Why become a member? ×

What's your greatest moment in music?

Golchen

For me it's gotta be playing on every track of Texas based band The Secret Handshake's new record!! I've been a fan for ages so being asked to do it and getting paid for it is just awesome!! That along with the fact that there's thousands of people out there in the world enjoying that CD, millions of plays on myspace and knowing that even roger sadowsky took the time to check my tracks out (he loved it) really makes me proud of it! :)

Standing at the side of the stage at the Albert Hall watching David Gilmour soundcheck. Stood next to me were Nick Mason, Graham Nash, David Crosby & Nils Lofgren.

Earlier on that afternoon Rick Wright went up & played the last part of "A Saucerful of Secrets" on the Albert Hall organ - that was f***ing awesome.

The Jazz Café February 2008. Second gig with the new line-up, after an uneven gig at The Water Rats a couple of weeks earlier. The place was packed and the applause was totally different to any previous gig. The audience and promoters wouldn't let us off the stage until after TWO encores.

The funniest part was during a jam section on one of the last tunes. The keyboard player introduced every member of the band. After he introduced me he added "he's our leader" in a really cheesy way that cracked me up and got a great response from the crowd.

It was a very satisfying feeling.

Singing with my old choir in the official opening concert for the Sage Gateshead. I hadn't really heard much about what was going to happen in terms of running order. I thought it was just: sing a few pieces, listen to the orchestra, some carols (it was Christmas) and naff off. Concert starts. Audience of 1700, Northern Sinfonia playing, all good... then Martin Carthy walks onstage for a few numbers. f*** me! Then Eliza Carthy shambles on, they do a few more... then Norma Waterson comes on with the rest of the band. And I'm onstage with Waterson:Carthy. Yikes. Awesome. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='616374' date='Oct 4 2009, 11:44 AM']The first time I got to play Newcastle City Hall. Another 'WTF?' moment... and the novelty still doesn't wear off when I play there.[/quote]
Agreed, it's an awesome place to perform (once accidentally drank the Mayor's rider there), but don't try singing a cappella there. There's no reverb. You can't hear what the people on the other side of the stage are singing. Same with the Newcastle Opera House or whatever it's called these days.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='616761' date='Oct 4 2009, 07:43 PM']Mint!

Who with?[/quote]

A prog-rock trio I was in aged 21 (as drummer) called "Hard, fast and greasy"

Here's the link to the page on the Marmalade skies website that listed the gig.

[url="http://www.marmalade-skies.co.uk/sept1971.htm"]http://www.marmalade-skies.co.uk/sept1971.htm[/url]

And I think I must have taken too many strange things as I think I put 1973 in the first post. It was 71.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='616907' date='Oct 4 2009, 09:52 PM']Agreed, it's an awesome place to perform (once accidentally drank the Mayor's rider there), but don't try singing a cappella there. There's no reverb. You can't hear what the people on the other side of the stage are singing. Same with the Newcastle Opera House or whatever it's called these days.[/quote]
Exactly! That's what makes those halls great for rock and roll, and why Sage 1 is terrible for rock and roll. :)

[quote name='leschirons' post='617240' date='Oct 5 2009, 11:43 AM']A prog-rock trio I was in aged 21 (as drummer) called "Hard, fast and greasy"

Here's the link to the page on the Marmalade skies website that listed the gig.

[url="http://www.marmalade-skies.co.uk/sept1971.htm"]http://www.marmalade-skies.co.uk/sept1971.htm[/url]

And I think I must have taken too many strange things as I think I put 1973 in the first post. It was 71.[/quote]

45p? marvellous!

There's been a few good moments. Playing at Michael Flatley's wedding was a good one. The Chieftains were also there so after our set I stayed in to see their set - I was stood in the middle of a room crammed with Irish people who kept appearing with flutes and fiddles and the odd Banjo until half of the people there were playing along...The rest of the band I was with were stood in the next room at the bar, but I wouldn't join them because I didn't want to miss out on the music!

Another good one was leaving school after my A-levels (instead of going to study music at uni) and recording on a top ten album, which is how I got the decent gigs. It wasn't paid, and it was just a couple of little extra guitar tracks, but it got my foot in the door so it paid off in the long run!

The most recent one for me was playing in Dubai twice! The first time was a small agency do, but well paid and a great experience, and the second time was a gig at the Emirates Palace Hotel in Abu Dhabi...it was well fancy!...we even found a bloke raking the beach to keep it smooth looking!...so we walked across it! :)

A few that spring to mind are,

Playing Brixton Academy.
Releasing singles/album and seeing it on the racks in all the high street shops.
Playing two John Peel Sessions.
Playing at a massive festival in Belfort, France as dusk and mid way through the set seeing the stage lights come on.
One of our singles being John Peels favourite song of 1997.
One of our songs used in the Casio G-Shock watch advert.

One of my dreams was to play Top Of The Pops as it was the main music show in my day. Shame I never got to do it.

Thanks for the Zadok reminder "mrcrow".
Singing bass in the school concert. Full orchestra & big choir in the Great Hall (posh school in central London). Awesome piece of music and two choked parents in row 14.

School founders thanksgiving service in St. Pauls Cathedral. In the choir stalls with the school choir. Wow, I'm here moment. Gentle thunder and echo from the organ. However hard you try, your voice just dissipates out into the ether. Ooo, the chills.

