Why become a member? ×

WIRELESS UNITS SUCK!

TGEvans

I spent two years spinning round stages with a Sennheiser Freeport and never had any trouble (apart from forgetting to put fresh batteries in every once in a while). We had three of them on the go, but our singer gave up on his when he realised he never strayed far enough from the mic stand for it to be any use.

Me and the guitarists even knew each others pedal changes so we could swap sides on the stage mid-song and not have to worry! Don't use it now as running around the stage throwing shapes is a bit inappropriate in an alt-country band, but I'd have no qualms about relying on it if the situation required.

Used to use a Nady something or other, but I've been all cable for the last 10 years. Why?

Its one less thing to worry about going wrong. It didnt give me problems very often, but I just found I didnt need to run around to get people on their feet, I needed to groove better, so I got rid of a variable....

[quote name='Stingray5' post='625686' date='Oct 14 2009, 03:05 AM']On a different note, another reason for going wireless is the extra safety of not being physically connected to my gear thus reducing (or even eliminating) the chance of electric shock etc.
I've had one or two discussions with other muso types as to the validity of this argument and wondered if someone here could shed some definitive light on this.
I've never had to (and would rather not) test the theory first hand! :)[/quote]
Yep-it eliminates the connection between you, the mic, and your backline. After dying onstage a few years back (and luckily being brought back by a Doc in the audience) I went wireless, and haven't used a lead since. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='625812' date='Oct 14 2009, 10:59 AM']Yep-it eliminates the connection between you, the mic, and your backline. [u]After dying onstage a few years back (and luckily being brought back by a Doc in the audience)[/u] I went wireless, and haven't used a lead since. :)[/quote]

Now THAT, Sir, is rock n roll behavior!

I used a Samson bug back in the originals band days as I loved to get moshing and sweaty out in the crowd. Wouldn't be without it.

Here's a thought though - those Samsons work off a 1.5V AAA battery. My Status has to have 2x 9V batteries as (presumably) a 4.5V peak headroom isn't enough to handle the transient loud attacks. So let's be conservative and say that if I'm giving it full gusto the Status is outputting a signal with 6V peaks. How can a unit with a 1.5V power source, ergo a 0.75V headroom, handle my signal without severe compression?
It's possible the Samson attenuates the signal, transmits it within it's peak-peak limits and then re-amplifies it within the receiver, but that would have a horrible effect on the high end detail and noise output.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='625812' date='Oct 14 2009, 10:59 AM']Yep-it eliminates the connection between you, the mic, and your backline. After dying onstage a few years back (and luckily being brought back by a Doc in the audience) I went wireless, and haven't used a lead since. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I've died on stage a few times ... :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='626016' date='Oct 14 2009, 02:12 PM']I've died on stage a few times ... :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
...Too Tempting!
...May as well get me coat now! :lol:

I just bought a wireless set up and the first question from the band was Great!...How long do the batteries last?....wasnt quite sure how to take that?. :lol:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='nash' post='625396' date='Oct 13 2009, 07:42 PM']what's wrong with cables? i've never tripped over one.[/quote]
Ever done an outdoor gig and it started to rain..... then touched your lips on the mic? I generally don't use one for regular gigs but I have a Sennheiser for just such occasions coz I [b]never [/b]want to do that again.

BigAlonBass OMFG :)

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='metaltime' post='626053' date='Oct 14 2009, 02:53 PM']I am going to invest in one when i have the required cash. I am tired of pulling leads out/leads getting tangled/leads breaking/getting tangled in effects. I hate leads. :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

MB1. :lol:
.....No Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape for You then!... Sorry! .....Should have gone to Specsavers! :lol:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Stingray5' post='625686' date='Oct 14 2009, 03:05 AM']another reason for going wireless is the extra safety of not being physically connected to my gear thus reducing (or even eliminating) the chance of electric shock etc.[/quote]

That's the only reason I'd consider one, but tbh I never even think about wireless packs until they come up in conversation on here. I sing on most of our tunes so unless I get a mic stand attached to my bass like Larry Graham I'm not going to stray very far. :) But the fact that I've always got a mic now makes me worry about earthing sh*t through my sh*t.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='NickH' post='625999' date='Oct 14 2009, 01:55 PM']How can a unit with a 1.5V power source, ergo a 0.75V headroom, handle my signal without severe compression?[/quote]

I believe analogue wireless units use compression and expansion, like the dbx noise reduction on cassette 4-tracks. I think some of them also have highpass filtering (and possibly corrective EQ afterwards as on an RIAA curve preamp). Fortunately most bass rigs have sufficient colouration to hide the deficiencies of wireless, especially once the band is playing!

