Why become a member? ×

Hit me with your rhythm stick...

Yup, an extravagant hat tip to you for that!

That number takes a lot of stamina. I've avoided it like the plague, can't take the misery :)

When I met him a couple of months ago, he seemed sort of humbled and delighted when I told him I knew of at least five people on BC who were trying to get that mother down. It's a bench mark bass line.

Well bloody done!

[quote name='Bassassin' post='547895' date='Jul 22 2009, 05:51 PM']Lovely playing Miss Z, and tight as a really tight thing. :)

I suspect there are people 3 times your age crying as they listen. No, I [i]know[/i] it. :rolleyes:

Jon.[/quote]

Damn right That's an achievement!

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='547908' date='Jul 22 2009, 05:59 PM']Just had a listen Zoe and it sounds great. You've got a really nice tone going there as well with your setup.[/quote]

Its just my fender going straight into my Macbook without any effects lol

[quote name='silddx' post='547999' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:03 PM']Yup, an extravagant hat tip to you for that!

That number takes a lot of stamina. I've avoided it like the plague, can't take the misery :lol:

When I met him a couple of months ago, he seemed sort of humbled and delighted when I told him I knew of at least five people on BC who were trying to get that mother down. It's a bench mark bass line.

Well bloody done!

I met him a few weeks ago too :)
inspired me to learn it after seeing him play[/quote]

I met him a few weeks ago too :rolleyes:
inspired me to learn it after seeing him play

Z
x

I'm about to get bashed for following, but whatever..

You know, sometimes it just reminds me of those 12-year old kiddies playing Jamiroquai stuff... OK, they KNOW the notes maybe, but they aren't [b]tight [/b]at the end (and, with [i]a bit more[/i] practice, I think, they could..), but, when, especially, being a bassist, [b]what's the point [/b]then?

But, then again, they get sweetest applauses (Basschat is not an exeption, sorry..), just because of what? Just because they're young and they try to come over the stuff, that [i]normally[/i] [i]shouldn't[/i] be taken by a kid?

You know, I could probably taken one of [i]those [/i]Hadrien Feraud's solos, then get it down to the deepest f*ckin' bottom, but, [b]rhythmically [/b] and musically (phrasing and stuff), I KNOW I couldn't make it, so, what's the point then?
You'd praise me just for trying? Thanks, but I don't need that.

Zoe, I'm not trying to offend you - I'm not actually 'dedicating' my rubbish thoughts to you, it's for those well-wishers to think about [i]it[/i] a bit more..

I wish you all the best, but, in the end, you know it yourself, that your try needs a bit practice, and you'll nail it. But, not this time.

I'm getting my coat,
Faith.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='548057' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:53 PM']I'm about to get bashed for following, but whatever..

You know, sometimes it just reminds me of those 12-year old kiddies playing Jamiroquai stuff... OK, they KNOW the notes maybe, but they aren't [b]tight [/b]at the end (and, with [i]a bit more[/i] practice, I think, they could..), but, when, especially, being a bassist, [b]what's the point [/b]then?

But, then again, they get sweetest applauses (Basschat is not an exeption, sorry..), just because of what? Just because they're young and they try to come over the stuff, that [i]normally[/i] [i]shouldn't[/i] be taken by a kid?

You know, I could probably taken one of [i]those [/i]Hadrien Feraud's solos, then get it down to the deepest f*ckin' bottom, but, [b]rhythmically [/b] and musically (phrasing and stuff), I KNOW I couldn't make it, so, what's the point then?

Zoe, I'm not trying to offend you - I'm not actually 'dedicating' my rubbish thoughts to you, it's for those well-wishers to think about [i]it[/i] a bit more..

I wish you all the best, but, in the end, you know it yourself, that your try needs a bit practice, and you'll nail it. But, not this time.

I'm getting my coat,
Faith.[/quote]

Course i'm not taking offense.

To be completely honest, I expected something like this to come up eventually.

Yeah, its not the best playing ever.
Yeah, it needs some work.
Yep.. i need to learn more techniques.. timing etc

BUT

Its kinda nice to have people behind you, for Ex: basschat.

and sure, constructive criticism is needed for improvement.

But im also sure there was other ways you could have said what you just did.

Z
x

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='548082' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:04 PM']Its kinda nice to have people behind you, for Ex: basschat.

and sure, constructive criticism is needed for improvement.

But im also sure there was other ways you could have said what you just did.

Z
x[/quote]
Absolutely. My sentiments would have been the same whether you were 17, 27 or 67!!
It was a bloody good effort and deserved praise for that, at least. Of course, you/it will get better.
You go girl! :)

[quote name='Faithless' post='548057' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:53 PM']You know, sometimes it just reminds me of those 12-year old kiddies playing Jamiroquai stuff... OK, they KNOW the notes maybe, but they aren't [b]tight [/b]at the end (and, with [i]a bit more[/i] practice, I think, they could..), but, when, especially, being a bassist, [b]what's the point [/b]then?

