Why become a member? ×

Through neck P Bass

hillbilly deluxe

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='660203' date='Nov 20 2009, 03:57 PM']That's really very nice.

The nut's a bit ... erm ... quirky.[/quote]
Don't know whether they still do it but Warwick used to use a similar (somewhat neater) adjustable nut on their basses. Cool idea I thought. Nice bass too - I remember Jackson used to do a thru neck Precision shaped bass with their signature pointy headstock and some rather lurid colour schemes. Not as nice as this though (unless you're into big hair and spandex...)

[quote name='henry norton' post='660236' date='Nov 20 2009, 03:29 PM']Don't know whether they still do it but Warwick used to use a similar (somewhat neater) adjustable nut on their basses. Cool idea I thought. Nice bass too - I remember Jackson used to do a thru neck Precision shaped bass with their signature pointy headstock and some rather lurid colour schemes. Not as nice as this though (unless you're into big hair and spandex...)[/quote]

My Fortress has the brass one and it's excellent. They use plastic ones now which are flakey (and sharp) but still work. I can't think of a reason why they changed them, other than cost and convenience

There were a couple of early 80s JapCrap examples from Fernandes & El Maya - the Fernandes was near-identical to the Satellite (possibly related) apart from colour, and the El Maya was very ornate - a proper Hippy Sandwich.

Can't find any pics but I'll keep diggin'.

Jon.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='660200' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:53 PM']Made by Brazilian luthier Andrellis.
Blocks, binding and pickguard are Brazilian Rosewood.
Are there any more through neck P/Jazz bases,the only other one i saw was years ago,a Sattelite P type.[/quote]

Wow , thats nice , wonder how much those go for ? Anyone ? Love the contrast between the Rosewood and Maple

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='660200' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:53 PM']Are there any more through neck P/Jazz bases...[/quote]

Quite a few Westone models from the 80's! Principally the ThunderIII. It's a fair bet that the other Matsumoku-manufactured marques (how's that for alliteration?) had a few, too; Check out Ibanez and Aria also.

Where's a Bassassin when you need one!?

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

[quote name='BB2000' post='660742' date='Nov 21 2009, 03:12 AM']Through necked instruments don't have the same punch as bolt on instruments though, especially bolt on's with traditional Fender bent tin bridges.[/quote]

That's not always what I've experienced. My Warwick Stage II was way more punchier than some bolt-ons I've owned, in fact probably most bolt-on's I've owned. And my Shuker set-neck is way more punchier than my Sei Jazz bolt-on.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='661827' date='Nov 22 2009, 02:56 PM']What ? less than 12 ??? :)[/quote]

For me the whole point of having a through-neck bass is so you can get decent upper neck access and a full 2 octaves on the G-string without the bulky Fender-style neck joint getting in the way.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='660432' date='Nov 20 2009, 06:24 PM']My Fortress has the brass one and it's excellent. They use plastic ones now which are flakey (and sharp) but still work. I can't think of a reason why they changed them, other than cost and convenience[/quote]
You had the brass JAN1, the JAN II is the awful crap one that has the easily breakable side retainers that rip you fingers, the JAN III is now standard and is excellent.

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='660200' date='Nov 20 2009, 02:53 PM']Made by Brazilian luthier Andrellis.
Blocks, binding and pickguard are Brazilian Rosewood.
Are there any more through neck P/Jazz bases,the only other one i saw was years ago,a Sattelite P type.[/quote]

Nice bass :) Here's mine,handmade by Mexicans in the U.S.A. in 1987,B.C.Rich ST Bass