Why become a member? ×

Famous Jaguar Players

spongebob

I have started to notice some 'name' players using the marvelous Jaguar bass.

Here's a shot of the excellent Barry Adamson (former Ric man like myself) from Magazine last month -

[url="http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=402700274&albumID=1608631&imageID=24091907"]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...mageID=24091907[/url]

I also saw a My Chemical Romance video yesterday (don't know the band that well or the song), but the bassist had one too.

Got tipped off about a Radiohead webcam thingy where their guy was playing a Jag.

Any other recent Jag sightings?

I'd love to know of any examples on record?

I read somewhere that it's the best selling Fender bass aside from the P's and J's. Don't know if this is true, but I certainly can't put mine down! :)

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='spongebob' post='566497' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:54 AM']Got tipped off about a Radiohead webcam thingy where their guy was playing a Jag.[/quote]

Yeah, they did a cover version of The Smiths' "Headmaster Ritual" and Colin Greenwood plays a black Jag in the web video - it looks really nice!

I read on Talk Bass the other day that Fender are discontinuing the Jag.

If it is such a good seller, surely this can't be the case?

Elsewhere it mentioned transferring production to Mexico, but this is unconfirmed.

Anybody else heard anything on this?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='567426' date='Aug 12 2009, 10:49 PM']Shingai in the Noisettes uses one
[/quote]
Saw them ages ago before they were a manufactured dodgy pop product - she was beating the hell out of a weird old Teisco.

Jon.

[quote name='spongebob' post='566497' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:54 AM']Here's a shot of the excellent Barry Adamson (former Ric man like myself) from Magazine last month -[/quote]

When I saw Magazine in Manchester earlier this year his bass sound was bloody awful until he changed from his Jaguar to his Ovation Magnum.
Awesome player though - one of my favourites.

[quote name='spongebob' post='566816' date='Aug 12 2009, 02:44 PM']If it is such a good seller, surely this can't be the case?[/quote]

Yeh, but being third in line behind the Precision and the Jazz could mean they're only selling 10 a year, it's not like there's a whole lot of competing models at Fender. No disrepect to the players above, but we're not talking a lot of musicians here are we? Furthermore, I thought Pino's sound was crap with The Who and it seems the same has been said about Adamson above with his Jag. I'm not saying they're not good basses, the 'crap tone' accusation has been levelled at players of Precisions, Jazzes, Stingrays and many other great basses, and is often nothing to do with the bass or even the player. However, I guess what I am saying is that if not many people play them (-1 for the Jag), and that when they do the tone isn't outstanding, to the public's ear at least (-2 for the Jag), and they do tend to look a bit like those dodgy early 70's Jap basses, at least from a distance (-3 to the Jag), then Fender's bottom line on the instrument probably isn't being met.

Of course, once they're discontinued everyone and his dog will choose to play them and then they'll be reintroduced by Fender as Limited Edition, Custom Shop, Closet Classic, Relic, NOS, etc models.

C

[quote name='RhysP' post='567566' date='Aug 13 2009, 06:21 AM']When I saw Magazine in Manchester earlier this year his bass sound was bloody awful until he changed from his Jaguar to his Ovation Magnum.
Awesome player though - one of my favourites.[/quote]

That's surprising about his tone, as I've been gigging mine pretty regular of late, and it cuts through with a great sound, using both active and passive modes.

As for the scrapping of the model, it's only rumour....and it's still on the Fender site. Don't know about the production move to Mexico, though?

As for Mr. Adamson...totally agree - I think he's one of those players under the radar. I've not seen the reformed Magazine - too young first time round, but been listening since about '93. His basslines got me hooked!

On an aside, anyone know what bass he used on record? I've seen pictures with a Ric 4001S with modified pups, but I really don't know what he used on LP.

I was actually jamming with 'The Correct Use Of Soap' yesterday - what a record! :)

[quote name='spongebob' post='568180' date='Aug 13 2009, 05:15 PM']As for Mr. Adamson...totally agree - I think he's one of those players under the radar. I've not seen the reformed Magazine - too young first time round, but been listening since about '93. His basslines got me hooked!

On an aside, anyone know what bass he used on record? I've seen pictures with a Ric 4001S with modified pups, but I really don't know what he used on LP.

I was actually jamming with 'The Correct Use Of Soap' yesterday - what a record! :)[/quote]

Go & see them if you get a chance - absolutely fantastic. I never saw them the first time around either - I got into them just after they split up.

He used to use what I thought was a Rickenbacker 4001 with a Gibson EBO type pickup in the neck position, but apparently it was a copy (probably an Ibanez). He was one of the few players to regularly use an Ovation Magnum (Awesome basses!). The Ovations could sound quite Ricky-ish so it's difficult to know what he's using in the studio, it could have been either, or something else entirely......

His bass tone on record was fantastic - very reminiscent of Chris Squires tone (as was some of his playing actually - "Back to Nature" from the "Secondhand Daylight" album has a bassline that is incredibly Squire-ish).
I've always thought of Adamson as the "Post punk Squire", which I'm sure he'd hate me for!

From what I have read on the 'net, there seemed to be concern about Fender not importing the Jag to the US anymore from Japan, but this seems to be a lot of rumour.

I had a check on Fender.com, and there's no sign of that at all. In fact, their Jag section is better the the co.uk site, with some players pics that use them as well! -

[url="http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0259505506"]http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0259505506[/url]

They seem to have a quite a following on 'another' bass forum....which is nice! :brow:

the jaguar and jazzmaster I think are amazing looking guitars, they look amazing.
The bass doesn't, it seems scaled wrong. the shapes dont flow, it just looks half baked. Even kurt managed to mess with the jag and come up with something that worked, the fender bass folk have just made something ugly to my eyes.
Also they havn't really sold it as what it does. Look at the website, its all about what the thing looks like. Not what it sounds like or the advantages of it over a jazz or anything.

Its a shame, a bit of work on the shape, bass treble cut and boost, and a MM style pup at the bridge and they would have had something interesting to add to their line up. As it is its just like a glamed up jazz bass isnt it?

[quote name='mike257' post='567826' date='Aug 13 2009, 11:56 AM']Justin Meldal-Johnson occasionally dabbles with one, seen a few shots of him rocking out on it with Nine Inch Nails recently![/quote]

Including an P/J custom shop Jag!

[url="http://img193.imageshack.us/i/incajag3.jpg/"][/url]