfire ebs session 60 + ebs fx pedals

I've just put down this many for now to get things going. It's by no means any kind of statement about intended numbers.

I havn't added the names of anyone that has stated an intention to come. I avoided this as I didn't want to act on anyone's behalf without their permission. Please feel free to add your own name. You're also welcome to leave a description of any gear you may be bringing along for the day.

All practical ideas and suggestions welcome !!!

Look forward to seeing you all on the day :)
T

:rolleyes:

Edited by essexbasscat

It seems as though some of the regional Bashes are becoming annual events, but a London one would certainly be a good idea I would have thought, given it's the Capital city etc, etc..

And it's definitely time we had another National Basschat one - the last one was in March 2008!

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='698842' date='Jan 2 2010, 05:01 PM']How are these things generally done ?

I would be glad to help to make it happen, when it's possible for me to do so

T

:)[/quote]
Hi,

Generally, it's organised by a bunch of like-minded Basschatters who have nothing better to do with their time than hang around with other Basschatters and make loads of noise whilst drooling at loads and loads of great gear!! :rolleyes:

You should have a look at this thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=56195&hl=south+east+bass"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...south+east+bass[/url]

or equally, any of the threads for the SW Bash, the Yorkshire Bash etc, etc..

Hope that helps!

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='698827' date='Jan 2 2010, 04:48 PM']It seems as though some of the regional Bashes are becoming annual events, but a London one would certainly be a good idea I would have thought, given it's the Capital city etc, etc..

And it's definitely time we had another National Basschat one - the last one was in March 2008![/quote]

Hi silverfoxnik

noted the previous thread of the surry bash and that you had a 'quiet room', presentations etc and donations to charity etc

having seen that thread, it seems there's a whole lot more to making a successful meet than just setting up a meeting space

can you help with any ideas that would make a successful meeting that most people will enjoy ? any things that you did last time that you wouldn't do again ? things that you didn't do, but wish you had ?

would really appreciate any ideas from BC'ers out there with any experience on this

waynepunkdude - hiya. then there were two.

look forward to hearing from you all.

T :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='699811' date='Jan 3 2010, 06:44 PM']Count me in, I move to London in about 10 days.

I'm happy to help.[/quote]

Thank god someone else has picked this up besides silverfoxnik, Wayne and me. I was beginning to think that it was too soon after the last one - or is that really the case ?

Genuinely puzzled as to why everyone's not jumping all over it really :)

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='699818' date='Jan 3 2010, 06:49 PM']Thank god someone else has picked this up besides Wayne and me. I was beginning to think that it was too soon after the last one - or is that really the case ?

Genuinely puzzled as to why everyone's not jumping all over it really :)[/quote]
I think it's the fact that Christmas and New Year have just happened..we're all a little bit lethargic and cold! Give it a while and more people will get interested.. Setting a date for it and a venue might help focus everyone's attention too?

I'm happy to offer any advice I can by the way - please send me a PM and we'll go from there..

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='699818' date='Jan 3 2010, 06:49 PM']Thank god someone else has picked this up besides Wayne and me. I was beginning to think that it was too soon after the last one - or is that really the case ?

Genuinely puzzled as to why everyone's not jumping all over it really :)[/quote]

Count me in.

The main factors (based on the various bashes I've been to)...

Parking - not "find a space in the nearest side road" - Supermarkets?
Proximity to Public Transport (not all of us drive).
Capacity - at least 30 bodies plus gear.
Noise "pollution" - Shouldn't be too much of a problem if it were a Saturday afternoon, but the neighbours can get dreadfully uppity.

I'll enquire if the Coach & Horses in Leyton would be up for it when I'm up there on Weds for the Jam Night - parking is my only worry, unless the Orient have anything. Pretty sure Gerry (the Guv'nor) would be OK with it.

I'll nose about locally (SE6, 13, 23 etc), but it might work better in the 'burbs.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='699840' date='Jan 3 2010, 07:04 PM']Count me in.

The main factors (based on the various bashes I've been to)...

Parking - not "find a space in the nearest side road" - Supermarkets?
Proximity to Public Transport (not all of us drive).
Capacity - at least 30 bodies plus gear.
Noise "pollution" - Shouldn't be too much of a problem if it were a Saturday afternoon, but the neighbours can get dreadfully uppity.

