Why become a member? ×

Looking to get a hollowbody bass... but where to begin?

derrenleepoole

I've only ever owned one hollow bodied bass before which was a violin bass copy... so long ago now that I forget the make and even when :) Anyway, I've been digging the vibe of them recently and was wondering if you lovely peeps could offer some valuable insight into the pros and cons of hollow instruments as opposed to solid body.

I'm particularly taken by the Ibanez ABG140 as seen in the following video... absolutely loving the tone in this, the fact that it's single pickup (just like singles) and love the look:

A quick check on Ibanez's website and it would appear that these are no longer made. I suppose my question's are:

1. What basses like the Ibanez above come close to that tone and vibe if I can't find one?
2. How upgradable or easy to modify are basses like this comparable to solid bodied instruments (if needed)?
3. Which models offer good balance and don't suffer from neck dive?
4. Is feedback likely to be an issue with hollow bodied basses?
5. Does anyone recommend certain amplification for instruments of this nature?
6. If anyone has an Ibanez ABG140 for sale, let me know :rolleyes:

Cheers guys and gals... Derren

[color="#4169E1"]1. What basses like the Ibanez above come close to that tone and vibe if I can't find one?[/color]

I'm actually selling a couple of Yamaha BEX-4 basses [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=66599"]here[/url] that are similar in terms of style. Single magnetic pickup, piezo in the bridge & 3 band active EQ - really broad range to choose from. When I was looking for a semi-acoustic I couldn't find much else apart from the Yamaha & Ibanez that felt decent without spending a lot of cash, although you might want to try the Epiphone Jack Cassidy bass.

[color="#4169E1"]2. How upgradable or easy to modify are basses like this comparable to solid bodied instruments (if needed)?[/color]

It depends what you want to upgrade really. Without a scratchplate there's no way to hide woodwork & many have electronics mounted Gibson-style through the pickup hole, so it isn't easy to pop in a preamp for example without some woodwork.

[color="#4169E1"]3. Which models offer good balance and don't suffer from neck dive?[/color]

The Ibanez AGB140 & Yamaha BEX are OK with a decent strap, but can't really comment on anything else.

[color="#4169E1"]4. Is feedback likely to be an issue with hollow bodied basses?[/color]

My Yamahas both have central blocks so aren't true hollow body basses, but that means that feedback isn't an issue - think the AGB140 does too. You may find that full-bodied hollow basses might not be so forgiving played loud - had a hollow jazz guitar that fed back whenever I took my fingers off the strings...

[color="#4169E1"]5. Does anyone recommend certain amplification for instruments of this nature?[/color]

With a magnetic pickup then it shouldn't be too different to a solid-bodied bass in terms of amps.

[color="#4169E1"]6. If anyone has an Ibanez ABG140 for sale, let me know :)[/color]

Had an automatic search on eBay a while ago & they crop up from time to time - might be worth a shot if nobody has one on here...

Cheers,

B.

All the above but add the Epiphone Jack Casady which seems to tick all your boxes, or the Allen Woody Rumblekat if you like short scales and double pickups near the neck. The DeArmond Starfire (or the Guild version if you want to spend collector type money), which is doubly good as you can drop a pair of Darkstar pickups straight in, or along similar lines you can find near new Eastern built Epiphone Rivolis (or the US Epis or Gibson EB-2 if you've got the cash).

Try this site for some inspiration; [url="http://www.hollowbodybass.com/"]hollowbody bass[/url]

You can also get new-old stock Vox hollowbodies from places like the Bass Cellar in Denmark St. (maybe elsewhere) which play really nicely and look rather good too.

Don't go for the first bass that comes along - there are massive differences just like there are with solids, so try (lots) before you buy :)

Check out the new Epiphone Zenith:

[url="http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=326&CollectionID=12"]http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?Produc...CollectionID=12[/url]

One thing is, I don't think the Ibanez AGB series are proper hollowbodies, they are solid in the middle with small hollow chambers.

