Why become a member? ×

Dirty Harry/Magnum force/Enforcer

YouMa

Been watching a lot of these movies lately,clint is the dogs,i have often wondered who lalo schfrin used band wise for his funky soundtracks in these movies.The enforcer sounds especially good,a reaaly cool jazzy funky soundtrack.I just got the original rollerball soundtrack by Andre previn and this is in the same league.Long live obscure session musicians of the 70s.

[quote name='YouMa' post='611429' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:09 PM']....Been watching a lot of these movies lately,clint is the dogs,i have often wondered who lalo schfrin used band wise for his funky soundtracks in these movies....[/quote]
I would make a guess that the musicians used were from the LA A list and would have included Earl Palmer on drums and Carol Kaye on Bass.

[quote name='chris_b' post='611460' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:31 PM']I would make a guess that the musicians used were from the LA A list and would have included Earl Palmer on drums and Carol Kaye on Bass.[/quote]

I thought about carol kaye,she needs more appreciation,all that kaye/jamerson bullshit annoys me they were both awesome and am i right in thinking she did a lot more,james was perfection but i think she was to.

• Like 1

The A list LA session musicians were called the Wrecking Crew. You can google them but they included:
[list]
[*]Guitar: Glen Campbell, Barney Kessel, Tommy Tedesco, Al Casey, Carol Kaye, Billy Strange, Don Peake, Howard Roberts, James Burton, Jerry Cole, Mike Deasy
[*]Saxophone: Steve Douglas, Jay Migliori, Jim Horn, Plas Johnson, Nino Tempo, Gene Cipriano
[*]Trumpet: Roy Caton (contractor), Tony Terran, Ollie Mitchell
[*]Trombone: Lou Blackburn, Dick Hyde
[*]Keyboards: Leon Russell, Mac Rebennack (aka Dr. John), Mike Melvoin, Don Randi, Larry Knechtel, Al Delory, Mike Rubini
[*]Bass: Carol Kaye, Joe Osborn, Max Bennett, Chuck Berghofer, Ray Pohlman, Larry Knechtel, Lyle Ritz, Jimmy Bond (007)
[*]Drums: Hal Blaine, Earl Palmer, Jim Gordon
[*]Percussion: Julius Wechter, Gary Coleman , Frank Capp (contractor)
[*]Conductor/arranger: Jack Nitzsche
[*]Harmonica: Tommy Morgan
[/list]

• Like 2

[quote name='chris_b' post='611530' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:44 AM']The A list LA session musicians were called the Wrecking Crew. You can google them but they included:
[list]
[*]Guitar: Glen Campbell, Barney Kessel, Tommy Tedesco, Al Casey, Carol Kaye, Billy Strange, Don Peake, Howard Roberts, James Burton, Jerry Cole, Mike Deasy
[*]Saxophone: Steve Douglas, Jay Migliori, Jim Horn, Plas Johnson, Nino Tempo, Gene Cipriano
[*]Keyboards: Leon Russell, Mac Rebennack (aka Dr. John), Mike Melvoin, Don Randi, Larry Knechtel, Al Delory, Mike Rubini
[*]Bass: Carol Kaye, Joe Osborn, Max Bennett, Chuck Berghofer, Ray Pohlman, Larry Knechtel, Lyle Ritz, Jimmy Bond (007)
[/list][/quote]

Nice one man,didnt Jack Nitzsche do the music for performance with mick jagger in it.

I've got a few of these types of soundtracks and they are awesome, especially the main theme from Dirty Harry. Unfortunately a lot of them state that the musicians and recording locations are unknown, except for the occasional player.

The remastered liner notes, for the Dirty Harry collection feature an interview with Lalo Schifrin where he states that he recalls using Carol Kaye on electric bass and Ray Brown on double bass, with them sometimes playing together on the same tracks.

• Like 1

[quote name='YouMa' post='611429' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:09 PM']I just got the original rollerball soundtrack by Andre previn and this is in the same league.[/quote]

'Executive Dance Party' off this is brilliant, pure Dr. Dre West Coast groove, ahead of its time. Film's decent too!

