Why become a member? ×

Your first bassline

16Again

[quote name='ahpook' post='71740' date='Oct 9 2007, 06:52 PM']be difficult to put my finger on it, but prolly something by joy division...maybe 'she's lost control' ??[/quote]

Me too!
Still sounds majestic now.

• 4 weeks later...

I probably play bass because of my mother's love of paul simon and his '80 albums. You can call me al was the first song I remember hearing and working out what the bass was! the first song i learnt was Smells like teen spirit! followed by most Nirvana's stuff. Then I went onto Chilis. then Jamiroquai. Since then I have found Jazz and an ego :)

out interest what are you guys listerning to and learning now? and does it relate back to your childhood/beginner experiences?
Have you come full circle or are you so far gone you cant remember why you used to get soooo excited over a certain line!!!!

I was about 14 and I'm ashamed to say it was Lucky Star or something by Madonna because that was in the charts at the time and it was easy. It was on a crappy black Hondo II bass and Carlsbro guitar amp, borrowed from our forward thinking school music teacher. Then it was Level 42 after that. :)

Edited by stingrayfan

Its nice to see a few Manchester bands (Gomez, Stone Roses) inspiring the bass players of today. They certainly helped me along the way. My first line was Otherside by The Chilli's, played on a Squire by Fender bought for £50 off my mate who needed rent money.
I then persevered with the whole of the Californication album (not a good idea really) which took ages and sounded terrible for a while (seeing as i'd only just picked up the bass).

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='71586' date='Oct 9 2007, 01:58 PM']One bass line that always made me want to play 'air' bass was 'Same Old Scene' by Roxy Music or 'Peaches' by The Stranglers or Anything by Japan.[/quote]

I've been trying to play Karn's basslines for years, I've come to conclusion all I need is a Wal Fretless and some talent.

Showing my age here perhaps, but it was "The Chain" - Fleetwood Mac, played on my secondhand plywood bodied short-scale Precision copy (on which I'd had to manually rewind the pickup myself in order to get it to work).

Since confession is supposed to be good for the soul, I'll also admit that next was the contents of Status Quo's "12 Gold Bars" album.

Thankfully, both my bass hardware and repertoire have moved on a bit from then.

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='Johnzy' post='82130' date='Nov 1 2007, 10:25 AM']I probably play bass because of my mother's love of paul simon and his '80 albums. You can call me al was the first song I remember hearing and working out what the bass was! ..........[/quote]

Yeh! Totally the same for me. I used to play basslines on my guitar though. The first bassline I learned to play on the bass was "carousel" (I think) by Blink 182 'cos my mate at school wanted to start a punk/pop covers band and thought it would challenge me. There wasn't much of a challenge in that band!

Edit: Just to say L-mac - Most amusing.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='ste_m3' post='82199' date='Nov 1 2007, 12:22 PM']good lord, my first few basslines where all blink 182 i think! >.<

What made me want to stat bass? Hmm, I think gomez had a fair grip on me bass wise[/quote]

Aye, I also learned loads of Blink 182 songs to start with.

I remember the first riff I learnt was the main one from Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes, and I think the first proper line I learnt was Smells Like Teen Spirit.

[quote name='paul, the' post='82522' date='Nov 1 2007, 09:48 PM']The 'You're' in the title is killing me.[/quote]
I tried to get in the spirit, and started writing "[b]I'm[/b] first real bassline...", but I chickened out.

• 4 weeks later...