Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some strings...

Musicman20

Hey

Ive been a Rotosound Swing Bass 66 Stainless user for years. I fancy something different now.

I would like to try something a little more expensive in the stainless/nickel roundwound territory. I do not like high tension strings, so that has to be taken into account. They would be used on either my USA Fenders or Stingrays. I do not want to fiddle with the setup/truss rod. Im thinking maybe DR Highbeams? Any other ideas?

I would also like to try some flats, and after reading some posts, it seems the TI flats are very popular and are not too tense.

Suggestions?

I want to set myself up with everything I want before I move to London and become very poor, (temporarily I hope).

Thanks as always!

For flats I'd def recomend La Bella FL's, I have a set of TI's which I bring out every now and then but generally too floppy for my taste, lovely rich woody tone though. The La Bella's would suit your punky pick playing and also sound boodiful and Jamersonesque when you play wth your fingers, they have a nice tension IMHO

Elixirs for your ray 10000000%
gimme your address and ill post you some half used ones. I need to pop to the shop for some beer anyways and the postoffice is across the road.

Got a elixir B if you need it too.

got some used twice DR hot pinks id flog for £15 inc postage. might be a little short tho.

Edited by Jobiebass

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='600267' date='Sep 16 2009, 02:48 PM']Elixirs for your ray 10000000%
gimme your address and ill post you some half used ones. I need to pop to the shop for some beer anyways and the postoffice is across the road.

Got a elixir B if you need it too.[/quote]

My favourite sounding string. Ive got them on my Fender P5 and got a set for my DJ5 last week.

[quote name='51m0n' post='598006' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:48 AM']I'd recommend DR Low Riders, they arent very high tension at all, even though HI-Beams are even lower tension, put they have a fantastic tone- loads of lovely mid grind that I think would really suit you sir![/quote]

+100

I have Lo Riders on the Kinal, and they sing and growl like the Boothen End at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday afternoon. Brilliant strings.

Warwick Black Labels are great too, but more abrasive on the fingers.

i wish i could recommend DR low riders, but mine last about a week before i snapped the E (!) and D strings. Probably had a dodgy set, but its put me off getting them again.

Been looking at these, any opinions? [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomastik_jn344.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomastik_jn344.htm[/url] or [url="http://www.hwmusic.co.uk/product/thomastik_87827.aspx"]http://www.hwmusic.co.uk/product/thomastik_87827.aspx[/url]

Edited by Kev

• 1 month later...

Ive sold some new Roto sets I had as im now leaving the band I used that lighter gauge with. Plus, I fancied a change.

I have TI flats on one of my Ps, which is great. Sounds and feels awesome. I like the low tension.

What about a Stingray? Any tried EB flats or should I stick to TIs?

100 Gauge for the E string max.

In addition, im going to restring a bass with DR Stainless Steels, and Im thinking either Hi Beam or Fat Beam....only £2 difference, anyone care to comment?

Cheers