The site www.vinylvulture.co.uk used to be superb for crate-digging gems, shame it disappeared, I fondly recall pages dedicated to Geoff Love LPs and a whole guide on the funkiest recordings of Jesus Christ Superstar. :)

Edited by Weird War

I absolutely adore the music in "dirty harry" and no idea who played it, but id imagine you,d be on the money with carol kaye, with that lovely p bass with a pick thing, didnt the meters do a lot of that type of stuff as well? they are well worth a listen"""

Not from the original film, but obviously inspired by the original soundtracks I would recommend The James Taylor Quartet. They're playing lots of gigs usually to <2000 people. I saw them at The Jazz Cafe and Milfield Theatre a couple of years ago.

Here's their "Theme From Dirty Harry"

also check out their "Starsky and Hutch Theme"

Several good albums - In The Hand of the Inevitable, is a good one, containing an incredible version of Whole Lotta Love - Led Zep

Edited by TimR

In The Hand of the Inevitable is a great album i love journey,the instumental.I didnt like there version of starsky and hutch/sneakin in the back,it was to hammondy,the original one by tom scott is much better,although i have not been able to find the exact same version as the one off the tv show,this is the same with the taxi theme/angela which bob james did,i just cant find the version used on the show which has a much more rhodesy feel about it and is a lot better

[quote name='chris_b' post='611530' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:44 AM']The A list LA session musicians were called the Wrecking Crew. You can google them but they included:
[list]
[/list][/quote]

More info here [url="http://www.lastudiomusicians.net/"]LA Studio Musicians[/url]

Good call - love the 'Dirty Harry' soundtrack, on my iPod constantly. Film's pretty good too, particularly Scorpio's character. :rolleyes:
I thought Chuck Rainey played the bass on this, but also seem to recall someone telling me it was Paul Jackson(?) :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='616066' date='Oct 3 2009, 09:18 PM']Andrew Mckinney is a member of Basschat and in JTQ's band. If you need any tips on playing the lines, I'm sure he'd be very approachable.[/quote]

Superb! This thread has just got me checking the Decmber dates at jazz Cafe. In all probablility I will be there. Maybe I will shake his hand and steal some funkiness :) I stole some of James' funkiness at Milfield, and now my bass lines all sound like I'm playing a hammond organ.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='YouMa' post='616071' date='Oct 3 2009, 09:25 PM']In The Hand of the Inevitable is a great album i love journey,the instumental.I didnt like there version of starsky and hutch/sneakin in the back,it was to hammondy,the original one by tom scott is much better,although i have not been able to find the exact same version as the one off the tv show,this is the same with the taxi theme/angela which bob james did,i just cant find the version used on the show which has a much more rhodesy feel about it and is a lot better[/quote]

Yeah I can't find the exact Starsky & Hutch theme either..I use it as my ringtone but it has all the sound effects from the opening titles and the tom scott version doesn't sound the same.

• 12 years later...

This thread unearthed itself when I was searching for 'The Wrecking Crew'.

The link below is a 'Wrecking Crew' Facebook page if anyone is interested.

Quite often, if you click on 'show more' in the post, it will sometimes list any session musicians involved.

Plenty of good info as well. I'm not really sure who runs the page, other than his name is Denny...

The Wrecking Crew | Facebook

17 minutes ago, lowdown said:

This thread unearthed itself when I was searching for 'The Wrecking Crew'.

The link below is a 'Wrecking Crew' Facebook page if anyone is interested.

Quite often, if you click on 'show more' in the post, it will sometimes list any session musicians involved.

Plenty of good info as well. I'm not really sure who runs the page, other than his name is Denny...

The Wrecking Crew | Facebook

If you do a search for Lalo Schifrin, a whole load of info appears about the players he used on his sessions.

There is so much information on the page that goes back a fair while, I found it easier to do a filter name search for the various players, conductors, composers etc:

Lalo Schifrin

Went to see Lalo Schifrin gig and it was incredible. Half were his iconic soundtracks and the other half his jazz stuff, mixed with some Latin stuff (as you’d expect!).

I think Bullit and the Dirty Harry soundtracks are the best. My brother is a record dealer and he’s done a huge amount of stuff, much of which was ephemeral and hard to find.

So much of the soundtrack stuff was incredible, very musically sophisticated and experimental.

On 25/07/2022 at 08:46, Doctor J said:

I know what you're thinking... was this thread bumped after 12 years or was it 13?

On 25/07/2022 at 09:27, lowdown said:

Well, Punks?

On 25/07/2022 at 13:21, Marky L said:

Uhmmm.. five? 

Hey! I gots to know!

• Like 1