Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG bass ?

artisan

i'm quite fancying buying an SG bass,do any of you guys have one & if so i would appreciate your opinions of them.
i've nearly always had Fender basses & fancy something a bit different but still retro.
i play blues & classic rock so i'm thinking one of these will be perfect for the job + i get a a bit of grief with my left shoulder so the short scale may be a bonus for that.
always liked Jack Bruce's early tone so a set of flats will be a must & then i hope to be in retro city :)

GAK list an SG reissue & an SG faded which looks to be an oil finish,is this the only difference between to two ?

cheers guys.

I had an SG reissue bass (think its only the gloss nitro finish that differs from the faded version) as I loved the retro look. Unfortunately I found the short scale problematic, which was why I sold. If you are OK with that then fine. Sound wise it really was thumpy and boomy. Our drummer loved it as he could hear the low notes clearly. The only structural quibble I had was with the stock three-point bridge which is pretty poor - I replaced it with an infinitely superior Hipshot bridge specifically designed to replace the 3-pointer.

I recently bought a Korean Epi SGEB3 from the bay cos i wanted a taste of the Gibson thing...the Gibson model being shortscale was what put me off...that and the fact that it's a 'reissue' of a bass that never existed. I stuck a Dimarzio Willpower on the Epi and it's now a quite respectible and fun to play bass.

Kennys Music has a Gibson SG reissue in the faded black finish for £700 quid brand new in case your interested.

Edited by thebeat

Nice basses really - at least if you want the EB3 vibe without the problems of 40 year old basses. Having said this, they are not quite the same - whereas the EB3 goes from super-bass to super-honky, the SG bass is a much subtler affair.

Most people regard those extremes on the EB3 as too extreme anyway, at least to use in a real situation - you may well prefer this 'tamed' version to the real thing.

Try one! ([url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/2006gibsonSGreissue.php"]heres mine by the way[/url] - not many about in that colour!)

I've sold it now, but I had a nice Warmoth SG for sale on here a little while ago:

Not all the Gibsons / Epis are short scale either. The Epiphone EB-0 is shortscale and the EB-3 is longscale and has dual pickups. Not too sure on the Gibsons but I believe there are both type floating around. I've also heard that the Epis sound very muddy compared to the Gibsons, but that might be what you're after!

thanks for the "useful" replies guys & a couple of nice basses shown too.
i'll probably go for the faded one as i think the extra £400.00 is a tad rich just for a shiny finnish,especially with me being a Yorkshire man an all :)
thanks for the link for Kenny's btw - i have found one considerably cheaper though,just have to convince the wife that we really need a new bass & not a new bathroom.

I bought a used Epi EB-0 from the forum and it's a brilliant change from what I'd been used to - you know, Precision, Jazz and MusicMan. If you want a try then go the Epiphone route, get a decent set of strings and you'll get a good idea of whether it suits you or not. There is quite a difference between the pickups fitted to the Epi and Gibson version (the epi is much lower impedance and weaker magnets), but don't worry about hardware etc. They work pretty well straight off the shelf.

Don't worry too much about Hipshot Supertone bridges and suchlike - I've tried them and Schaller 460's too (hugely heavy machined brass Gibson replacement bridge) and neither of them made much difference - I think spending an extra eighty odd quid kind of makes you want to hear a difference that isn't really there. :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='577025' date='Aug 21 2009, 07:26 PM']Don't worry too much about Hipshot Supertone bridges and suchlike - I think spending an extra eighty odd quid kind of makes you want to hear a difference that isn't really there. :)[/quote]

No, you are right, but I think most people that change out the bridge are doing so because the Gibson 3 point can be tricky to adjust, and sometimes just doesn't go low enough. Or they lost a saddle and can't get a replacement (moreso with the older ones).

Personally I have no problems with them, but i've had a lot of practise. The hipshot is easier to adjust still though, no practise required.

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='577265' date='Aug 22 2009, 01:42 AM']No, you are right, but I think most people that change out the bridge are doing so because the Gibson 3 point can be tricky to adjust, and sometimes just doesn't go low enough. Or they lost a saddle and can't get a replacement (moreso with the older ones).

Personally I have no problems with them, but i've had a lot of practise. The hipshot is easier to adjust still though, no practise required.[/quote]

Yeah, fair point, I think the biggest problem with the 3 point is it falls to pieces when you take the strings off! Is your EB an original white finish? If so, I hope you keep armed guards around your house.. :)

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='577275' date='Aug 22 2009, 12:48 AM']Being an insufferable bass snob I have an unhealthy Gassing for the Warwick Jack Bruce LI - but £3K FFS!
How good can that be?

BB[/quote]

Do you mean [url="http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?submenuID=14667&katID=22144&cl=EN"]this one[/url]?

There was a fretless version in the Bass Centre when it was still a shop, which I've played. Very nice indeed, and is actually the only Warwick I've ever tried that didn't feel totally horrible to me. However it required an unfeasible number of batteries - 3 IIRC - and the Bass Centre were asking £4k for an off-the-peg bass that by the time I tried it was already showing some signs of shop soiling...

While I have no problems with the idea of spending that kind of money on the right bass, I find it hard to justify price tags of over £2k for anything that hasn't been tailored exactly to my requirements, and the custom Sei fretless that I ended up ordering cost considerably less.

Yup, keep it on SG's yeah!? noice! :), anything else I'm gonna get my trimming scissors out :lol:

Warmoth do seem to do some nice options for those intrested in SG's......I'd actually love to get my hands on an SG shape with jazz pickups! :rolleyes:

Si

[quote name='henry norton' post='577408' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:20 AM']Is your EB an original white finish?[/quote]

In my avatar? that is actually a [url="http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/KalamazooKBbass.php"]kalamazoo KB bass[/url] - basically a bolt-on maple neck on a chipboard body, but with Gibson pickups and hardware. They are nice sounding basses really - if you like boomy EB0s - made in Kalamazoo still though. Gibson was phasing out those bridges and handrests, so just used them up on these. The bodies were actually made by a toilet seat manufacturer in Wisconsin

White is a common colour with Kalamazoo basses. But I am about to collect my newly refinned white EB3L. A sister to my (also refinned) [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1971gibsonEB3L.php"]black Gibson EB3L[/url].

I think she'll get gigged a lot over the next few months.

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='577557' date='Aug 22 2009, 01:46 PM']White is a common colour with Kalamazoo basses. But I am about to collect my newly refinned white EB3L. A sister to my (also refinned) [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/1971gibsonEB3L.php"]black Gibson EB3L[/url].

I think she'll get gigged a lot over the next few months.[/quote]

Now there's a bass that Gibson should reissue...... :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='577706' date='Aug 22 2009, 05:55 PM']Thread has been editted due to a complaint - Please keep it about basses in here....

Off topics should stay there.[/quote]

thank you.(it wasn't me that complained btw but it was starting to pi55 me off)

Edited by artisan

ok i'm sorted (well for now),thanks for all the usefull input chaps.

went into PMT Leeds today hoping they'd have an Epi' EB0 just so i could try the short scale for myself before ordering a Gibson.
unfortunately they didn't have one in but they did have a Korean made Epi EB3 which i had a go on & "wow" it's a beaut',it looks nice,plays nice & sounds nice so i just had to buy it.
it is by far the nicest £199 bass i've ever played & i can't believe how well put together it is when compared to the "cheaper" end basses i learned to play on 30 years ago,i'm so impressed that i may actually use it for my next upcoming gig.
mind i may still buy a Gibson too, at a later date, but i'll try a short scale EBO first & see if i get on with it.

so i'm a happy bunny (for now)
thanks guys.

[quote name='artisan' post='577729' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:20 PM']went into PMT Leeds today hoping they'd have an Epi' EB0 just so i could try the short scale for myself before ordering a Gibson.
unfortunately they didn't have one in but they did have a Korean made Epi EB3 which i had a go on & "wow" it's a beaut',it looks nice,plays nice & sounds nice so i just had to buy it.[/quote]

hey - congrats ! although you're doing nowt for my gas...

i'm fancying a black eb3...

how's the neck-dive ?

better or worse than a t-bird ?

[quote name='ahpook' post='577740' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:26 PM']hey - congrats ! although you're doing nowt for my gas...

i'm fancying a black eb3...

how's the neck-dive ?

better or worse than a t-bird ?[/quote]

:) cheers,
actually i've never player a T'bird so i can't compare but with a nice wide strap not to bad really & the bass plays so nice you just don't notice it,the best £199 i ever spent i reckon.
if it fits in well with the band i may even sell my beloved Jazz & buy a Gibson i'm that impressed.

Here was mine i bought from new, for a very good price (several hundred pounds cheaper than i've seen it nowadays). It was a very comfortable, light and solid bass. Definitely one of the good Gibsons. I eventually sold it as it didn't quite fit tonally with my next band. However, i'd love to still have it now. It looked super cool on stage in white.

[attachment=31413:GibsonSG.jpg]

[quote name='Tee' post='578172' date='Aug 23 2009, 12:57 PM']Here was mine i bought from new, for a very good price (several hundred pounds cheaper than i've seen it nowadays). It was a very comfortable, light and solid bass. Definitely one of the good Gibsons. I eventually sold it as it didn't quite fit tonally with my next band. However, i'd love to still have it now. It looked super cool on stage in white.

[attachment=31413:GibsonSG.jpg][/quote]

very nice indeedy.