Why become a member? ×

How do you treat your bass?

munkonthehill

G'day Munk,...
I'm not convinced that I know the correct terminology of "arsey",....and I certainly wouldn't want another fight with a Scotsman,...the accent is really pathetic when ya's start cryin :rolleyes:
But I'm with ya on this one.
I like to keep the instruments that I own in top condition, and have never been able to understand, how individuals that own "top of the line" instruments, can knock the f***ers around :)
Not everybody obviously,... but a lot do. !
A well made quality musical instrument should outlive its owner. !
Mojo my arse,....careless f***wits more like it.
But Munk,... if you are pedantic about keeping your gear in good nick, and,... I applaud you for that, then let me give you this tip....there are some[i] great[/i] brushes to be found in your wife/girlfriends/ poofy uncles make up bag.
I got sprung raiding my daughters makeup bag, (cost me $20, she's a shrewd little twat) but its the best twenty Ive spent for awhile.
I got what is called a "Blusher Brush",??..(cost me $20).. but this is the softest bit of gear there is, I don't know if its natural or man made fibre, but its so soft its hard to describe without sounding "rude".
I have a little cleaning kit (best description I can come up with) and the most rudimentary bit of equipment in there is a toothpick...make of that what ya will.
Keep on keeping your gear in good nick Monk, and check the wifes/girlfriends/ poofy uncles makeup bag....
don't get caught,...it could either,... cost you, or raise suspicions... :lol:

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='683680' date='Dec 14 2009, 08:49 AM']I am intrigued, do you manage a creche or work in a kennels?[/quote]
Haha, no, I work with a boy with severe learning disabilities. I go to his house 5 days a week and do stuff with him. For example, I am encouraged to bring musical instruments and play music, letting him join in. His idea of playing a guitar is putting the headstock in his mouth and plucking every string in order over and over again. This results in bite marks on the headstock...his guitars, and the banjo I gave him are so worn down and chewed up at the head it's unblievable. I've tried to tell him and show him how to actually do it but to no avail.

We also go for walks, do jigsaw puzzles (I say DO jigsaw puzzles...as a loose term) dance around the playroom, or pretty much do whatever he wants (he points at a picture of something he wants to play with)

But I've actually just got hold of an encore P bass which I will be taking in future.

[quote name='cd_david' post='683765' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:41 AM']I know this is all personal taste but i hate to play a dirty bass, first of all for the feel, clammy under your hands eeeuuuuwww :) , and second of all the maintenance issue, fingerboards drying out, hardware rusting and seizing up etc. issues with the finish, clean off your acidic sweat and it will last longer.[/quote]
Yeah I might start doing clean ups, that gunk is not pretty nor does it feel good. Although as a general rule, I clean the fretboard when I change strings.

Edited by Duarte

I like to think that I look after my instruments. Plus I like them to look good.

I don't go on stage wearing scruffy old jeans and a grubby T-shirt, I care about my appearance and that extends to the instruments I use.

Dings and bumps are unavoidable if you're gigging no matter how careful you are, but if you're careful it will many many years until the bass needs a refin (unless its a Fender).

I've bought one bass that was in a battered condition and it went straight off for a complete overhaul and refinish before I used it live.

My oldest Overwater (over 25 years old) is now getting to the point where it's looking a little more 'used' than I would like and in the next year or so that too will get brought back to 'new' condition.

Yeah- I try to keep my bass in good nick- not too anal but clean it regularly- Once a month?

It is in perfect nick- I bought it new 2 years ago and used a Marcus Miller for most of that time but a Warwick Thumb NT should be used really so I have gigged it every week for 6 months. On Saturday I caught my foot on its lead after I had put it on the stand and what happened- over it came- crash!!. Luckily the stage was carpeted and the stand caught most of the impact- result no damage- not even a nick or a scratch- amazing.

I am now looking for a jazz bass for our more "rougher" gigs.

