Why become a member? ×

What's so special about the Fender Jazz

thepurpleblob

That's it really... why is it so special that there are a whole bunch of high-end manufacturers making faithful copies of the Jazz only four times the price. I'm thinking of the likes of Celinder, Sadowsky etc. in particular, but Overwater do one, as do Shuker and so on. What's going on? You don't get three grand copies of the precision everywhere you look :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='672525' date='Dec 2 2009, 09:37 PM']That's it really... why is it so special that there are a whole bunch of high-end manufacturers making faithful copies of the Jazz only four times the price. I'm thinking of the likes of Celinder, Sadowsky etc. in particular, but Overwater do one, as do Shuker and so on. What's going on? You don't get three grand copies of the precision everywhere you look :)[/quote]

Because the Jazz bass is so versatile and is pretty much a do it bass with the right preamp in it :rolleyes:

[quote name='Toasted' post='672588' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:24 PM']All the marques you list do P bass variants.[/quote]

Grrrr.... :)

You know what I mean... there's quite a number of makes that are very popular around here whose main business is "bigging up" the venerable Jazz. It just seems quite predictable although possibly a very safe business move. Are players really so conservative?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='672594' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:28 PM']Grrrr.... :)

You know what I mean... there's quite a number of makes that are very popular around here whose main business is "bigging up" the venerable Jazz. It just seems quite predictable although possibly a very safe business move. Are players really so conservative?[/quote]

FWIW bass players tend to be far more adventurous with new designs than virtually any other instrumentists (apart from people who use synths and so on). That being said, you are correct that some people are quite conservative in their tastes and would sooner go for a more old-school shape (I'm one of them). I think the reason for the four grand copies is that as well-designed and so on the Jazz bass might be, there are still some things about it that some players don't want to live with, from simple things like finish options right through to complete design rethinks like different scale lengths, exotic woods, pickup and control configuration and so on.

+1 on everything written above. Fender's feel like home to me, and the companies mentioned offer the possibility of customising the instrument to suit the individual player with little or no compromise in terms of specification, build quality, playability, and tone. I find I always gravitate to Fender-style, twin pickup, ash bodied, instruments.

Edited by drewie

[quote name='drewie' post='672663' date='Dec 2 2009, 11:29 PM']+1 on everything written above. Fender's feel like home to me, and the companies mentioned offer the possibility of customising the instrument to suit the individual player with little or no compromise in terms of specification, build quality, playability, and tone. I find I always gravitate to Fender-style, twin pickup, ash bodied, instruments.[/quote]

+1

I agree with all of the above. i have owned 'jazz' shape/type basses efore. When I found the Jazz I now own, I was like 'that's the sound I've been looking for'. Totally purposeful...

I think another reason for the copies is the general look of the bass, be it a J or a P. I've heard of people getting sent home from pro auditions for pulling a fancy looking 6 string out of the bag! It's outrageous I know, and I don't support this bass 'bigotry', but if your instrument is a reflection of your approach to playing, then alot of people are reassured by someone on a fender or that style instrument. They represent purposeful low end intentions which I why I think they are a safe bet for so many. It's a massive appearance thing.. that's why they all sound so different.

I sometimes wonder, if Leo F hadn't invented the electric bass, would it have stuck around?...

Edited by fingerz

I just think Leo got so much so right in the early days, from teles and strats to Precisions and Jazzes. Then there's the amps. I know it's a cliche but it really was a case of being bang on the money. I love Jazzes but do struggle with the narrow necks otherwise I'd play them more. I've played a couple of nice Lakland Jazzes recently

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='672525' date='Dec 2 2009, 09:37 PM'].... why is it so special that there are a whole bunch of high-end manufacturers making faithful copies of the Jazz only four times the price....[/quote]
Maybe they just thought that they could do better. There are many who think that the companies you mention have done just that.

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='673455' date='Dec 3 2009, 05:41 PM']geddy lee jazz bass mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wub:[/quote]

+1

I have one of these and it's a very versatile bass. looks and feels great, plays really well and is a decent size for me., as I'm a short arse :)

Also have a US Jazz from around 1980/81, which is a bit on the big side for me, but has a really slim neck.