Why become a member? ×

THIS is why I play bass

Hot Tub

It was 30 (ish) years ago. I was a teenager. John McCoy was (is) god. Simples. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMDHMuj2OmA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMDHMuj2OmA[/url]

This, ladies and gentlemen, is rock 'n' roll. This is music with emotion. This is music with guts.

Greenday? Coldplay? U2? Nickleback?

Oh, please.

THIS is music. Because it has FEELING*.

*Feeling:- Alien concept to anyone who listens to (or plays) jazz, or anything written after 1976,

:rolleyes:

Edited by Hot Tub

It's that old 'get back from the pub, slam on some old school rock'n'roll, go "Woaaaargh!", post a thread and wake up in the armchair with a mouth like a tramp slept in it' moment.

Been there :) FEELING! Rock AND Roll! Bah! GUITARS! Where's the Jack? Ow! F*ck it! ROCK and ROLL! Oooh! Snacky-woos! R-A-M-O-N-E-S!!!

Lighten up guys, I don't think he's in danger of [i]seriously[/i] upsetting anyone. Apart from Mrs Hot Tub when she has to get the peanuts out of the carpet tomorrow.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='589255' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:25 PM']It was 30 (ish) years ago. I was a teenager. John McCoy was (is) god. Simples. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMDHMuj2OmA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMDHMuj2OmA[/url]

This, ladies and gentlemen, is rock 'n' roll. This is music with emotion. This is music with guts.

Oh, please.

*Feeling:- Alien concept to anyone who listens to (or plays) jazz, or anything written after 1976,

:rolleyes:[/quote]

The band I was in circa '80/82, supported White Spirit at Hartlepool Town Hall. Janick on guitar. He left them, joined Gillan, we got support slot with Gillan at Middlesbrough town hall.
On the same stage as one of my gods, didnt get any better, even the likes of Marillion and John Miles paling.

Happy days.

Not a bad song I suppose bit a bit weak in places too imo.

Ferchrissake I'm 10 yrs older and all this [quote]*Feeling:- Alien concept to anyone who listens to (or plays) jazz, or anything written after 1976,[/quote] is utter nonsense :rolleyes:

You sound like our lead guitarist with the 1976 bit and he's a complete plonker :)

Wake up, stop living in the past (while continuing to celebrate it) and start embracing the now.

First proper rock gig I went to was Gillan in '81. Budgie were the support act. McCoy was a bit of a character,very solid bass player. I think he may have dabbled in jazz in his early days, I do recall he could play trumpet or something similar. Gillan were a very hard working band from 79 to 82. If this is too status quo try something like Fighting Man, the material was actually quite diverse.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='589255' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:25 PM']It was 30 (ish) years ago. I was a teenager. John McCoy was (is) god. Simples. :)

Oh, please.
*Feeling:- Alien concept to anyone who listens to (or plays) jazz, or anything written after 1976, :)[/quote]

Hi Hot Tub,

Yes indeed that is rock 'n roll. Music with guts. Positive emotion, out there. Not all that false posturing, body bending, pleading, droning and angst we've had since. With this sort of rock you drink as you go. The other stuff might have 3 times the nutrition, but it also drives you drink.

There's a lot of good jazz about, which is fine (Jazz is Jazz), but conveying emotion isn't it's strong suit. Technically brilliant, but most of it can't paint a musical picture.

Regards, Sergei.

Yick!

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='589371' date='Sep 4 2009, 08:42 AM']Oh f-ck. My head hurts. :blush:[/quote]

Didn't you know? Drinks on a weekday night contain twice as much alcohol as those served on weekends.

A small donation to the Bognor Regis Home For Distressed Jazz Folk should see you clear.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='589724' date='Sep 4 2009, 02:49 PM']Last I heard, gigging and recording with John McCoy while both of 'em endorsing Vintage-brand guitars / basses.[/quote]

Do you think that the guys in the Vintage ads really use them as their main gigging axe? Not knocking Vintage guitars by the way, just curious.

Overheard in dressing room before gig...

Bernie Torme: Will I play my 64 strat tonight? Nah! I `ll use this £250 Vintage!

Jez

John McCoy was a character indeed. Used to be in a bad called Mammoth who had their instruments made smaller to make them look bigger! :)

Heard a story that John McCoy went to Ashley Pangborne and got a P bass made with a custom paint job him himself on the front. When it came to paying for it, he told Ashley Pangborne that he should give him it for nothing as he was a famous bass player and that it would be a good advertisment for his business. AP told him to take a run and jump! LOL!

Was also the first bloke to model the bald head / goatee beard look in Metal.

Edited by WHUFC BASS