Bob

its tough keeping a working bass in good order.its a hard pill to swallow but its virtually unavoidable.my streamer is so badly beat up after only a year of gigging that if the good people over at warwick seen it they'd probably ban me from using they're products. a lot of the bassists i know are going back to fenders just because they are so damn tough and can take serious abuse.

[quote name='Mog' post='683998' date='Dec 14 2009, 02:03 PM']its tough keeping a working bass in good order.its a hard pill to swallow but its virtually unavoidable.my streamer is so badly beat up after only a year of gigging that if the good people over at warwick seen it they'd probably ban me from using they're products. a lot of the bassists i know are going back to fenders just because they are so damn tough and can take serious abuse.[/quote]

why? Surley the more of 'em you buy the better as far as they're concerned, whether that's by wearing them down after a year or otherwise.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='684030' date='Dec 14 2009, 02:30 PM']why? Surley the more of 'em you buy the better as far as they're concerned, whether that's by wearing them down after a year or otherwise.[/quote]
You do have a point there lad! :) Dont think I'd use a new warwick on the road though (if I had the cash to get one that is). Chalk it down to experience I suppose?Its not like it got banged up all at once. Live and learn eh.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='683983' date='Dec 14 2009, 01:53 PM']I don't go on stage wearing scruffy old jeans and a grubby T-shirt, I care about my appearance and that extends to the instruments I use.[/quote]

I do go on stage wearing scruffy old jeans and a grubby T-shirt and I've been known to gaffer tape the scrap on my instruments. My P-Bass has no gaffer on though.

my main basses i worship, one of them my mother (who died) got me (my SRX700) when i was 18, and the other she requested to be got for me as soon as she died (Std USA Jazz Bass).

Id protect them with my life, and that is no lie!

However, my old bass cabs get thrown about and scuffed. Gives them character!

[quote name='Duarte' post='683952' date='Dec 14 2009, 01:33 PM']Haha, no, I work with a boy with severe learning disabilities. I go to his house 5 days a week and do stuff with him. For example, I am encouraged to bring musical instruments and play music, letting him join in. His idea of playing a guitar is putting the headstock in his mouth and plucking every string in order over and over again. This results in bite marks on the headstock...his guitars, and the banjo I gave him are so worn down and chewed up at the head it's unblievable. I've tried to tell him and show him how to actually do it but to no avail.

We also go for walks, do jigsaw puzzles (I say DO jigsaw puzzles...as a loose term) dance around the playroom, or pretty much do whatever he wants (he points at a picture of something he wants to play with)

But I've actually just got hold of an encore P bass which I will be taking in future.[/quote]

That sounds like a great and rewarding job. Good Work :) :rolleyes:

I try to keep my gear in good condition. My electrickery stuff, amps, cabs, fx, etc I do keep really well. And I am PROPPER anal about winding cables up propperly lol. My Stingray never leaves my sight when giging, and is one of my few basses that gets kept on a stand rather than leaning on somthing. My Crafter acoustic 6-string is the only guitar I've ever kept in MINT condition though, as it's never gigged or even taken out of the house! As for my P-bass... I've been known to throw it on the floor in a temper...

I look after my stuff, but the odd scrape is inevitable and i dont care too much.
I have a '91 warwick streamer and a '83 JV squier, both are in pretty good condition. The JV looks like its been in its case for 20 years. The warwick looks like it has been played for 15 years (but looked after) it gets waxed every so often.
you look after your stuff, but at the same time if you use things they will get worn looking. A good workman looks after his tools but if you looked at my chisels you would tell they have been used!

One of my old basses toured up and down scotland in the luggage bit of the megabus, in a gig bag.... a bit daft but it was a P bass so survived fine!

I try to look after my equipment as best I can. My bass probably bears the most battle scars though I'm not sure how as most of my gigs these days are weddings and corporate.... though saying that over 130 gigs this year plus recording and rehearsals. Ironically my cabs (2 x Aguilar DB112) are in as new condition and I thought they would be showing signs of wear. I'm glad I spent the extra and purchased the heavy duty Aguilar covers.

