Why become a member? ×

Advice: Buying an amp from thomann.de

Uncle Balsamic

Word of warning, my experience with Thomann was GREAT until something went wrong. At that point, I cannot begin to tell you the amount of grief it was.

If it's a cab? Who cares, you're unlikely to have that much of an issue. If it's an amp I would think VERY carefully before buying from there....

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='589355' date='Sep 4 2009, 08:15 AM']I suppose you have to consider the 'potential' hassle offset against the saving. Just out of interest how much are you saving over the cost of buying from The Bass Merchant/The Gallery/GAK?[/quote]

With so much love here on Basschat for The Gallery, I hesitate to post anything critical about them ... but (some of) their prices make it VERY easy to buy elsewhere.

They still list the discontinued Eden WTX260 at £599. I can buy the current Eden WTX500 from Thomann for £634 with free delivery.

To put that in context, I've just bought a new WTX500 from a dealer in Minnesota for US$500 (= c.£300). Now all I have to do is get it back to London ...

Edit: Forgot to answer the OP's question. I've bought loads of stuff through Thomann, including an amplifier. I've never had a problem yet, they're very efficient and easy to deal with.

Edited by Happy Jack

It's always worth getting in touch with The Bass Merchant too - Darren is good people and his prices are often excellent :)

I too have bought SOME stuff from Thomann before - as long as your goods work ok and the transaction goes okay then you're fine, but believe me, in my experience it's a world of pain when they don't!

[quote name='Moos3h' post='589351' date='Sep 4 2009, 08:08 AM']Word of warning, my experience with Thomann was GREAT until something went wrong. At that point, I cannot begin to tell you the amount of grief it was.

If it's a cab? Who cares, you're unlikely to have that much of an issue. If it's an amp I would think VERY carefully before buying from there....[/quote]

I'd have to say the polar opposite here.

The best after sales service I've ever experienced by far. Am I the only one?

I returned my Yamaha BBT Amp when it was more than a year old. Excellent communication, pickup and delivery. I've had a few things break, mainly minor PSU type stuff and the story has always been the same - German efficiency, communication and politeness.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather buy locally with folk like the BM or Bass Direct but there was a time/exchange rate when Thomann were a no brainer.

Edited by GreeneKing

I had a fairly painful experience when I last bought from them as the items were lost in transit. Took quite a while to get it sorted out and ended up being debited twice and then losing money on the refund due to the exchange rates. Is the saving sufficient to justify the less personal service you'll get compared to one of the smaller UK dealers? Go to them with the Thomann price and see if they can get close enough for you.

Alex

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='589384' date='Sep 4 2009, 08:55 AM']Don't get me wrong I'd rather buy locally with folk like the BM or Bass Direct but there was a time/exchange rate when Thomann were a no brainer.[/quote]

+1. I bought a load of gear from them 3-4 years ago. When I was struggling to pay the bills I couldn't justify paying twice as much to local/UK shops just 'cos it's the nice thing to do. I bought my amp from another European merchant over the internet about 6 years ago for the same reasons with no problems at all.

I've used Thomann and had no problems...did exactly what the said they would and I saved enough for it to be worthwhile and an option in the future...but my main reason was getting what I wanted asap...and if I had that deal to do again I would have gone for a UK price, all things considered, as the money I saved against the invarable time delay from shipping abroad would be the arbiter...
UK =quicker and slightly more expensive in this case... so you make that choice..

I wouldn't take most people's prices posted online as the best they can do...for a variety of reasons- updating website probably being the main one.. so I would shop around and see who had what in at what price..

I'd expect quite a saving and also now the $ has been active you might get exchange rate breaks of U.S gear..

It is all down to timing...and buyer is king atm... IMV

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='589537' date='Sep 4 2009, 11:49 AM']I think the only reason that prices have come down in the UK is down to Thomann when they started the website around 02/03 they where too cheap.Never had any problem with them and there after sales is great too.[/quote]

I think the exchange rate may have had an influence too :)

i.e. Thomann prices have shot up.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='589605' date='Sep 4 2009, 01:54 PM']I think the exchange rate may have had an influence too :)

i.e. Thomann prices have shot up.[/quote]

Agreed, although the pound's looking a bit stronger than it was a month or two ago so there might just be a better deal to be had in the UK now. I always haggled over prices of new gear - you're in a good position if you have the money in your pocket and are ready to spend. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Moos3h' post='589379' date='Sep 4 2009, 08:48 AM']It's always worth getting in touch with The Bass Merchant too - Darren is good people and his prices are often excellent :)

I too have bought SOME stuff from Thomann before - as long as your goods work ok and the transaction goes okay then you're fine, but believe me, in my experience it's a world of pain when they don't![/quote]

Agreed, Darren did me an ace price on the LM3...and I mean ace. I wont put it up. Needless to say he will sort you out, great shop as well.

Thomann have been fine to deal with in my experience. Very polite and efficient. One thing to watch is the 30 day return policy they have. On the one hand it's great if you want to take a gamble on something but on the other hand - where do you think the returned stuff goes? Not everybody will treat it right before returning it. I got a Fender preamp from Thomann and it had no manual, nothing. And all the polystyrene packing was in bits.

I guess you can't have it both ways. Most of my Thomann experinces have been positive.