Considering how static most bass players seem to be, I'd have thought a 30' lead would be a better solution to walk the floor during soundcheck (something I regularly do). The only times I have problems with being tethered is if I dance predominantly in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction...

RCDs are probably a wise bet if you're a singing bassist - better take my own advice and get one!

Alex

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='626093' date='Oct 14 2009, 03:24 PM']"... the fact that I've always got a mic now makes me worry about earthing sh*t through my sh*t..."[/quote]
Yep - witness Stone The Crows guitarist Les Harvey (R.I.P.)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='626161' date='Oct 14 2009, 04:38 PM']I believe analogue wireless units use compression and expansion, like the dbx noise reduction on cassette 4-tracks. I think some of them also have highpass filtering (and possibly corrective EQ afterwards as on an RIAA curve preamp). Fortunately most bass rigs have sufficient colouration to hide the deficiencies of wireless, especially once the band is playing!

Considering how static most bass players seem to be, I'd have thought a 30' lead would be a better solution to walk the floor during soundcheck (something I regularly do). The only times I have problems with being tethered is if I dance predominantly in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction...

RCDs are probably a wise bet if you're a singing bassist - better take my own advice and get one!

Alex[/quote]
Guess it depends on the size of the 'room'. With some of my gigs, a 30' lead is not long enough as, where possible, I like to REALLY walk around during sound-checks and see how things sound from all angles! Even from the loo!! :)
Plus I like to move around on stage. Nothing worse than running back and forth with a guitarist and finding you've plaited your leads nicely together! :rolleyes:
As an extra precaution, wireless or not, I still use an RCD of some sort.

[quote name='OldGit' post='626228' date='Oct 14 2009, 05:51 PM']Blige I'd be well tied up with 30 foot of lead to trip over. Doesn't a 30 foot lead affect the sound too?[/quote]

I can attest that 40ft definitely does. I once tried 20ft -> pedalboard -> 20ft and it was shockingly dull-sounding when I true-bypassed the whole board, even with active basses.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='626256' date='Oct 14 2009, 06:20 PM']I can attest that 40ft definitely does. I once tried 20ft -> pedalboard -> 20ft and it was shockingly dull-sounding when I true-bypassed the whole board, even with active basses.[/quote]

ah that's a point There's 8 meters of Van Damme and George L between my wireless and the amp after its excursion to the front of the stage ...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='626256' date='Oct 14 2009, 06:20 PM']I can attest that 40ft definitely does. I once tried 20ft -> pedalboard -> 20ft and it was shockingly dull-sounding when I true-bypassed the whole board, even with active basses.[/quote]

I used to run 30' from bass to board, 30' from board to amp. Any decent* active preamp should be able to drive this with no change in tone whatsoever.

* But so many aren't.

My bandmates don't move enough for me to get tangled in them! The Q-Tuners on my passive bass don't appear to have a problem with the load from a 30' cable, which is nice...

Alex

[quote name='TGEvans' post='625317' date='Oct 13 2009, 06:22 PM']Anybody else not trust them?[/quote]

Been wireless for about three years now (must be around 150 gigs). I only use the cheap AKG sets but i dont have any issue and haven't been let down yet.

Believe it or not i use them because we play small stages/areas and i got fed up standing on my lead. Plus i can go out at sound check to hear how the mix is.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've used a wireless for more years than I can remember now, and have both a transmitter for the bass and receiver for the IEM nowadays.

Still use the radio in even the smallest of gigs. There's the "Stone the Crows" issue and the tangle issue. It's actually quite useful for that at the smaller gigs as well.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='neilb' post='625539' date='Oct 13 2009, 09:11 PM']I still have an old nady 201 from about 15-20 yrs ago. Are they still legal to use?[/quote]
AFAIK, they're the [u]only[/u] things that are legal to use without a licence (and other wirelesses that operate at around 175MHz).

[quote name='Stingray5' post='625686' date='Oct 14 2009, 02:05 AM']When my battery pack for my 201 broke some years ago, I went to see about getting it fixed and was informed that both the 201 and 101 were illegal.[/quote]
... by someone who was keen to sell you a new wireless unit and wouldn't mind lying to do so?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10362"]Thread on wireless licensing issues[/url]

[quote name='tauzero' post='637890' date='Oct 27 2009, 02:46 PM']... by someone who was keen to sell you a new wireless unit and wouldn't mind lying to do so?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10362"]Thread on wireless licensing issues[/url][/quote]
Hmmm, looks that way. Still, I ended up buying a replacement unit elsewhere anyway.
Thanks for the link to the 'Licensing' thread.