But, then again, they get sweetest applauses (Basschat is not an exeption, sorry..), just because of what? Just because they're young and they try to come over the stuff, that [i]normally[/i] [i]shouldn't[/i] be taken by a kid?[/quote]
That's the most patronising thing I've ever read.

[quote name='Faithless' post='548057' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:53 PM']You know, I could probably taken one of those Hadrien Feraud's solos, then get it down to the deepest f*ckin' bottom, but, rhythmically and musically (phrasing and stuff), I KNOW I couldn't make it, so, what's the point then?
You'd praise me just for trying? Thanks, but I don't need that.[/quote]
Maybe I missed something, but I didn't think this thread was about what YOU need or what YOU think is the point of anything.

I'm not a supreme bass god like this Faithless guy Zoe, but I honestly thought you're playing was pretty good there.

[quote name='Faithless' post='548057' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:53 PM']I'm about to get bashed for following, but whatever..

I'm getting my coat,
Faith.[/quote]
Wow. Just.. wow.

[quote name='Faithless' post='548057' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:53 PM']I'm getting my coat,
Faith.[/quote]

You fella talk a load of rubbish . . . . SIMPLE

I'll be very surprised of you can still talk while sitting down
You have managed to turn a very good thread into what will end up being a slagging match

THANKS VERY MUCH . . . NOW STAY AWAY

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='548082' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:04 PM']Course i'm not taking offense.

To be completely honest, I expected something like this to come up eventually.

Yeah, its not the best playing ever.
Yeah, it needs some work.
Yep.. i need to learn more techniques.. timing etc[/quote]

You confessed all that right off the bat though, which is why you haven't seen much criticism - we know that you know it's not perfect.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='548176' date='Jul 22 2009, 08:47 PM']You confessed all that right off the bat though, which is why you haven't seen much criticism - we know that you know it's not perfect.[/quote]

And it's a hell of a lot more perfect than I could manage! Nice work Zoe :)

[quote name='Faithless' post='548057' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:53 PM']Just because of what? Just because they're young and they try to come over the stuff, that [i]normally[/i] [i]shouldn't[/i] be taken by a kid?[/quote]
Well, I don't agree with you there! I think that if they're at that level, then you should push them onto new lines. I have no doubt that Zoe is a very talented bassist (by listening to her other tracks) and that she could nail this one with a bit more practise. The important thing is that [i]she[/i] also knows that - [b]which she does.[/b] I expect there have been many times (especially after making this) that she has nailed it, and I reckon she probably now looks at it now thinking it was a bad (hey, I know I think that 99% of my old recordings are horribly out of time, sometimes just after recording it).

Also, I think that it [i]is[/i] right to praise a kid when s/he nails a line, or gets very close. There's been at least 5 people who have said how they can't even play that line or get close to her efforts. I don't think it was too bad. If she'd been playing the first beat on the 2nd beat that would be another matter...

[quote name='Faithless' post='548057' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:53 PM']I'm getting my coat,
Faith.[/quote]
Don't listen to the idiots above me telling you to leave! I agree with some of what you're saying:
Yes, she went out of time from God-knows what, Yes we should stop kids from half-doing a song, and moving on because 'oh yeah, I learnt it'. However, I don't think that we should stop them from playing and learning them. I know that playing though 'sir duke' by Stevie Wonder on my thrid bass lesson was one of the things that inspired me to play bass, [b]even though I could hardly play it[/b] (ok, I kinda played all of it except the run-down)

[quote name='iamapirate' post='548226' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:14 PM']Well, I don't agree with you there! I think that if they're at that level, then you should push them onto new lines. I have no doubt that Zoe is a very talented bassist (by listening to her other tracks) and that she could nail this one with a bit more practise. The important thing is that [i]she[/i] also knows that - [b]which she does.[/b] I expect there have been many times (especially after making this) that she has nailed it, and I reckon she probably now looks at it now thinking it was a bad (hey, I know I think that 99% of my old recordings are horribly out of time, sometimes just after recording it).

Also, I think that it [i]is[/i] right to praise a kid when s/he nails a line, or gets very close. There's been at least 5 people who have said how they can't even play that line or get close to her efforts. I don't think it was too bad. If she'd been playing the first beat on the 2nd beat that would be another matter...

Don't listen to the idiots above me telling you to leave! I agree with some of what you're saying:
Yes, she went out of time from God-knows what, Yes we should stop kids from half-doing a song, and moving on because 'oh yeah, I learnt it'. However, I don't think that we should stop them from playing and learning them. I know that playing though 'sir duke' by Stevie Wonder on my thrid bass lesson was one of the things that inspired me to play bass, [b]even though I could hardly play it[/b] (ok, I kinda played all of it except the run-down)[/quote]Kids. and you're how old?

Jeez.

There is such a thing as coaching and encouragement Mr Faithless. You know, the "praise sandwich"? Praise, constructive criticism, praise?

No need to criticise us people for doing that on this thread. Zoe's got good ears, she knows where she's out, which ain't by far either. She said that. She's humble and she has more dignity than to take issue with that bitter nonsense you posted. As you have seen.

Come back when you are perfect, sir.

Zoe, keep smiling :)