Why become a member? ×

Holy grail of bass sounds

Pete Academy

[quote name='Finbar' post='581770' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:19 PM']His own fault. If somebody asked you to wear 'any old crap', how many of us would actually decide wearing red tights would be a good idea in the first place?[/quote]

Would anyone trust Bill Ward to have made a sensible clothing choice during that era when Black Sabbath were snorting their money as fast as they earnt it?! Maybe he thought it was Christmas and decided to dress as an Elf? Amazing drummer, one of my favourites, but definitely a casualty of rock and roll...

Alex

I'd like to be able to have the distorted bass sound of Hugo Prinsen-Geerlings (the former bassplayer of Dutch band The Gathering) on the songs Rollercoaster and Probably Built In The Fifties. A very heavy and agressive tone, especially on that latter track. I wouldn't have much ocassions where I could actually use that tone but I'd love to be able to. My Fulltone Bassdrive gets pretty close with my ATK's (I think Hugo played Stingrays), but it's not quite there yet.

[quote name='Finbar' post='581770' date='Aug 26 2009, 07:19 PM']If somebody asked you to wear 'any old crap', [b]how many of us would actually decide wearing red tights would be a good idea in the first place?[/b][/quote]

I would but only if I could wear my red stilettos, hot pants and sequined boob-tube as well. :)

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='580112' date='Aug 25 2009, 12:42 PM']Geezer was and still is a huge influence on my playing. The first real bass player who's style I latched onto.[/quote]
Same here.
He was the first player I really listened to when I found out there was such a thing as a bass guitar.
Great to see him getting a good few mentions in this thread.

Can't think of the name of the player.......But, Sam Gopal's "Escalator" album. Wonderful piece of 60's psychedelia, no drums, totally driven along by the bass!! Just some weird guy in the back ground on bongos :)

Awesome bass tone, whoever he was :rolleyes:

Edited by retroman

[quote name='retroman' post='582898' date='Aug 27 2009, 08:48 PM']Can't think of the name of the player.......But, Sam Gopal's "Escalator" album. Wonderful piece of 60's psychedelia, no drums, totally driven along by the bass!! Just some weird guy in the back ground on bongos :)

Awesome bass tone, whoever he was :rolleyes:[/quote]

Didn't Lemmy play guitar on that?

[quote name='The Funk' post='578722' date='Aug 24 2009, 01:43 AM']Fingerstyle - Lenny Kravtiz's bass sound on the whole [i]Mama Said[/i] album, especially [i]Always On The Run[/i] and [i]It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over[/i].[/quote]

The great Henry Hirsch! I met him once and we talked in depth about his bass playing, style and tone. In particular, I recall him talking about [i]It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over[/i] - he used a generic American Jazz Bass straight into the desk, with the gain maxed out as much as possible just to the point before distortion, hence the super fat sound. Amazing that something so simple can sound so good - although that always has been my attraction to the Fender Jazz Bass I guess!

Danny

[quote name='retroman' post='578534' date='Aug 23 2009, 08:49 PM']I have Wino's "puntuated Equilibrium" welded to the car CD player! Come to think of it, that's a pretty fat bass sound on there!

I too love The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, Saint Vitus, and The Hidden Hand.

Come to think of it, love all the DOOM bands![/quote]

Agree on the Bass in Jug Full of Sun!

Another Doom fan here, saw Saint Vitus at Hellfest this year, even met Dave Chandler whilst watching Orange Goblin! :) I didn't think I would ever see them play live, never mind meet some of the band!

[quote name='acidbass' post='582957' date='Aug 27 2009, 09:58 PM']The great Henry Hirsch! I met him once and we talked in depth about his bass playing, style and tone. In particular, I recall him talking about [i]It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over[/i] - he used a generic American Jazz Bass straight into the desk, with the gain maxed out as much as possible just to the point before distortion, hence the super fat sound. Amazing that something so simple can sound so good - although that always has been my attraction to the Fender Jazz Bass I guess!

Danny[/quote]

That is indeed a fantastic sound; I have unfortunately never managed to get anything remotely like that out of a Jazz. One day...

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='583816' date='Aug 28 2009, 05:31 PM']This is an old school jazz-funk tune. The sound is unusual and in-your-face.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdsnbkg2bmM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdsnbkg2bmM[/url][/quote]

Ah, that's the sound I don't like in nutshell! :) Nothing against it though, each to their own.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='583816' date='Aug 28 2009, 05:31 PM']This is an old school jazz-funk tune. The sound is unusual and in-your-face.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdsnbkg2bmM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdsnbkg2bmM[/url][/quote]

Sounds like very new roundwounds on a P-bass, like Forget-Me-Nots. I love how hard hitting a sound that is - you play a note, you better really mean it! The total opposite of the uber slinky sound on Son Of A Preacher Man.

Alex

[quote name='steve-soar' post='578458' date='Aug 23 2009, 07:37 PM']Hi, apologies to Pete (don't want to derail any threads, so I started a new one) but I think if we can, we should post our HG of bass sounds.

Here is mine when I was a small.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqllpnyWrY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqllpnyWrY...feature=related[/url]

Mine changed through the years until I found my own. :)[/quote]

Awesome sound.