Why become a member? ×

Plug in and play...?

ianwild16

Started a similar thread a while back, as I play in a covers band that tries to get close to the original sound for each song. Someone suggested getting a Zoom B2 to play with and learn what sounds I liked / needed. I took the advice and it had been very helpful - mostly in convincing me that I didn't like most of the things on it!! :)

In the end I've got a bank of about 4 sounds which I use on gigs: Chorus (1 song - could manage without it), Octaver (2 songs but again totally unnecessary), heavy distortion (2 songs which really need it for anything approaching the original) and a couple of valve amp emulators which I use for most of the rock-ier numbers and which the rest of the band really likes.

When cash allows, a 2-channel valve head and an octaver would probably cover it!

I was a plug and play when we were a 4 piece.

Now we're a trio I have gaps to play with. I've added a chorus and an overdrive. Used sparingly they fill it out nicely here and there.

Fuzz is next on the list for two songs that will benefit from it. Then I'm calling it a day......Honest :)

Bass --> EHX BMS --> TU-2 --> Jim D bass wah --> (now sold) ODB-3 --> hartke bass attack --> amp

Now why i use them:
-BMS: for when i want to play an octave down, or in my most recent band, play a low E for our rocked up cover of 'crazy' by gnarles barkley in e on a really long filter sweep - the only synthy madness I use
-TU-2: to stay in tune. I have a seperate mute pedal as well so I can see if I'm in tune all the time.
-wah - for quiter numbers with no bass at all i use it to shape a bit of tone with no sweep at all. I either have it very foot up and high notes being played for more bass on the high chords or I have it the opposite for taking away the stomach grumbles people get from my regular tone.
-ODB-3 for a bit of warm grit very occassionally. I use it to really boost the bass and to chunk up the distortion for the guitarist.
-0Hartke bass attach simply for it's shaping stuff. i loveee the tone it gives.

I like a clean tone of a bass, and each of the pedals I use at least 3 times in a typical christian worship music set!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='637277' date='Oct 26 2009, 08:09 PM']Boss Tuner + sometimes the Sansamp or Tonehammer.[/quote]
Just started doing this myself - before I got the SansAmp I was going straight into the head, with a tuner on the 'Tuner Out', DI into PA

Simples :)

Bass and amp for me. I have nothing against effects in principle and I do have one of those multi-effects things which I used for a while initially but, after getting a decent bass and rig, actually like the sound of that on it's own. I must admit, though, that my main problem with effects is not knowing exactly how to achieve the various sounds I hear on records so I just steer clear of them.