Why become a member? ×

The NME "Best Bass Player" vote

toneknob

[quote name='steve-soar' post='557878' date='Aug 1 2009, 05:23 PM']Check out its 20 loudest bands bit. Gotta love a bit of Butthole's and Sunn (((O))).[/quote]
20 loudest bands? doesn't it depend on how much you turn your vol up on your hifi / ipod? :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='557685' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:47 AM']hahaha... awesome... but he isn't![/quote]
He is.

I gave him 7 the first time around, and later 10 for being persistent enough to try again with a different photo.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='557727' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:39 PM']Yeah, there're a few weird choices for "Best Bass Line". I mean, what about "There's No Other Way" or "Girls & Boys"?

And "This Charming Man" for Andy Rourke? Probably one of his most staid, root-heavy lines. Hmmm.[/quote]

And Sid Vicious' best bass line was Submission apparently.

Glen Matlock's bassline with Steve Jones playing wasn't it? :)

[quote name='Oscar South' post='558086' date='Aug 1 2009, 09:26 PM']Geddy Lee is at #1 though, so not alls wrong in the world.[/quote]
I'm really astonished to see Geddy mentioned at all - I wouldn't have thought your average NME reader would have a clue who he is.

I always hated NME with a passion. Sh*te rag about sh*te music. It's a publishing tragedy that SOUNDS and Melody Maker died off and NME survived somehow.

As a yoof I worshipped the altar that was SOUNDS. I probably still have a big pile of them in the loft ....

[quote name='Golchen' post='558865' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:43 PM']I always hated NME with a passion. Sh*te rag about sh*te music. It's a publishing tragedy that SOUNDS and Melody Maker died off and NME survived somehow.

As a yoof I worshipped the altar that was SOUNDS. I probably still have a big pile of them in the loft ....[/quote]Do you have Sept-Oct 1990 issues? :)

I find it a little sad that they slag off bass in general but looking at all the old stagers on show, mildly satisfying.
Roger Waters is a nasty bassist, what a live tone.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJ_QVfT_wM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJ_QVfT_wM[/url]

6:04. Precision heaven and one of the best performance films ever.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='557706' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:22 PM']Last time I even looked at one of those 'polls' it was for, I think, 'World's best Guitarist' or something. As I recall Noel Gallacher was about 9th, and Alan Holdsworth didn't make it onto the list.[/quote]

I remember him advertising synth guitars in magazines in the early '90s, but are you telling me he's actually made some records too? That people have ever heard? I don't like Oasis but I know enough about them to decide I don't like them. I've literally not heard a note this bloke's produced, ever.

(Paused to give Horace Panter a 10)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='557727' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:39 PM']And "This Charming Man" for Andy Rourke? Probably one of his most staid, root-heavy lines. Hmmm.[/quote]

Either that or Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now was his most interesting Smiths stuff, IMO.

It's funny to see all these people who think Mark King's (average rating: 3.42) not a complete twat getting all irate about a poll in NME. :)

I just gave Kim Deal a 10 too. Sue me. :rolleyes:

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='559228' date='Aug 3 2009, 02:12 PM']NME is a load of sh*t that just feature flavour of the month bands that are crap! Why include the guy out of the cribs? hes an ok player and everything but hes no Geddy! its all just a popularity poll[/quote]

Although Geddy does seem to be holding the top slot at the moment.

It's not worth people getting their pants in a twist though, as is the case with every 'Top 10 best ever things in the world ever' lists it's all completely subjective.

Some kid reading the NME may have decided to pick up a bass because they loved an Arctic Monkeys record, therefore to that kid the fella from the Arctic Monkeys is more important than Geddy Lee or Jaco. I started playing bass because I was obsessed with Fugazi records, so I'd naturally give Joe Lally a higher score than Mark King.

Speaking of which, I'm off to vote for Wentz as he has the best haircut.

NME fads aside, this is actually reading like a fairly well informed list. We can make smart alec comments (incidentally mine is "I always remember Carol Kaye wanting to play as well as Krist Novoselic") but actually I've seen a LOT worse. I suspect this has got better as the thread has continued.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='558896' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:28 AM']Either that or Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now was his most interesting Smiths stuff, IMO.[/quote]

My personal faves of his are These Things Take Time and You've Got Everything Now

[quote name='flip' post='559243' date='Aug 3 2009, 02:27 PM']I started playing bass because I was obsessed with Fugazi records, so I'd naturally give Joe Lally a higher score than Mark King.[/quote]

I would as well, but that's because I do actually prefer Joe Lally's playing!