April '69. A small pub on the north circular road called "The Cooks Ferry Inn". In a hall only 20 yards long, me and 15 others listening to the original Mott the Hoople. A different kind of thunder. Hooked for life.

Balcro.

Playing the Budokan in 81/82 for a record company trial and being too pissed to remember any of it, apart from getting on and off the plane....
Earning a shed load of money for a film soundtrack that never got released, and getting ripped off by my partner.....
Playing the Farmyard Party in '96 and headlining instead of the Levellers.
Smacking the drummer in the mouth and getting sacked, just before the band got signed and dropped in the same week!!!

Ups and downs... :)

Mine's not as fancy as most of you dudes..... The greatest moment for me was playing a really small venue (Mr Wolfs in Bristol) to about 150 people. The crowd were right up for it and the band (the Pete Trill Blues Band) played for hours. A small, hot, sweaty gig....fantastic!

[quote name='Zombywoof' post='617485' date='Oct 5 2009, 02:46 PM']Mine's not as fancy as most of you dudes..... The greatest moment for me was playing a really small venue (Mr Wolfs in Bristol) to about 150 people. The crowd were right up for it and the band (the Pete Trill Blues Band) played for hours. A small, hot, sweaty gig....fantastic![/quote]

I love the really hot sweaty gigs where the sweat is pouring off you into your eyes and you can hardly see but you just don't care. You have so much energy and you never wan't it to stop. They are the best gigs ever.

[quote name='Balcro' post='617433' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:03 PM']Thanks for the Zadok reminder "mrcrow".
Singing bass in the school concert. Full orchestra & big choir in the Great Hall (posh school in central London). Awesome piece of music and two choked parents in row 14.

School founders thanksgiving service in St. Pauls Cathedral. In the choir stalls with the school choir. Wow, I'm here moment. Gentle thunder and echo from the organ. However hard you try, your voice just dissipates out into the ether. Ooo, the chills.

April '69. A small pub on the north circular road called "The Cooks Ferry Inn". In a hall only 20 yards long, me and 15 others listening to the original Mott the Hoople. A different kind of thunder. Hooked for life.

Balcro.[/quote]

The Cook's Ferry in. Great venue. Used to go every week, and saw Mott there. Nice memory.

• 5 weeks later...

Supporting Kool and the Gang at the Hammersmith Apollo.

Session in 1981 for Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show again at Maida Vale.

National Lottery Live in 1994

Gigs with Stan Sultzman and Iain Ballamy (I was playing with his Dad quite regularly at the time)

Outdoor gig in Berkshire supporting an Orchestra and fireworks. 4,000 people - I don't kid myself that they were there for us but at least they stayed !!

The day when guitarist John Paricelli told a friend (who he didn't know knew me) 'He plays so good but still has a life (he had heard I wasn't a pro)'. Let me know I was doing ok.

First professional CD release: 3 tracks on Andy Fernbach's 'Blues In a Hotel Room'

But, most of all, those little gigs where everything goes right, the music is as good as it can be and I played like a musician!

Playing a New Years Eve gig with my old covers band. Our final number is Stairway to Heaven (yeah, I know).
There's a long bass-free intro so I sling the bass on my back, go and grab my GF (now ex) who's been dancing the whole night in this sweaty, heaving place. We slow-dance the intro and I jump back up on stage to come in with my part after giving her a great big smoochy kiss.
To the people in the crowd who didn't know we're a couple it looks like the bass player just wandered up to the best-looking girl in the place*, grabbed her for a dance, kissed her to within an inch of her life and then casually went back to rocking. I got an ovation and envious looks from every bloke there :) Awesome set too.

* No exaggeration. She's gorgeous.

These are just a few....
Every time I saw Eric Clapton and Peter Green.
My first gig as a professional bass player.
My first appearance at the Reading Festival.
The week we played at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go on Sunset Strip, opening for Al Kooper.
Last Saturday playing with Graham Lyle.

[quote name='Linus27' post='617489' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:49 PM']I love the really hot sweaty gigs where the sweat is pouring off you into your eyes and you can hardly see but you just don't care. You have so much energy and you never wan't it to stop. They are the best gigs ever.[/quote]

That's what it's all about!!

Z list performers I have supported/ played with/ refused/ been on holiday with.

Magnum, Pato Banton, Belinda Carlisle, Showadywady, Neds Atomic Dustbin, The Wonderstuff, The Wildhearts, Phil Jupitus and The Blockheads, PowerBelly, Dennis from Musical Youth, Spocks Beard and Alan Towers. I think.

for me it would be

1)my first gig when i was 14, i'd only been playing for 3 weeks before and had to learn 26 songs! (badly i might add, but i had a blast!)
2)the first time one of my old bands got radio 1 play (though i missed most of it trying to find a cassette to record it!)
3)playing 02 wireless on the saturday night 2007 then going and watching Daft Punk soon after.
4).........

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='644846' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:21 PM']Z list performers I have supported/ played with/ refused/ been on holiday with.

Magnum, Pato Banton, Belinda Carlisle, Showadywady, Neds Atomic Dustbin, The Wonderstuff, The Wildhearts, Phil Jupitus and The Blockheads, PowerBelly, Dennis from Musical Youth, Spocks Beard and Alan Towers. I think.[/quote]

I loved the Wildhearts!