Why become a member? ×

The Temptations and the Funk Brothers live rehearsal in the Snakepit 1967

EssentialTension

[quote name='chris_b' post='688002' date='Dec 18 2009, 08:31 AM']Surely that must have been a publicity shoot? Would they really have used Studio A and the Funk Brothers for a rehearsal? Interesting clip though.[/quote]
The youtube poster says:

[quote]Given the fact that Motown had not been conducting Live sessions with the vocalists and instrumentalists recording at the same time since at least 1963, [b]this session was clearly staged for the CBS News cameras that were doing a brief piece called The Motown Sound[/b]. Pictured in the studio are songwriters Lamont Dozier (Standing on the steps at the back of the studio), Brian Holland (The guy who cuts in on the band), Ivy Jo Hunter (Does the countdown), Russ Terrana (The engineer standing up), James Jamerson on Bass, Earl Van Dyke on piano, Bobbye Hall on congas, and from left to right on guitars Robert White, Joe Messina and Eddie Willis. The arranger, wearing headphones and conducting the band, is William Witherspoon. To the best of my knowledge this incredibly rare piece of film is the only one of two pieces of footage ever shot at a session inside the studio known as the Snakepit.[/quote]
So, yes, not what would normally have happened - still interesting though (for some of us).

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='687781' date='Dec 17 2009, 09:41 PM']... and nothing at all if it's of no interest to you.

I'm confident some people will be interested to see it.[/quote]

I didn't mean any offence with my comment. It was just that there was 5 seconds of blurry picture of him playing bass. You can't exactly hear the bass on the video so i didn't quite get what the fuss was :)

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='688077' date='Dec 18 2009, 09:58 AM']I didn't mean any offence with my comment. It was just that there was 5 seconds of blurry picture of him playing bass. You can't exactly hear the bass on the video so i didn't quite get what the fuss was :rolleyes:[/quote]
No offence taken. :)

I didn't mean any fuss but footage of Jamerson is rare to say the least and I'd not seen this clip before. I wasn't only interested to see Jamerson but the whole set up even if it was set up (no pun intended) for the CBS cameras. My favourite bits were actually Joe Hunter counting them all in and Eddie Willis playing a Gibson Firebird. Also, stupidly, I hadn't realised before that Bobbye Hall was a woman.

Edited by EssentialTension

Yeah great to see a rare little glimpse of the great man in action. My mum is a massive fan of Bix Biederbecke, and the [i]only[/i] footage of him is one fleeting clip from a film made in the 20's of a big band he was in. That one clip is precious to mum, and she plays the DVD of it regularly, even though it's only a few seconds.

Point is, modern heros are very much more accessable that the old ones, so rare old clips like this one are very important to us older folks.

[quote name='Rayman' post='688300' date='Dec 18 2009, 12:53 PM']Yeah great to see a rare little glimpse of the great man in action. My mum is a massive fan of Bix Biederbecke, and the [i]only[/i] footage of him is one fleeting clip from a film made in the 20's of a big band he was in. That one clip is precious to mum, and she plays the DVD of it regularly, even though it's only a few seconds.

Point is, modern heros are very much more accessable that the old ones, so rare old clips like this one are very important to us older folks.[/quote]
Hey, steady on, who are you calling 'older'? :)