Why become a member? ×

a strange thing happened tonight

Ou7shined

[quote name='OldGit' post='633350' date='Oct 22 2009, 12:33 PM']Ask for the contract and get a Musicians Union lawyer to check it for you - or at least tell them that's what you are going to do.
I suspect all interest in your band will dry up very rapidly.

Also ask for the rules of the "battle" BOTB's always have some in my limited experience. It's usually "biggest crowd wins and sod the talent" but that's by the by...

This is a "15 minutes of fame" type thing - you are seduced into doing something you would never ordinarily do for the chance of being on telly somewhere ..

Run away, and fast....

+1 on leave out the religion discussion. I don't think it has any relevance here[/quote]
I can assure you we are 100% not being seduced by the chance to be on the telly, although publicity of that ilk would be great for the band (if a little embarrassing given the theme). However we are probably very hopeful about the £1000 (even though we won't win) as we have some great songs that need recording. We would only do this as a chance to benefit the band.

The rules do seem a little unusual for a BOTB. I'm a little hazy on the details as I stopped listening half way through but....
6 bands get up one at a time and do a song each then 2 bands are eliminated by the panel of 3 judges (one of which is the musical director of The Lemon Tree (the venue - a sort of council funded arts centre) and a representative from the music shop sponsor) Then the 4 remaining bands go up for another song each, 2 are again eliminated then the remaining 2 go up for a final head to head. The bands will be judged on lyrical content, song structure, commercial appeal, band chemistry and instrumental ??? - I think the language barrier came in to play here but we all nodded like we knew what he was saying.

I think they mentioned that it is a charity run thing too (didn't catch any charity name) but £1000+ seems like a lot for a charity to give away.

[quote name='thedonutman' post='633621' date='Oct 22 2009, 06:03 PM']I vote walk away too.

As a side note, my band is considering entering a local BOTB too. Apparently to enter we have to write and record a song about AIDS (Awareness, obviously :) ).......[/quote]
Do it like the one in Team America... you'll win for sure. :rolleyes:

I am a christian and this sound as dodgy as anything.

I agree with the earlier comments. Charities don't give away £1000 that easily. No offence, but if it's a promotional thing I can think of better ways to use £1000 for promotional material. Sounds like a scam to me.

Avoid........

Just found this on the venue's website.

[quote]Aberdeen is a city known for its Oil and Gas; amongst other things, it is the heart of Scotland and is highly esteemed by its residents. The music scene in Aberdeen is growing, and is a very essential facet of growth in this society. The Battle of the Bands Aberdeen 2009 is an event organised by a local Charity “Jesus House”. This event will pull bands primarily from Aberdeen and then from all across Scotland together, to channel their creative energies towards creating and performing skilful music to an expectant audience.

After this 2009 inaugural competition, from 2010, the competition will now be organised on annual basis as "Scotland Battle of the Bands" and will be open to music bands from across all of Scotland. The sponsors are open to having other organisations join as co-sponsors

The primary objective of this competition is to reach out to Aberdeen and positively impact lives through good music, showcasing the best bands that Scotland has to offer. The sponsoring charity will offer a prize of £1000 to the most successful band, performing on the night. Local music retailer “Bruce Miller” will also co-sponsor the event by offering runner up prizes to the other two most successful bands. The event will take place at 6.00 pm on the November 8 in The Lemon Tree Lounge. Judges for the competition will include a former Music Executive, a local Music Artist and other qualified individuals, who will judge the competition based on band creativity, performance and synergy within the groups.

This competition will be a blast, so let’s make some good music![/quote]

I've spoken separately to 2 of the band members about my concerns and they just think I'm being a mental case thinking anything shady is going on. :)

Run away!

Anyone ever heard of the charity [i]Jesus house[/i]? No? Thought not, if a charity's so smallthat no-ones heard of it, they're not going to have a grand to be throwing around now are they! Particularly not for the [b]inaugural[/b] event of a battle of the bands based in one city!

The whole thing stinks, and your band mates are stupid for not listening to you about it! (particularly since, as the bass player, you're the only one with any sense anyway)

The credibilty (not to mention self-respect) you will lose for writing songs you don't believe in, is worth more than anything you stand to gain.