I'll enquire if the Coach & Horses in Leyton would be up for it when I'm up there on Weds for the Jam Night - parking is my only worry, unless the Orient have anything. Pretty sure Gerry (the Guv'nor) would be OK with it.

I'll nose about locally (SE6, 13, 23 etc), but it might work better in the 'burbs.

Pete.[/quote]

CHEERS PETE, WELCOME ON BOARD

just thinking further on this. There is an issue around holding a bash local to London. The congestion charge zone.

two factors spring to mind straight away.

1. Car friendly would be helpful for sure for those intending to bring equipement. Locations outside the congestion zone would help reduce cost associated with car use, which could encourage attendence.

2. As already mentioned, it would be desirable to be local to public transport, which does hint at the burbs.

Leyton does fit the bill for both 1 + 2. A good start.

It's early days though and other folk may have different preferences. I'm easy personally and would be happy to travel

Sure there a lot more things to cover yet

A big THANK YOU to everyone for the interest

T

:)

There is a car park near my place that's really cheap on weekends....and secure.

Tube is right nearby...but there are obviously lots of other options. It's SE but nice n quiet.

I might be able to help out with storing etc if there are issues with security if people stay overnight....I wouldn't sit and play it, honest!

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='699882' date='Jan 3 2010, 07:47 PM']CHEERS PETE, WELCOME ON BOARD

just thinking further on this. There is an issue around holding a bash local to London. The congestion charge zone.

two factors spring to mind straight away.

1. Car friendly would be helpful for sure for those intending to bring equipement. Locations outside the congestion zone would help reduce cost associated with car use, which could encourage attendence.

2. As already mentioned, it would be desirable to be local to public transport, which does hint at the burbs.

Leyton does fit the bill for both 1 + 2. A good start.

It's early days though and other folk may have different preferences. I'm easy personally and would be happy to travel

Sure there a lot more things to cover yet

A big THANK YOU to everyone for the interest

T

:)[/quote]
No congestion charge at weekends!

There are two footy clubs I know of that have regular band nights so should be Ok as far as noise is concerned. Both have parking as well.

Barnet & Sutton are both promoted by Pete Feenstra for live music - [url="http://www.feenstra.co.uk/"]http://www.feenstra.co.uk/[/url]

Pete is a lovely guy and a huge supporter of live music so I reckon he'd help if required :)

Quick update...

I've got three "spaces" on my local hit list (2 rehearsal studios in SE8 & an arty place in SE23) + the Coach & Horses in E11.

I'll have a nose around over the course of the next week & report back - if anyone else can do similarly in their area that'd be fantabulous.
Whilst all this is (hopefully) going on, can I ask the OP (essexbasscat) to edit post #1 to include a list of likely attendees & gear - that way the info is always right at the top of the thread.

I'm looking at spaces that have good local parking, can realistically take 20-30 of us including moderate amounts of gear & keeping the cost per head down to a tenner or less, any surplus going to a local charity - sound about right peeps?

I'd be bringing:

Aria SB-1000 Fretless, Aria SB-900*, Ashdown Superfly, Epifani UL110 & Flite 15*

* = might not bring, depending where we end up.

Pete

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='molan' post='700418' date='Jan 4 2010, 01:26 PM']There are two footy clubs I know of that have regular band nights so should be Ok as far as noise is concerned. Both have parking as well.

Barnet & Sutton are both promoted by Pete Feenstra for live music - [url="http://www.feenstra.co.uk/"]http://www.feenstra.co.uk/[/url]

Pete is a lovely guy and a huge supporter of live music so I reckon he'd help if required :)[/quote]

+1 on Pete - plus - and this isn't meant to sound bad but he is a businessman, if he can earn a little out of it he would put on a great event, good band and PA and he has two other good South East venues, Chislehurst - just off A20/M25 and Wingspan Club at Gatwick - off A23 and great rail service. I'd happily sound him out if and when needed.

Mike

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='700936' date='Jan 4 2010, 08:40 PM']+1 on Pete - plus - and this isn't meant to sound bad but he is a businessman, if he can earn a little out of it he would put on a great event, good band and PA and he has two other good South East venues, Chislehurst - just off A20/M25 and Wingspan Club at Gatwick - off A23 and great rail service. I'd happily sound him out if and when needed.

Mike[/quote]

I was initially thinking more of just getting contact details from some of his venues rather than asking him to help organise.

However, if there are to be live bands then he'd be a great contact.