Why become a member? ×

Sex on Fire

Doddy

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='601015' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:01 AM']I think the reason for the intro being difficult is there is a sort of extra half beat when the drums come in. Some sort of time signature screw up. :) The whole band can play it seperatley (to the song) but doing it together almost never went right, so we adapted it a bit.[/quote]

Yep - our drummer (who is usually first rate) struggled with that. We simply start with the guitar and drums together which seems to solve the problem.

Why do we play it? - Because we kept getting asked to do it and it goes down really well. Personally, I can't say I'm a fan of the song, but I've played worse!

We're just starting out as a covers band so we're trying to see as many of our "competetors" to see what we're up against and [i]everyone[/i] plays it (with varying degrees of skill and success!) but the crowds always love it - KoL are definately the band of the moment for 25-40 yr olds.

In my opinion the 1st and 2nd albums were great, then they found a formula and released the same song 28 times over.

We wont be playing it, we're trying to cover songs that most dont, trying to be an alternative option - we might get less work, but sod it, at least we'll enjoy the songs we play.

[quote name='ben604' post='601078' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:53 AM']We wont be playing it, we're trying to cover songs that most dont, trying to be an alternative option - we might get less work, but sod it, at least we'll enjoy the songs we play.[/quote]

An admirable stance and not without merit. You may find it hard to compete for the audience, though, if they obviously like the other stuff..
If you find it hard to get an audience or have the one you have jumpin' around you can always add the odd popular tune at a later date....

I'm in a kings of leon tribute band.......as the lead guitarist! (bass job was taken) so you get an idea of how hard the lead is, even a bassist can do it! i wasnt much of a fan before joing the band, but i do like most of the tunes we play. to be a KOL tribute and NOT play SOF is criminal....our drummer has trouble with the intro too, its that pesky offbeat.

[quote name='The_D' post='601020' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:08 AM']Its like Blondi: One Way or Another or The feckin Killers one we do Mr Brightside. I keep askin to drop it and without fail it goes down a storm with people jumping on chairs and swinging pints about.

Our guitarist just looks at me and shrugs when we play it cause deep down I know we cant drop it :)[/quote]
That's why I could never play in a covers band. I could never play something I really don't like just because a bunch of gurning pissheads like to jump around to it. I'd rather play music I enjoy to an empty room.

[quote name='RhysP' post='601112' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:44 AM']That's why I could never play in a covers band. I could never play something I really don't like just because a bunch of gurning pissheads like to jump around to it. I'd rather play music I enjoy to an empty room.[/quote]

Different strokes.....

[quote name='OldGit' post='601037' date='Sep 17 2009, 08:38 AM']Why do popular tunes always get slagged off?[/quote]

Probably because they get played so f*cking often on the radio, TV, tv adverts, idiots in the pub etc etc. It gets annoying hearing the same thing over and over, especially if it's a "catchy" tune.

Personally, I heard it the first time and thought "that's another catchy tune form them, nice one". Now I can't stand it.

[quote name='Killstarz' post='601053' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:12 AM']Kings of Leon stopped being good when they cut their hair. Fact.[/quote]

Every band in the world were amazing for their first 1 or 2 albums and then "sold out" or "turned commercial" or just basically got too trendy for people who consider themselves "alternative".

It's all down to musical taste. I just a had a listen to the track in question and don't find it particularly catchy or memorable and KoL come across as just another anonymous band with scruffy hair and beards. I don't get the attraction of "I Predict A Riot" (apparently another crowd pleaser) either. "Mr Brightside" OTOH I totally get.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='601128' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:55 AM']Every band in the world were amazing for their first 1 or 2 albums and then "sold out" or "turned commercial" or just basically got too trendy for people who consider themselves "alternative".[/quote]

Every single one????

How about Pear Jam? And so many other bands that carry on coming out with good albums without being sell outs.

We do play Mr Brightside as well and for me is the same as SOF, Use Somebody, Dakota, I Predict a Riot, All these things I've done. They are all rock crowd pleasers. No more no less. That does not mean they are bad songs, they may be annoying because you hear them so many times, but they are not bad songs at all.

As a band you want to be heard by as many people as you can, that sometimes leads to your music being played countless times which for KOL is not a bad thing. I rememeber when Origin of Symetry came out my mates where showing it to me and saying that it was tottaly alternative and we never heard it on the radio. Nowadays every single radio plays Muse. Does that make them a worse band or a sucessful one?

[quote name='Wil' post='601149' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:13 AM']I think that was the point Cheddatom was making anyway.[/quote]

Ups I jumped on him too quickly. :)

But why would you sudenly stop enjoying a band just because they are sucessful now? I would be pleased for a band that i like to stop playing at the secondary stages of a festival to become a headliner.

[quote name='Hutton' post='601051' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:03 AM']Well slap my arse. We have a virtuoso in our prescence. I bow before your omniscience oh great one! :)[/quote]

That was rather unnecessary,don't you think?

....but keep bowing :rolleyes:

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='OldGit' post='601115' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:46 AM']Different strokes.....[/quote]
Oh totally, and please don't think I'm being snobby about the whole covers band thing.

