Why become a member? ×

New Start

Musicman20

Hey guys

Most of you know im relocating to London very soon. Ive had to tell the band that im leaving and I think one of them is a little miffed and thinks im making a big mistake.

But...its getting a little quiet, and weve written 2 songs in 6-8 months. I just have lost heart.

I didnt want to leave though....but a band from London have got in contact with me after I put an advert up. Well, a few bands did.

Some of them were ok, some of them were very good. Then, jackpot...the right band, ultra pro recording, and exactly the music I'd like to play, (Alkaline Trio, Jimmy Eat World, Samiam as their influences). Then they sent the tracks....wow. Now im actually more excited than I've been in years about playing. Not only are these guys decent chaps, their music is really really good. Ultra catchy, tight, melodic, and upbeat modern punk rock...a little more on the commercial side but in a good way.

I really hope it works out...Ive got a meeting with them in November and a trial.

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='RichB' post='640681' date='Oct 30 2009, 05:53 AM']I always like a happy ending. :)[/quote]
Do you go to the same massage parlour as me? :rolleyes:

But seriously, Gareth, sounds like you have landed on your feet with this band. Look forward to catching up in London and, hopefully, playing on the same bill at a punk evening soon

[quote name='Musicman20' post='640624' date='Oct 29 2009, 11:56 PM']and exactly the music I'd like to play, (Alkaline Trio, Jimmy Eat World, Samiam as their influences). Then they sent the tracks....wow.[/quote]

Got any links? That sounds exactly like the kind of music I listen to!

I always enjoy the period preceding a change - I'm an optimist so I assume it's going to be marvellous and we'll take over the world and even if previous occurences haven't proven quite so perfect, I still go in thinking I'll get lucky this time! If you're all on the same musical page that's half the battle won. If it doesn't work out you're not going to be short of potential bandmates in London, one thing it isn't is provincial!

We're trying out a new singer (to replace me) on Monday so here's hoping for that too...

Alex

[quote name='51m0n' post='640763' date='Oct 30 2009, 09:21 AM']Nice one mate - now all you've got to do is figure out which of the arsenal of amps and cabs you've been squirrelling away you want to unleash on them first :)[/quote]

I used to really enjoy only owning one rig and thus only having the take own rig or use provided backline option - what have I got myself into now?! And if I had multiple basses to choose from... :rolleyes:

Alex

[quote name='51m0n' post='640763' date='Oct 30 2009, 09:21 AM']Nice one mate - now all you've got to do is figure out which of the arsenal of amps and cabs you've been squirrelling away you want to unleash on them first :)[/quote]
Gotta be your new (my old) white Sid/Ramones-alike P bass and the Orange rig!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='640624' date='Oct 29 2009, 11:56 PM']I really hope it works out...Ive got a meeting with them in November and a trial.

Cheers

Gareth[/quote]

A trial ? What did you get done for

Still welcome to London just be warned that once you come here you can never leave - a bit like Hotel California - except it isnt in California or a Hotel

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

I was actually thinking 'which bass??' for when I go try out. Im thinking after my gig last night that the new Oly White Fender Precision with flats will sound nice, full and perfect for this kind of music.

It was my first gig with flats...and I was very impressed with how clear they were. I expected flats to be a little less clear than stainless, but they were spot on. Yeah, you dont get the really bright attack, but when you have 2 guitarists with quite a bright sound, it sits nicely in the background and provides that good fat low end.

I think the amp will have to be the LM3 due to space in the car....I doubt ill be able to get a cab down so Im going to ask what they have in their practice room.

Im going to spend the afternoon learning some of their material now.

I dont want to be too positive about it, as I might not be right for them as yet, but its definitely the kinda stuff I enjoy playing and also find a breeze to play, so I can add some little bass runs in the right places.

I will keep this topic updated :) Im more bothered about me and the new band getting on than the playing...to me its half the battle. But they seem like really decent chaps and they approached me which is a good sign.

Cheers