Why become a member? ×

Holy grail of bass sounds

Pete Academy

Again, forgive me if this has been covered in a previous thread, but have you got a bass sound that you like on a favourite song that you've spent your entire bass playing life trying to replicate? For me it's probably anything by Bernard Edwards. But saying that, I went to see Chic in the early 80s and he was using a B.C. Rich, and it sounded awful.

For rock/punk I love Alan Davey and Lemmy's Hawkwind sound (if you don't know Alan Davey his style is similar to Space Ritual era Lemmy's - check out Sputnik Sam or Right to Decide from later Hawkwind for examples of his overdriven but still warm valvey Rick-driven sound)

For everything else I love the 'traditional' P-bass sound, eg Martyn Casey of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, James Jamerson, Willie Weeks

What I hate above all is an overly trebly bass sound. For example I like Megadeth but find it difficult to take Dave Ellefson's tone (even though he is an ace player). And percussive slap sounds, yuk.

Edited by Clarky

A guy named Mark Adams of the 70s/80s funk band Slave has a sound to die for. Have a listen. Also, whenever I've covered Stevie's 'I Wish', I tend to miss out the end upper slides, as they're impossible to replicate. They sound like a tuba on steroids!!! I know some of these sounds are accidents in the studio, but what the hell.

Hi, apologies to Pete (don't want to derail any threads, so I started a new one) but I think if we can, we should post our HG of bass sounds.

Here is mine when I was a small.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqllpnyWrY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqllpnyWrY...feature=related[/url]

Mine changed through the years until I found my own. :)