Why become a member? ×

Your first bassline

16Again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Great forum.

This is my first post.

I was really inspired to play bass after hearing the basslines (mostly played by Deon Estes) on the first Wham! album Fantastic.

To me, it sounded like the basslines, Deon added to tracks was like "fairy dust" or something.

I thought he was a brilliant player, very inspired (and taught) by James Jamerson.

Shortly after purchasing my first bass (a no name Precision copy) for the princely sum of 69.00 quid, I took lessons from a great local bass teacher called Barry Evans.

On my first lesson, Barry taught me my first bassline, "My Jamaican Guy" by Grace Jones played by Robbie Shakespeare.

I thought it was great that I could come away from my first lesson with something like that and if any of you know (or are lucky enough to study with Barry - used to live in the Kingston/Ham, Surrey area), please put him in touch with me via this forum.

I owe him a lot and would like to pass on my thanks to him for getting me up and running.

Cheers!

Dave!

There were two songs bass lines that made me pick it up.....

they were

Alien Ant Farms - Movies - simply because it's really prominant in the song

and

queens - invisible man - John deacon is a legend and in this song the bass line is all i can here because it's so quick and in your face

but the first full on bass line i learnt was green days - Holiday

just love this song it's just pure punk with a fantastic bass solo

:)

the song that made me want to learn was take the power back by rage against the machine

the slap thing was mind boggling at the age of 11 - "you mean... they actually whack the strings with their thumb? i dont believe you"

the first line i learned was come as you are by nirvana, and i learned that before i played bass, just messing about with a friends guitar

Edited by StiffyP

The song that made me think I might have more success playing bass than guitar was Black Night (Deep Purple). So I bought a bass for £100 from a friend who had given up. There was no name on it, but I discovered later it was probably a 1980s Kay, made in Korea. It was quite a nice bass once I changed everything on it except the wood and the frets.

Mine would have to be Another One Bites The Dust by Queen. John Deacon is god!!!! I think I would be reduced to a gibbering wreck if I ever got to meet him.. and *that* 67 P Bass!!!

Short of his gold hardware, this is near as I'm getting to that bass!!