Why become a member? ×

Plug in and play...?

ianwild16

How many people just use their guitar and amp for gigging, without any effects inbetween?
I just can't be a**ed with lugging about more equipment, which could also be another thing to go wrong.
If you're playing regular Rock / Pop covers which was originally recorded without obvious effects, are effects really required in a pub/club situation?
Ian

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='637271' date='Oct 26 2009, 08:02 PM']No effects for me...[/quote]

Nor me - I like things as simple as possible but it does mean I'm set up first at practices and gigs. This means I end up helping everybody else shifting their gear!!

Steve

[quote name='StevieC' post='637284' date='Oct 26 2009, 08:14 PM']Nor me - I like things as simple as possible but it does mean I'm set up first at practices and gigs. This means I end up helping everybody else shifting their gear!!

Steve[/quote]

yeah..that's me as well!
Come to think of it, our guitarist just tends to use two guitar sounds - dirty and clean - without the use of effects pedals.
I reckon its more unusual for a guitarist to not use effects and I must admit that sometimes I wish he would use more sounds, but i suppose he does have enough to do being the lead (only) guitar and lead vocal.

I used to use a massive pedalboard chock full of pedals etc; I used to run two amp stacks, one clean, one dirty via a Whirlwind splitter box - the bassrig looked like a PA on stage, four cabs and two heads! This mega system was then fed into the PA such that each had its own channel - nasty!

Now its my bass straight into my amp! Sometimes I use an octave divider but only when I feel a bit Pino/Guy! I do use a set of synth bass pedals but thats another story...

Guest johnzgerman

yep, i just have a tuner and a distortion channel on my amp which i rarely use. i prefer to spend my time playing bass not making strange woooby noises etc.

I had a thread about this last year. My experience has been that the larger the band, the less opportunity/need there is for pedals.

My band has two guitarists and a keyboard player - there's only room for an effect or two on the occasional song. Most of the time the pedals are there ... but in true bypass mode.

I really must start up a three-piece band as a side project.

bass -> amp for me. but its an active bass, so i guess its really bass -> preamp -> amp.

no effects for our guitarist either. he just has an overdriven and a clean channel thats he's programmed into his amp, and has a channel select footswitch.

Edited by Tait

In one band just a P-Bass with flats, fingerstyle straight into the amp with a tuner inbetween. My other band; roundwounds through fuzzes,envelope filters,octaver,phasers.... anything!
Depends on the type of music & what other sonics are going on in the band, if there's room etc.
But I don't think that [i]pure[/i] sound of a bass into amp, with whatever tone coming from the fingers, can be beaten sometimes.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='637310' date='Oct 26 2009, 08:36 PM']I had a thread about this last year. My experience has been that the larger the band, the less opportunity/need there is for pedals.

My band has two guitarists and a keyboard player - there's only room for an effect or two on the occasional song. Most of the time the pedals are there ... but in true bypass mode.

I really must start up a three-piece band as a side project.[/quote]

bass > Senheisser wireless > Wah > Zoom 2.1 multi > 2 channel amp with SVT setting on one and full on reggae phatness on the other.

It depends on what is happening, whether my band is the full 5 of us or if we have 4, and then if it's the guy who plays simple guitar or the other one that plays guitar +GT10 effects + mandolin + banjo and 2 keyboards (the professor...)

I use octave, funkwah, distortion but mostly for added fun and punter teasing (and winding up the guitarist)

As Jack says, the more other things going on the less notes and effects I do but the wah-wah wars are fun sometimes :)

Depping for a rock band I just plug straight in and depping on upright I just plug straight in too .. Not even a tuner :rolleyes:

Edited by OldGit

I have one gig where I use a lot of effects and they're pretty necessary - vanilla bass guitar just doesn't suit most of their material. I do another gig where I go straight into the amp.

I don't mind lugging a pedal board around with me because my amp setup is really small and light. It does mean I've got two mains cables and two instrument cables to plug in, instead of one of each, but I somehow manage to find that extra 30 seconds of setup time from somewhere. :)

I used to use my zoom b2 in between my bass and amp as a tone shaping pre-amp type thing when live but that was when I used my warwick streamer std. Sounded amazing at low volume but was a nightmare in a live gig situation.

Now i've got my stingray i dont need one which is brilliant. Saying that, i do occasionally borrow my guitardists big muff in practice to play about with

[quote name='51m0n' post='637382' date='Oct 26 2009, 09:35 PM']bass -> comp -> tuner -> head

I want more pedals for sploinky funkiness though :)[/quote]

Me too! :-)

I have to send you a link to the ultimate funk wah toy :rolleyes:

You will love this, it's the ultimate funkification!

Used to have a fetish for overdrive pedals when I was gigging with a solid state Trace Elliot combo. I bought a Fafner at the start of the year though and really think it sounds best with minimal effects for what I'm doing. Now, my set up is bass-tuner-head most of the time...well sometimes a overdrive pedal sneaks in there but not that often.