As with most bands I guess the component that gets the most wear and tear are cables.... having spent near to £1100 cables earlier this year it does make the difference. Next year we are going with a new desk so that means another custom made flightcase though as the new IEMs will run from CAT5 into pods (Roland) at least we will save some cash on audio cables there.

My fender custom is immaculate and I do everything humanely possible to keep it like that. However, I love the 'relic' look and I wish it was like that really. I have a battered old strat and I love the way that I can throw it around, leave it out, have the kids knock it over etc. I'd much rather no be precious about stuff.

i clean mine regularly body and neck with a cloth

when i do a string change i give the frets and board a clean and use some linseed oil ..rosewood
clean up the area around the pups

polish the body/headstock but not the neck

i use a little paintbrush to take out the dust around the pups

it doesnt get all that dirty though..after a playing session i wipe down the strings and neck

I try an keep my gear in the best condition as i possably can, as it took a lot of staying in and saving up etc, to aquire over the years so i try to look after it an think thats the diffrence between it getting [i]used[/i] and not [i]abused[/i]
Had my stingray an genz-benz from new an thay got a few scars here an there but saying that so have i and i was aparently new myself at one point :)
There there to be played and enjoyed at the end of the day so what ever floats your boat.
My personal oppinion on "road worn" stuff is ..... well my oppinion, not my cup of tea but for thoes who like them then there great (even the originals that there based on were new at one time (repeating myself here) an there not dents/scratchs that ive put on it so there of no concern of mine, so delibertaly defacing a guitar seems a bit ....... naw.... to me, im just happy growing old together with my guitars,
Inbetween all that lot, a clean when you have finished playing never hurts :rolleyes:

Edited by danny-79

The worst is when you play at theatres. I played at the de la warr pavilion in bexhill and left my bass leaning on my (45 degree angled) amp, just as you do. Then go there about 20mins later, thinking all would be fine (as my bass was in pristine condition), pick it up, and the guitarist says 'whao, whats that huge dent in you bass' and i think he's kidding me on, and the rest of the band look at my bass with a kind of 'uh oh' look. I look down to find it looks like someone's dropped a chisel on my bass as hard as they can to leave a nice wood-gash on it. bargh!

Anyway, I just try and keep my bass as in good a condition as possbile. I know that for the first few gigs i did I'd be there before the gig with it and find a new 'dink' on it and get pre-gig annoyance at whatever inconsiderate twat did that.

i'm absolutely terrible... i can (or used to when i had the energy!) get quite into my playing on stage and always end up getting buckle scratches all down the back, dings where i bump into things... ugh.

i take good care of my rickenbacker but she never really sees any gigs.

so i tend to avoid basses that should be kept mint. i specifically bought my stingray with a deffective finish so that i wouldn't feel bad about beating it up and it was the best decision i ever made - the only thing i worry about when playing that bass is the music.

of course playability is a different matter - if it's an important gig i'll still spend the time getting the action and intonation set up perfectly, polishing the frets and maybe oiling the fretboard, that kind of thing.

Personally I don't mind a little damage done to my bass... BUT that is on one condition....

THAT I DO THE DAMAGE MYSELF!

It truely grinds my gears, that I know for a fact, that most of the damage done to my Shecter has been done by a band member. :)
Whether it be my brother running around stabbing me with his SG, or my trombone player hitting me with his trombone or somebody knocking the bass over, it truly is the bain of my existence haha. Otherwise, Belt Rot, sweat erosion, pick scratches, all sacrifices for your art imo.

Also, how can you justify selling a Fender P Bass for nearly double the price because it's 'vintage' and 'gig worn' and you can see the wood where the paint has gone. That to me is ludicrous. If I spend £2500 on something, I wanna damage it myself! (I seen this bass outside of basschat)

Chris

Edited by Basska