Why become a member? ×

Hit me with your rhythm stick...

[quote name='Earbrass' post='549095' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:10 PM']Sorry, didn't mean to scare you off! I'm not terribly sure about the PRS / rights stuff, which is why I posted asking for others' views, so please don't take my word as in any sense authoritative on this.[/quote]

aw no it didnt.
i wasn't on about the PRS thing when i said that :)

[quote name='silddx' post='549096' date='Jul 23 2009, 04:11 PM']Yeah, same here, I have a couple of vids of me playing along to Rush and Zappa, have had for a while. There is loads of it out there untouched. They only took the direct rips, file sharing stuff off there I believe.[/quote]

and awesome, could you send me a link?
x

youtube seems weird for what copyrighted stuff it decides to take down. For instance I had a video of me playing along with Maiden's Phantom of the Opera on there which got pulled 'by the copyright owner'. Fair enough of course, BUT how come theres still hundreds of other peoples videos of exactly the same thing on there untouched? And also some of my other videos are of my band playing Maiden songs which again have remained untouched!

Not sure about myspace - one thing that annoyed me recently was that a local covers band had the original versions of some songs on there (ie: the actual artist recorded album tracks) but were passing them off as their versions!! bit naughty that i thought!!

not wanting to really get involved with the whole Faithless issue but on a side note, I frequent alot of art related forums and quite often you get real amateurs on there posting their work which is, no matter which way you look at it, absolutely terrible, but still you get the cliquey forum members saying 'wow! thats great' and stuff, when clearly it isn't! that kinda makes a mockery of the whole constructive criticism thing if they just say any old rubbish is good just to be polite.

and for what its worth he's my feeble attempt from a couple of years back!

peace

c

Edited by 3V17C

The point about playing it with a pick action is pretty good. Your left hand will have to be a lot more active and you can always try it with a double thumb Wooten style
I think that the different take on it can be pretty good....

When all said and done, it is about how you nail it, more than exactly how you play it...

If it sounds good, it is good.....

Ok, now we can continue our discussion..

At the beginning, while I'm not going to bother to react to such retarded comments, suggesting crap, like 'leaving this place', calling me retard, imbecile just for expressing my opinion, or asking for 'clarification', if I could nail the song, when I haven't actually [b]compared [/b]myself to anyone's, especially, Zoe's capabilities on particular songs or whatever, I'd like to clarify my thoughts a bit, as my thoughts were quite scattered, just because I was in a rush, but couldn't resist to post a bit, let's say, [i]opposite [/i]look to the majority.. And, not to forget, my English knowledge wasn't the last subject to act in my first post.

[quote name='Faithless' post='548057' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:53 PM']You know, sometimes it just reminds me of those 12-year old kiddies playing Jamiroquai stuff... OK, they KNOW the notes maybe, but they aren't [b]tight [/b]at the end (and, with [i]a bit more[/i] practice, I think, they could..), but, when, especially, being a bassist, [b]what's the point [/b]then?[/quote]

First of all, when talking about 'kiddies playing Jamiroquai', I was mainly talking about those Youtube-one lads, who publically post half-done songs and then they get the 'best' comments on their playing.

But have you ever thought, what could be the outcome of such 'blind stimulation'? No, you didn't.

For f*cks sake, haven't you seen enough [b]young [/b]musos yet, who, in influence of those 'well-wishers' start claiming themselves Jamersons, Claptons, D.Weckls or whatever, when they actually can't even play one bar in [b]time [/b]on 'above-mentioned chaps' songs?..

Ok, maybe it isn't that bad in all situations, but, what I want to say, [i]a lot youngsters[/i] (simply, young players, or however you want to call them, FFS..), 'elevated' by futile praisings, [i]stop improving[/i], when there's just the 'beginning of the road' for them(youngsters), I mean, they still have a lot places to cover. THAT IS MY POINT.

Not to forget, I AM NOT DEDICATING this exactly to Zoe - I'm trying to look at this problem in general.

Also, it is sad, that a lot of folks here can't understand a simple thing, that, maybe the next time you're 'praising' other young player, 'blind' compliments could do nothing more, than the 'shot in the eye' (hope, you got my mind..)

Aaaand, when I was saying - 'what is the point of doing it, when it is not more or less perfect', [b]I did not mean[/b] not learning/trying it at all, I was more about questioning it, why it is shown publically (Youtube or whatever..)

I hope it is clear now. I am sorry, if I insulted anyone, including Clarky and a few other ones - I understand your position, but, I wasn't clear in my first post to the end..

But, as I am not going' to start apologizing to such geezers, like Steeevie, instead of it, we could talk a bit about [i]constructive [/i]criticism. Doubly.

Firstly, it is about evalution. Whether you're 'praising' it or 'bashing to bits', you are, in some point, [i]criticising [/i]it, after all.
Now, for about [i]two [/i]pages in this thread there was NOT a single comment, where we could find [i]at least[/i] a hint to Zoe's timing and phrasing issues. Only 'blind praising', once again.

So, what can you, people, talk about such things like improvement, when you actually aren't [i]constructively [/i][i]critising [/i]it yourself???

Secondly, critising 'opposite' opinion (mine, in this case), I think, is not calling a person retard, imbecile, dobber or whatever. It is more about plainly explaining, where you do not agree with me.