If you had loads of cash to spare, I'd look at a Gretsch White Falcon! I saw The Dead Weather play earlier this year and Jack Lawrence played one of these:

Edited by dannybuoy

Thank you guys to everyone who took the time to reply and email me, it's been really helpful.

I do like the look of the Zenith basses, and the shout out about some basses not being true hollow bodies is a good eye opener. Back in full time employment again after Christmas, so I can see some investments being made once the readies start rolling in :)

I have a Darkstar'd Dearmond Starfire and it is one of my favourite basses, however I have had 3 Starfires and they are all slightly different, I kept the one with the best feel and playability and sold a better acoustic sounding one.

But either way good basses, I have always fancied a Jack Casady though.

Some people on the forum have let some cheap 60's and 70's lesser known brand hollowbodies go for under £200. Sometimes the best hollowbodies are the cheaper not so well built ones, it depends if you want that cardboardy thud or if you want it to sound like a normal bass :)

My vote certainly goes to the Epiphone Jack Cassady.
They are slowly becoming collectors items. The first few years they were produced, they came in Sunburst. Only a few hundred were made and have now doubled in value to well over $1200.

The gold and black ones can be had for ~$500US and will only appreciate in value.

Now that I think of it, in the 70's Epiphone had a line of Japanese built EA-260 basses.
[url="http://www.prestone.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=1561354"]Heres one for sale in the UK.[/url]

Edited by fingeringAm

Definately try and get a look at
1) Dean stylist
2) Eastwood Classic 4 (very similar to Gretsch in looks)

Have played both and really liked them.
I´m a big fan of the 335-type body (pure Chuck Berry!) so the Classic 4 wins on looks for me. great woody sound with a tiny top end bite. great for pick playing!
But if you come across the ltd edition Cabbie version of the Stylist-happy days. The PERFECT rockabilly bass (guitar). They sound lovely and warm and also are great for pick playing.

In terms of quality / price ratio (although always subjective) in hollowbody's, I don't think that there is a better deal out there than the Ibanez AGB-200.
And the produced sound, more than decent.
Not for all tastes though.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-agb200-semi-acoustic-bass-guitar-transparent-brown--46506"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-agb200...nt-brown--46506[/url]

• 1 month later...

There's a Dean stylist cabbie [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dean-Stylist-cabbie-Bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ200437028199QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2eaafa5567"]here [/url]on a famous auction site if anyone's looking for one, ending in 5 days.

Collection from Abbots Langley in Hertfordshire only though, which will probably put a lot of people off.

I'm in no way affiliated with whoever's selling it. Although I do have a couple of Dean basses, and think that generally as a brand they're underrated.

H&R

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='739365' date='Feb 8 2010, 08:26 PM']There's a Dean stylist cabbie [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dean-Stylist-cabbie-Bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ200437028199QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2eaafa5567"]here [/url]on a famous auction site if anyone's looking for one, ending in 5 days.

Collection from Abbots Langley in Hertfordshire only though, which will probably put a lot of people off.

I'm in no way affiliated with whoever's selling it. Although I do have a couple of Dean basses, and think that generally as a brand they're underrated.

H&R[/quote]

I've asked the seller a question ,and am awaiting reply . :)

[attachment=42383:018.jpg][attachment=42383:018.jpg

I have a Yamaha bex that I'm thinking of sellling. I got it two years ago for a project that never actually got off the ground.

It's not getting played and is surplus to requirements.

I've not gigged it or even taken it to rehearsals. I think the previous owner used it for recording. It is totally immaculate, not a mark on it and lives in a quality Yamaha hard case.

Pm me if its of interest to you.

All the best Gary.

[attachment=42383:018.jpg]I have aYamaha bex that I'm thinking of sellling. I got it two years ago for a project that never actually got off the ground.

It's not getting played and is surplus to requirements.

I've not gigged it or even taken it to rehearsals. I think the previous owner used it for recording. It is totally immaculate, not a mark on it and lives in a quality Yamaha hard case.

Pm me if its of interest to you.

All the best Gary.