Why become a member? ×

Jazz basses...

OutToPlayJazz

Well, the 75RI has gone from dull parchment scratch plate to cool pearloid white to go with the pearloid block markers. Thought I'd use the opportunity to get some good shots of my other Jazz bass at the same time! The Japanese bass just needs some decent pickups and a more substantial bridge & we're there :)

The old in white...

And the new pearloid look...

Some more of my '09 American Standard for good measure. The light was good this afternoon...

I really like the stock pickups in my MIJ '75 RI. It'll be interesting to see what the out come is with the changes you plan to make. Be sure to post your thoughts. I would like to change the scratch plate on mine though and think the pearloid is a good choice.

Lovely basses. Sunburst and tort is such a good look.

Loving the new frock (hmmm pearly) whack a set of nordstrand nj,4s (they do them with a 70,s wind) ive got some in my jv squire, very articulate and clear, with a nice bottom end (not massive though vintage fans) they dont have a huge output so i think they would benefit from a preamp (i have an EMG one) to bring a bit more low end thump, they do sound fantastic and have a great slap tone, all you,d need then is a High mass bridge and a sadowsky circuit and your laughing- gorgeous bass mate im jealous- all the best - lee

I replaced the stock white one on my sage green Jazz with a black perloid and it does make a big difference.

Simple but effective for sure. Just need to put a decent set of pick ups in and I might get away with gigging the thing. Just doesnt have enough bottom end to it.

[quote name='Shambo' post='644926' date='Nov 4 2009, 01:49 AM']I preferred the plain ol white one. :)[/quote]
Agreed... I just don't like tortoise shell scratchplates!
I have a tort red one with my white Jap Jazz and I keep meaning to put something more plain on it, maybe a light blue one?
Or is that just me trying to be toooo cool? :rolleyes:

A scratchplate can make or break a bass lol.
Much prefer the pearl to the white on the 75RI.

I changed my sunburst US Jazz's white one to brown tort.
My black Jazz is Black scratchplate.
The '73 is tort
My incoming Classic Vibe is tort.

But the Custom Shop I spec'ed up would have only looked good with a white one!
Swings and roundabouts innit :)

Si

Well the bass is gradually becoming a project. The scratch guard was first and I've now ordered a Gotoh 201 (good for my pocket due to the current BadAss famine!) bridge which should be here in the next few days. I was initially worried about the increased height due to saddle size, but I can either swap the barrels over between the two bridges or use the micro-tilt system on the RI's neck plate to shim it a little if needed.

Next job will be full internal shielding & I'm still thinking about those Nordstrand pickups...

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='646031' date='Nov 5 2009, 10:11 AM']Nice pickguard switch there - reminds me of when I used to own jonthebass's 90s Precision and changed it from this:

to this.... :)

[/quote]

That's really nice, StingRayFan. There's something about an all black Precision. Pity I don't do any gigs these days where a Precision would fit in.

I agree that the pearl scratch is much nicer. The white plate is too stark. Nice switch.

I replaced the PUs on my CIJ Jaco Jazz fretless only because I wanted to add an Audere pre and make the whole bass as silent as possible. I added Nordstrand NJSEs, which I think are amazing PUs. Having said that, the original PUs were fine : )

Davo

[quote name='Davo-London' post='647482' date='Nov 6 2009, 06:15 PM']I agree that the pearl scratch is much nicer. The white plate is too stark. Nice switch.

I replaced the PUs on my CIJ Jaco Jazz fretless only because I wanted to add an Audere pre and make the whole bass as silent as possible. I added Nordstrand NJSEs, which I think are amazing PUs. Having said that, the original PUs were fine : )

Davo[/quote]

Thanks for that, Davo. Did the Nordstrands solve the bad earthing crackle you seem to get on all CIJ's? Also, did the output improve? I find the CIJ's output is very weak in comparison to my American Standard. I absolutely agree with you btw, the standard pickups sound lovely, apart from all the crackling. :)

Stage two complete... Gotoh 201 bridge now installed. Had to shim the neck very slightly on the micro-tilt screw, but intonation and string height are all settling nicely. There's so much more sustain from the new bridge, but it also sounds more alive and "present" in a broader range of frequencies.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz