Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG bass ?

artisan

[quote name='12stringbassist' post='578666' date='Aug 23 2009, 11:20 PM']Here's my SG Supreme.

[/quote]

very nice infact THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK :)

i gave in earlier today & ordered a nice heritage cherry SG from Guitar Guitar & it should arrive tomorrow.
i guess thats a sleepless night for me.
it's just like christmas.

I had a 60's EB0 and I thought it sounded awful. No clarity or definition, just loads of woolly wooliness! Modern versions might be different, but if that's your thing....!

Jack Bruce’s sound mainly came from his Marshall stack with the blown and torn speakers.

About 4 gigs into a 1970 EB3 now and its just great, lots of diff sounds, you do have to play hard though.

Could never understand what Jack Bruce's sound was, other than just a dull bass, Andy Fraser of Free, :) :rolleyes: :lol: now his sound is just awesome with the EB3 and the reason I bought the Gibson.

[quote name='SS73' post='581589' date='Aug 26 2009, 04:35 PM']Could never understand what Jack Bruce's sound was, other than just a dull bass, Andy Fraser of Free, :) :rolleyes: :lol: now his sound is just awesome with the EB3 and the reason I bought the Gibson.[/quote]

+1
Likewise Jim Lea of Slade - great driving rock sound :lol:

[quote name='BigRedX' post='582841' date='Aug 27 2009, 08:06 PM']Cool pics - thanks for posting those.

Looks like there used to be a pickup by the neck - what's the story with that and also the extra hole in the pick guard?[/quote]

I would have to check with Jim about that next time I see him.
He's a bit vague on technical details, but would prob remember that.

• 6 months later...

I recently bought a new 2009 Gibson SG faded cherry finish bass .
Its my first bass so I wanted to get something a bit decent and having been a guitarist since 1990 knew that it is false economy to buy a cheap/budget starter bass .
I tried a Fender Precision mexican bass first which I did not like at all, so it was off to the shop, I tried several makes and found the short scale SG to be perfect for my short arms and fingers :)
When I first saw it I did not like the faded finish but after a bit of use and several polishes it looks great and is starting to get some shine back .
It plays really nicely, the action is spot on, its very comfy, light and nicely balanced, I like the sound and control set up, the only thing I am not too keen on is the height of the bridge pick up, it seems too close to the strings and I occasionally hit it with my pick, maybe its my technique that needs to improve as I have only been playing a few months .

I give it a 10/10