The reason I replied to that particular post was that the poster was obviously unhappy about playing the songs, and there seem to be quite a few people on the forum who play in covers bands but really don't sound like they enjoy it.

The reason I don't play in a covers band is not for reasons of "artistic integrity" or any other such pretentious crap, it's because the material I'd have to play is, for the most part, stuff I just don't like.

I can see why they'd have to do it if it's their main source of income but if you're doing it "for fun" and you don't like the material then why do it?

Anyway, I'm derailing the thread here so I'll let everyone get back to it.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='davidmpires' post='601155' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:16 AM']I would be pleased for a band that i like to stop playing at the secondary stages of a festival to become a headliner.[/quote]

Hmmm, not sure about this. The bigger the stage they play, the further away you're likely to be. To take an extreme example, last year I went to 2 gigs; one was a three piece folk band in a small basement, with the musicians just five or six feet away from us, the other was the Rolling Stones at the O2. Both bands put on a great show, but the basement gig was far more involving.

[quote name='RhysP' post='601166' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:27 AM']Oh totally, and please don't think I'm being snobby about the whole covers band thing.

The reason I replied to that particular post was that the poster was obviously unhappy about playing the songs, and there seem to be quite a few people on the forum who play in covers bands but really don't sound like they enjoy it.

The reason I don't play in a covers band is not for reasons of "artistic integrity" or any other such pretentious crap, it's because the material I'd have to play is, for the most part, stuff I just don't like.

I can see why they'd have to do it if it's their main source of income but if you're doing it "for fun" and you don't like the material then why do it?

Anyway, I'm derailing the thread here so I'll let everyone get back to it.[/quote]

More of a branch line than a derail :)

Your enjoyment comes from playing. Mine, and many others, from playing things that get a good crowd and then get that crowd going.
Original stuff can do that with the right amount of show, marketing and stuff. After all KoL, Muse, The Stones, U2 all play original material ... But it's a lot easier for us norms to do it with covers.

I can play alone or just with my band in rehearsal but when I play a show I want a jumpin' audience and all the niceness that brings. That requires a degree of compromise over tunes choices and I'm prepared to do that.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Earbrass' post='601175' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:32 AM']Hmmm, not sure about this. The bigger the stage they play, the further away you're likely to be. To take an extreme example, last year I went to 2 gigs; one was a three piece folk band in a small basement, with the musicians just five or six feet away from us, the other was the Rolling Stones at the O2. Both bands put on a great show, but the basement gig was far more involving.[/quote]

I can definitely see your point. I watched Iron Maiden at the Twickenham Stadium and they were a small dot across the stadium where Steve Lawson/Yolanda Charles/Todd Johnson were all playing two meters from me and I got to chat with Todd for a bit at Drabucka bar. But I would also be happy for them to be big enough to play at the O2 but then they would stop doing those intimate gigs and i'd be gutted. It's a no win situation really. :)

[quote name='davidmpires' post='601064' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:34 AM']Our drummer took some time to nail it,[/quote]

[quote name='simon1964' post='601072' date='Sep 17 2009, 09:45 AM']Yep - our drummer (who is usually first rate) struggled with that.[/quote]

[quote name='Bassmingo' post='601096' date='Sep 17 2009, 10:23 AM']...our drummer has trouble with the intro too, its that pesky offbeat.[/quote]

Glad thats settled. It's the bloody drummer, isn't it ?

[quote name='davidmpires' post='601144' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:08 AM']Every single one???? ......Nowadays every single radio plays Muse. Does that make them a worse band or a sucessful one?[/quote]

Sorry, yeh, I was being sarcastic. There are lots of people who like to feel like a band belongs to them, or to a particular scene (usually determined by them all dressing the same) etc. and then turning on the band like they're the devil as soon as they get some major radio play.

Having said that it may be common for bands to be more prolific and energetic and unusual in their early writing, for obvious reasons.

[quote name='OldGit' post='601178' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:39 AM']I can play alone or just with my band in rehearsal but when I play a show I want a jumpin' audience and all the niceness that brings. That requires a degree of compromise over tunes choices and I'm prepared to do that.[/quote]
I agree entirely. I hate playing Love Shack and Mustang buh-leeding Sally, but the punters absolutely love them, so I'll do it -- there's enough stuff I like in the set to compensate.
This thread is starting to morph into a cross between 2 old favourites... the age old anti/pro-covers band saga, and the "everything I like is great and everything else is sh!t" chestnut... :)

[quote name='Rich' post='601248' date='Sep 17 2009, 12:56 PM']This thread is starting to morph into a cross between 2 old favourites... the age old anti/pro-covers band saga, and the "everything I like is great and everything else is sh!t" chestnut... :)[/quote]
I don't think anything "Anti-covers" has been said; I was merely commenting on an observation I've made on the forum where a percentage of people playing in covers bands don't seem to enjoy playing a lot of the material they do.
To me that seems strange, but if some people enjoy the interaction and reaction of an audience enough to compensate for playing songs they may not like then fair enough. Getting a great reaction from a crowd is one of the best feelings I've ever experienced.