But, then, at a push, some of you are not actually criticising, you are simply not staying your own ground in a discussion. Miserable, what can I more say.

Now, at the end, question exactly to Zoe:

Can you tell, what was the point recording a song in such tempo (where you can't properly play it [i]at the moment[/i], as we see..), when you could've done it a bit slower (10% or somethin' like that..) and make it with hardly any fluffs? Was it a simple rush or anything else?

The interesting fact is, that you will never ever nail any tune properly, if you rush it with tempo.

I quit for now,
Faith.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='549479' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:33 PM']Ok, now we can continue our discussion..

At the beginning, while I'm not going to bother to react to such retarded comments, suggesting crap, like 'leaving this place', calling me retard, imbecile just for expressing my opinion, or asking for 'clarification', if I could nail the song, when I haven't actually [b]compared [/b]myself to anyone's, especially, Zoe's capabilities on particular songs or whatever, I'd like to clarify my thoughts a bit, as my thoughts were quite scattered, just because I was in a rush, but couldn't resist to post a bit, let's say, [i]opposite [/i]look to the majority.. And, not to forget, my English knowledge wasn't the last subject to act in my first post.

etc etc etc[/quote]

Whhoooah... settle down, Tiger.

You knew fine well your post would result in varying degrees of reaction, and end in flames. Don't start acting suprised now.

:) Don't be zany, WoT.

Yes, I know, there'd be different reactions. But, it was not about the flames. Simply, there are people, who are just waiting for such situations. Sadly, it doesn't depend on me.

Surprised? Take a look at the first line once again, please.

Not many have the courage to expose their weaknesses publically. Zoe did because she recognises that the world can be her teacher. Because of Zoe's attitude, we are privileged to witness her growing as a musician. She is not afraid to expose her weaknesses. That is her strength.

I expose my immense weaknesses as a musician to jakesbass, as he is my teacher, because I don't have the courage or the humility to do it in this forum, or generally in public. We are used to exposing our weaknesses only privately and then going into the wide world and showing what we think are our strengths.

The fact most of the people on this thread have shown nothing but encouragement and support to Zoe is testament to the fact that many of us recognise her courage in inviting us to witness her learning process.

I've got nothing but deep respect for that.

EDIT: I hadn't really expressed that very well, but you know what I'm getting at.

Edited by silddx

Hey Zoe

Great playing, I played this track in a covers band gig 3 weeks ago for charity and it's a toughie to play. We're now making an album of the gig to get more funds for the charity and we've recorded a version of hit me, when it's finished I'll stick a link up so you can hear my effort!

I had the pleasure of seeing the Blockheads play a couple of weeks ago in Southwark park (South London) and they played it, sounded as great as it did the first time round!

Well done for learning a real tricky bass line.. Great groove though eh?
Geoff

[quote name='Faithless' post='549479' date='Jul 23 2009, 10:33 PM']Now, at the end, question exactly to Zoe:

Can you tell, what was the point recording a song in such tempo (where you can't properly play it [i]at the moment[/i], as we see..), when you could've done it a bit slower (10% or somethin' like that..) and make it with hardly any fluffs? Was it a simple rush or anything else?

The interesting fact is, that you will never ever nail any tune properly, if you rush it with tempo.

I quit for now,
Faith.[/quote]

I do understand what you're saying.

but... 1: i was just excited that i could play it like i can, that is an achievement for me. that is all!
I know i struggle with it, but i wasnt posting it as a 'final - mastered version' or anything of the sort.
its simply, just me, having a little bit of fun.

And 2: I dont know how to slow a song down, unless im using my Tascam trainer.

It was just a bit of fun.
:)

Z
x

[quote name='SingLadies' post='549623' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:51 AM']Hey Zoe

Great playing, I played this track in a covers band gig 3 weeks ago for charity and it's a toughie to play. We're now making an album of the gig to get more funds for the charity and we've recorded a version of hit me, when it's finished I'll stick a link up so you can hear my effort!

I had the pleasure of seeing the Blockheads play a couple of weeks ago in Southwark park (South London) and they played it, sounded as great as it did the first time round!

Well done for learning a real tricky bass line.. Great groove though eh?
Geoff[/quote]

I saw them in Dudley a few months back ... about 30 people there. Supported them with Phil Jupitis last year and 700 there. Obviously to do with the support band.

I love the Blockheads ... :)

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='549625' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:51 AM']i was just excited that i could play it like i can, that is an achievement for me. that is all![/quote]

Hon, it's an achievement for anyone.

As for you Faith, why not show her how it should be done? Post your version - in a new thread - played over the original at song tempo. 48 hrs long enough to record it and get it up? :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='549634' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:57 AM']im on a mac.. you can probably do it in garageband..
but ah well

Z
x[/quote]
BestPractice ([url="http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/"]http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/[/url]) would be ideal but it appears it's only available for Windows. :)

Edited by Stingray5

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='549647' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:15 AM']Hon, it's an achievement for anyone.

As for you Faith, why not show her how it should be done? Post your version - [i]in a new thread [/i] - played over the original at song tempo. 48 hrs long enough to record it and get it up?[/quote]

But remember.. it has to be perfect..
or theres no point..apparently.............

Z
x