Why become a member? ×

New Retro Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray

Musicman20

[quote name='budget bassist' post='608114' date='Sep 24 2009, 08:33 PM']it's not REALLY that big a gap....[/quote]

no it is. especially when the bass will cost over £1k. would you be happy if you could fit a 1mm plectrum inbetween the body and neck of your bass?

Or is it just a matter of loosen the neck screws, tap the neck to close the gap and tighten screws again. Just like my 1970s precision which was badly setup from new. Without seeing the other side of the neck to see the fit we won't know. If they are letting basses out with poor setup its a shame.

[quote name='nash' post='608218' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:10 PM']no it is. especially when the bass will cost over £1k. would you be happy if you could fit a 1mm plectrum inbetween the body and neck of your bass?[/quote]

That must be where they used to keep their plectrums in the old days :brow:

[quote name='nash' post='608218' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:10 PM']no it is. especially when the bass will cost over £1k. would you be happy if you could fit a 1mm plectrum inbetween the body and neck of your bass?[/quote]
It wouldn't really bother me that much in all honesty... playability and sound are more important to me :) though as someone said, it's probably because it's a proto model, i've never seen another musicman with a gap like that.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='610498' date='Sep 28 2009, 12:51 AM']Neither have i, and i've sold hundreds. That is purely a proto muck up on the foam green. I've seen sunburst and natural photos and no gaps are evident.
It wouldn't really bother me that much in all honesty... playability and sound are more important to me :) though as someone said, it's probably because it's a proto model, i've never seen another musicman with a gap like that.[/quote]

[quote name='nash' post='610586' date='Sep 28 2009, 09:18 AM']i hope they'll be built as well as the ray i once had. slab body as well. sweet[/quote]
Not a fan of the slab body, really hurt my wrist/chest when i played my SUB bass sat down, i can understand why they stopped doing that. Two steps forward one step back and all that...

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='bh2' post='611319' date='Sep 28 2009, 09:51 PM']Blimey... what a softy... I love the slabs![/quote]
Hah, i don't like the chunky necks either, call me a wimp but i love my warwick :)

That said, i'd love to have a proper go on a sterling, i reckon i'd get on with one of them.

Edited by budget bassist

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='budget bassist' post='607220' date='Sep 23 2009, 09:58 PM']Oh come on, that forum is nothing but yes-men that praise his every idea. Don't get me wrong, i love EBMM basses but it does get a bit sickening on there reading comment after comment kissing his arse. He's a good businessman, i'll give him that, but i'd be lying if thought that those vintage-styled basses weren't his idea.[/quote]
+1

So true...

On a lighter note however, these look cool. Don't really see the point though :).

I've only ever played a Musicman once, and although I thought it was quite comfortable to play, and sounded decent (though it was through a monstrous Mesa Boogie) - I just couldn't justify paying £1300 for it.

I know Musicman basses are meant to be the Holy Grail of non-custom made guitars, but for one they're hideous, and for two, they seem massively overpriced for what they are.

Ready to be shot down by the masses, but I just never "got" their appeal.

Wow Stick a tort scratchplate on the seafoam green PHWOOOAAARR! im sure the build quality will be fine when these come out, my old sterling was amazing, but my next MM will be one of these (still wanting louis,s sound) a matching headstock would be cool too!! - lee