Edited by beardybass

[quote name='beardybass' post='634374' date='Oct 23 2009, 12:45 PM']Anyone ever heard of the charity [i]Jesus house[/i]? No? Thought not, if a charity's so smallthat no-ones heard of it, they're not going to have a grand to be throwing around now are they! Particularly not for the [b]inaugural[/b] event of a battle of the bands based in one city![/quote]

No, I've not heard of them. However a quick search of the charity commission website [url="http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/ShowCharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1088614&SubsidiaryNumber=0"][u]reveals[/u][/url] that there is a charity with that name, and quite a big one. They collect and donate about £4m a year...but they are London based and this event does not appear in their events calendar...so I think the existence of such a charity is either a coincidence or a pretext.

To Ou7shined, I would say this sounds dodgy as hell. I'm as Christian as they come, of the evangelical tradition, and this is [i]weird[/i] behaviour for a pukka religious organisation.

If your bandmates still think you're making a fuss about nothing, maybe you could ring the factual [url="http://www.jesushouse.org.uk/pwsite/index.php"]Jesus House[/url] and ask them if they know what the hell (sorry, Heaven) is going on.

F-ing Christians indeed, always making trouble :)

Cheers

Jon

Thanks Jon. Yeah I found the JH webby last night but without the backing of the band I'm just gonna have to let it lie. If it does go wrong then I get to do a big "I told you so".
We have an "induction" meeting tomorrow so maybe I can glean more info - maybe even get someone to see my side of it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='635066' date='Oct 24 2009, 05:36 AM']Here's your Jesus House - Aberdeen chapter. It does list your event.
[url="http://www.jesushouseaberdeen.org/index.php?mo=11&yr=2009"]http://www.jesushouseaberdeen.org/index.ph...=11&yr=2009[/url][/quote]

We slagged it off. We jibed. We sneered. Now every one of us cynics is going to burn in Hellfire.

And it's all ou7shined's fault. BC Angry Mob to transport, please.

Edited by skankdelvar

heres a dumb question to those who know - Christian rock is a big genre, arent Christian rock events normally marked in their advertising?

In the same way that metal events are obviously metal and folk events are obviously folk?

Otherwise, it seems a little nieve to assume every unsigned band in Scotland of every genre would want to write religeous songs.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Mikey R' post='635087' date='Oct 24 2009, 08:52 AM']heres a dumb question to those who know - Christian rock is a big genre, arent Christian rock events normally marked in their advertising?

In the same way that metal events are obviously metal and folk events are obviously folk?

Otherwise, it seems a little nieve to assume every unsigned band in Scotland of every genre would want to write religeous songs.[/quote]
+1 I said this to the guys.
There's no mention of god bothering in the ad at all - the guys are happy that it was omitted so as not to put people off.

Our singer has come up with some new lyrics for this. He can be guilty of cheesy lyrics at times but OMG these take the biscuit - not because of their content but because they sound like Sunday school lyrics. He's done one about Judas and is in the process of converting a song of ours called "Man in Demand" to be all about god. :) I asked him not to be so literal about the wording because (and I honestly don't want to offend anyone here but) religiously minded people are happy to interpret stuff to fit their beliefs. I've asked him to be less obvious about the lyrics (perhaps do stuff about wonderment etc.) and leave it up to the listener to make the connection.... but I'm just the bass player.

[quote name='Hutton' post='635205' date='Oct 24 2009, 12:06 PM']After having looked at the website I'm even more worried about them. But there again I'm just an old-fashioned liberal who would throw a fit if I had to wave my hands in the air whilst singing God pop.[/quote]

Agreed, waving of hands...oooh no.

Well, Ou7shined, I wish you all the best - you're going in with your eyes open so if the worst comes to worst you're not going to get done over. I'd be interested to hear how this goes, though: could you pop back on with an 'and finally' message after the event?

Cheers

Jon

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='635194' date='Oct 24 2009, 11:44 AM']+1 I said this to the guys.
.......and is in the process of converting a song of ours called "Man in Demand" to be all about god. :)[/quote]

Why does this remind me of South Park, the episode where Cartman was taking well known songs, crossing out the word "baby", and inserting the word "jesus", to make it big using the Christian Music Industry.........

It does seem a little odd that they have not "come clean" about the religeous aspect of this competition.

Anyway, as has been said, you appear to be going into this with your eyes open, although you, yourself, seem to be a bit dubious about the whole affair.....I suppose the best you can do is to take whatever you can from the experience, and, if it were me, watch your back.

T.

P.S. - I am not having a dig at the promoters/organizers, but I would be concerned about rights, royalties and mis-representation.

I would walk away from any band that insisted on going through with woeful crap like this.
I'd feel more comfortable selling drugs to toddlers to raise £1000 than having to write some "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" horseshit.
At least that way I'd retain my dignity......