Why become a member? ×

Markbass amps / combo's / other options

John Wheatley

Hello there,

New to this so if I ramble forgive me.

I'm a fairly clueless bassist playing in a covers band of the get up and dance variety. Pubs, private parties, weddings etc..

Played bass for two years and main bass is a Mexican Fender Precission Special which is a hybrid Precission / Jazz, with both P & J Pick ups (I think thats right). Currently play through a Fender BXR 300c combo, although Ive chopped the cabinet so the head can detach and be refixed with holding clamps (its a very heavy combo). This would howver I presume give me the option to use the 15" cab seperately. I mainly play with a pick being a failed guitarist, although I'm trying to play with fingers on the gentler stuff.

I think the guitar is OK but the combo seems boomy or tinny with not much in between, so I'm thinking of replacing it and want to spend up to £1000. The wife would be happier with a lot less. After looking at forums I'm quite taken with the Markbass CMD 102P combo, with the option to use the 15" cab as a supplementary if needed although I think thats unlikely. The reported clean sound and weight attract me.

Any thoughts or other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers

John

[quote name='Musicman20' post='559695' date='Aug 3 2009, 09:47 PM']I really like Markbass amps. I have the LM3....it works wonders. Clean, powerful, lots of low end. I do not use Markbass cabs though....I cannot comment on their speakers.

I think someone has that combo on sale on here?![/quote]

Cheers for that.

I have read that the amps are better than the cabs. The combo I was looking at as I understand it has the same amp as the LMII, so I'm also considering that and a seperate cab.

Can I ask what cabs / cabs you do use?

Cheers

John

[quote name='John Wheatley' post='559701' date='Aug 3 2009, 09:56 PM']Cheers for that.

I have read that the amps are better than the cabs. The combo I was looking at as I understand it has the same amp as the LMII, so I'm also considering that and a seperate cab.

Can I ask what cabs / cabs you do use?

Cheers

John[/quote]

The LM3/2 goes well with a lot of amps. I prefer Aguilars or Bergantino cabs....if you are after a modular setup, two Aguilar DB112s would be amazing. But...they cost a fair bit, as do the Berg AE112s...so its best to get one at once unless they are on offer.

Also, you could try a Barefaced Compact.....Alex is on this forum all the time...he is sending one round for trial. They are very light and very efficient.

Have a read around on this subforum....lots of great info :)

If I were you...Id go for separate LM2/3...but that because Im not a an of combos. Some people love the Markbass combos!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='559721' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:10 PM']The LM3/2 goes well with a lot of amps. I prefer Aguilars or Bergantino cabs....if you are after a modular setup, two Aguilar DB112s would be amazing. But...they cost a fair bit, as do the Berg AE112s...so its best to get one at once unless they are on offer.

Also, you could try a Barefaced Compact.....Alex is on this forum all the time...he is sending one round for trial. They are very light and very efficient.

Have a read around on this subforum....lots of great info :)

If I were you...Id go for separate LM2/3...but that because Im not a an of combos. Some people love the Markbass combos![/quote]

Cheers,

From what I've read it does sound like seperate head and cab is the way I'll go. Guess I'll have to price it up, and get grovelling.

[quote name='John Wheatley' post='559733' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:18 PM']Cheers,

From what I've read it does sound like seperate head and cab is the way I'll go. Guess I'll have to price it up, and get grovelling.[/quote]

Good idea!

You can get the LM3 for £607 or less....

Or get a LM2 secondhand....

High end cabs are definitely worth investing in!

I would certainly say go for a Compact. Light weight, good shape to carry and reasonably priced when compared to Markbass cabs.

I also love the LMII and I had the LMI before that. For your £1000 you could easily buy a new compact and LMII. Other light weight amps are out there but I have no experience of them.

Frank

+1 on the Choice of Mark Bass!!! IMO... Grab a 2nd hand LMII & a cab to suit. Or the combo U suggested. IMO the MB cabs are as good as their amps, just that many ppl who judge 'em might not have used them in a band/gig setting!!! They SHINE in this setting!!
Grabbing that 210 combo(essentially a LMII & a 210 in one) -as U stated gives U the option of using the 15" as an extra cab- this'd be great as the LMII amp sounds EVEN better, running at 4 ohms!! Better & LOUDER!!
Sure Aguilar & Bergantino make great cabs, but don't write off the MB spkr cabs till U have tried them IN A BAND setting. They 'sit' nicely in the mix & seem to do everything well- just like their amps!

The Mark Bass stuff is nice - but it is very clean sounding. Lots of people like that - but for me, it was too clean and clinical. Defo worth trying before you buy.

If you're not bothered about lightweight, would defo recommend looking at the new [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/hartke/hydrive"]Hartke HyDrive[/url] range. I've just started using the LH500 head in a cover band and would say it's perfect for that kind of stuff.*

*would save you a few quid too!

Edited by stingrayfan

I've yet to gig with it but the GB Shuttle 6.0 is a very nice piece of kit. Personally I prefer the feature set to the LMII/III - I like having the valve preamp and a semi-parametric mid. It also has a more old school sounding output limiter that starts squishing earlier but softer as you run out of power. Since the Markbass prices went up I think it works out a bit cheaper.

