Why become a member? ×

The NME "Best Bass Player" vote

toneknob

[quote name='toneknob' post='557668' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:28 AM'][url="http://www.nme.com/rate/bassplayer/start"]http://www.nme.com/rate/bassplayer/start[/url]

Last time I looked, Jaco was on 4.63 out of 10, and the chap from Arctic Monkeys was doing better than James Jamerson.[/quote]
Apparently some guy called Roger Walters plays bass for Pink Floyd. :)

I haven't even been near any incarnation of the NME for years, and this page sums up why: [url="http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&title=greatest_bass_players_have_your_say&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1"]Greatest Bass Players - Have Your Say[/url]

Here's my favourite bit of bulls**t:
[quote]You look at Johnny Marr, or John Squire, or Eddie Van Halen, and you think, yes, I'd kill to be able to play like that. Conversely, you observe the masters of the bassist's art – people like Jaco Pastorius and Pino Palladino, with their liquid, fretless, floppy-fingered ways – and you think, hmm, perhaps I'll leave it.[/quote]
No, I don't think that at all. I think the opposite of that.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='557678' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:36 AM']Apparently some guy called Roger Walters plays bass for Pink Floyd. :)[/quote]
Not to mention Thin Lizzy's legendary Phil Lycott.......

Considering the NME is basically a kiddies comic & fashion magazine I'm really surprised at some of the names on that list.

[quote name='RhysP' post='557689' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:54 AM']....Considering the NME is basically a kiddies comic & fashion magazine I'm really surprised at some of the names on that list....[/quote]
The NME's been fancy bog roll since the 60's.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='557717' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:30 PM']Alex James (Blur) - Best Bass Line = Beetlebum.

What the hell?[/quote]
Yeah, there're a few weird choices for "Best Bass Line". I mean, what about "There's No Other Way" or "Girls & Boys"?

And "This Charming Man" for Andy Rourke? Probably one of his most staid, root-heavy lines. Hmmm.

Hardly anyone has been rated above 5. People are probs giving them 1 if they've never heard of them.

Also, Rob Trujilo didn't play bass on St. Anger, Bob Rock did. So it seems a bit ignorant of them to put his greatest bassline as Some Kind Of Monster (it should clearly be a Suicidal Tendencies/Infectious Grooves song anyway)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='557674' date='Aug 1 2009, 11:33 AM']Hmmm some odd results in there to say the least... more a vote of which bands NME [b]readers[/b] like, rather than the skill of the bands bassists it seems...[/quote]

...i thought this said: 'more a vote of which bands NME [b]retards[/b] like...' and on reflection it probably should.