Here's mine sitting on my prototype Midget with a Compact lurking behind it: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=55882"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=55882[/url]

That Shuttle/Midget rig weighs less than 28lbs in total yet will definitely play as loud as your big Fender!

Alex

The MB 210 combo is very good, IMO...and the cab has a good chance of reproducing bass as it is a nice deep size and ported.

I can't comment on the extn cabs but I would think that combo with a MB 15 would be a nice choice.
You could expect a potential 500 watts from that set-up, I think..

Or the Eden combo and etc that was on here a few weeks ago might be worth thinking about...

IF you don't go 2nd hand oer the Combo route...your money isn't going to go that far with seperates Mark stuff..

I thinl the LMll at low practise levels is stunning...but I haven't wound one up yet..

OK, I'd suggest either an LH500 or LMII

The LH500 is a great amp, and in a 2U Gator shallow case certainly isnt too heavy, its just not featherwieght.

Definitely spend on cabs, they are more likely to ruin you tone/volume than an amp IMO.

Barefaced are exceptional value for money, a Compact is great a BigOne is devastating!

There are several people on here running an LH500 into a Compact with great success.....

That should come in unde a grand....

I play more or less the same stuff you do.

I second the Mark Bass choice, although their prices increased a great deal since I bought my F1 last year there are very good deals to be made still, and there's nothing wrong on buying it used. (i'm not selling mine :) )

I pair the F1 with a Barefaced Compact and I can tell you that you won't need anything else. If things go silly louder which I don't think they do at functions or weddings you can always run th PA, but to be honest you will never go that loud.

I've tried pushing my Compact yesterday and was less than halfway with the F1 and I couldn't take it anymore.

I'm taking this combination to the bass bash so you are welcome to try it there if you want.

I would go for good, secondhand, light seperates. I think you need a 300-500 watt amp and maybe an 8 ohm cab, which will let you add another at a later date. There are several sales worth investigating in the BC For Sale section at the moment:
[list]
[*]Genz Benz 212 cab
[*]Genz Benz Shuttle 6
[*]2 x Aguilar DB112 cabs
[*]Schroeder 1212L and LM2
[*]LM SA450
[*]Bergantino HT112ER
[/list]
Plus, check out the Barefaced Compact 115.

Edited by chris_b

+1 for Mark Bass. Been using an LMII for a couple of years now. Great Amp.

Might be worth looking at the new Carvin BX500. Great review in BGM, (except for the comment on the control knobs), but get the rack kit and put it in a rack bag and roberts your whatsit..
They are shipping to UK with price including tax as i understand it and priced at £360.00 looks like a possible winner.
Goes down to 2 Ohms as well.
They have service arrangements in UK, so looks good.
[url="http://www.carvinworld.com/bassguitaruk"]http://www.carvinworld.com/bassguitaruk[/url]

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='John Wheatley' post='560059' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:46 AM']Sounds like good quality advice from those more experienced than me, so thanks very much. Not gigging now until September so I've got plenty of time to think it all over.[/quote]

Whereabouts in the UK are you? You might like to slot yourself into the 'Barefaced On Tour' schedule here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=53414&view=findpost&p=557968"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=557968[/url]

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='560159' date='Aug 4 2009, 01:26 PM']Whereabouts in the UK are you? You might like to slot yourself into the 'Barefaced On Tour' schedule here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=53414&view=findpost&p=557968"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=557968[/url]

Alex[/quote]

Hi Alex,

I'm in Nottingham, but our vocalist is in Chester so that might be a good excuse for a night away and a few pints.

Whats the score with making arrangements timing etc..

Cheers

John

I've got a Markbass CMD102P and it is almost a perfect amp. There are only 2 things that I dont like about it: 1- The piezo tweeter has a crappy sound and 2- You might need an external 15" if you play a 5 string bass. Everything else I can say about this amp is VERY GOOD. Very hard to find a better combo!

[quote name='John Wheatley' post='560707' date='Aug 4 2009, 10:25 PM']Hi Alex,

I'm in Nottingham, but our vocalist is in Chester so that might be a good excuse for a night away and a few pints.

Whats the score with making arrangements timing etc..

Cheers

John[/quote]

Hi John,

If you're not in a hurry you could join the Chester posse, towards the end of the first cab's route. Alternatively I could send a third cab out and it can work its way backwards along that route.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='561170' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:18 PM']Hi John,

If you're not in a hurry you could join the Chester posse, towards the end of the first cab's route. Alternatively I could send a third cab out and it can work its way backwards along that route.

Alex[/quote]
On that note I am now the proud owner of one of Alex's Compact's. Anyone who fancies who lives in the Chester vicinity is welcome to pop round and/or come along to a suitable band rehearsal to give it a try. Big up for Alex - terrific cab! And I've left heavier things in the toilet on occasions!

I'll add another vote for the Hartke HYDRIVE's & the LH amps... good stuff at great $$$ This all seems to depend on where in the world U R. See here in Oz Bergantino cabs are same price -or cheaper than Aguilar.... Markbass- far cheaper than most Ampeg!! Hatrtke STILL cheaper than most tho & sound great!!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='561170' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:18 PM']Hi John,

Alex[/quote]

Alex,

Apologies for not getting back to you.

I'm still googling and thinking but you're cabs seem highly regarded so I may well come back to you,

Cheers

John