Why become a member? ×

Boiled strings with your steak sir ?

Major-Minor

Back in the early 70's (yes we had a recession then too), it was quite common for us hard-up bass guitar players to boil our strings for 15 minutes in a large pot to re-invigorate the tone quality. It meant you could get a few more gigs out of the set. I suppose it removed all the dead skin and sweat and brought them back to life.

Does anybody do that any more ?

May be a good idea if you are suffering from the credit-crunch !

In those early days I used to change strings (always Rotosound Swing Bass - there were few good alternatives) perhaps once a month - I was playing 5 nights a week, 3 hours a night, so they quickly lost their zing.
These days I'm a bit lazy - only change them when I have a particularly high profile gig or session. Which is why I remembered this old trick. I have a gig at the Albert Hall coming up and need to be sounding my best so I'm just about to put the new set on - strings are cheaper (relative to wages) these days but still over £20 for a 5 string set, so I'm not going to change them too often. Maybe I'll boil them !

How often do you guys / girls renew your strings ?

The Major

If you did a search, there's quite a few threads about boiling strings, that little tid-bit of knowledge hasn't been lost.

There's also a number of improved ways using isopropanol or meths and some pvc tubing that's better for the strings.

[quote name='Buzz' post='537849' date='Jul 11 2009, 01:11 PM']If you did a search, there's quite a few threads about boiling strings, that little tid-bit of knowledge hasn't been lost.

There's also a number of improved ways using isopropanol or meths and some pvc tubing that's better for the strings.[/quote]
Buzz - many thanks - I'm new around here and had not spotted the "search" function. Very useful.

The Major

I do this when on a tight budget...Not sure about this credit-crunch hype though...isn't Swine Flue the front pager these days?

Anyways, they get weaker over time though and start to stink so I looked into PVC tubing with Denatured Alcohol.
I want to use this as it will not only clean better, but they wont build up a film that water causes over time (boiled strings never feel the same) but without added heat they wont weaken,only naturally fatigue over time. :)

So yeah, a lot of people still do this..."Credit-Crunch" or not.

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='537947' date='Jul 11 2009, 04:03 PM']Hi Kongo - what is Denatured Alcohol ?

The Major[/quote]

That would be Methylated Spirits to you an I sir.

+1 to the meths tube solution, works great - I leave one set soaking and have one set on the bass, take a set out for a day bfore swapping (so they thoroughly dry out).

Brings back as much (or more) zing than boiling, doesnt temper the metal, and leaves no risk of rust on the core.

Result, strings last a lot longer than when boiling them.

My DRs on my 4 banger are well over a year old and sound about 4 days old to my ears....

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='537966' date='Jul 11 2009, 04:35 PM']I like TI flats they seem to sound best after about a year of use. I wouldn't say they go dead with age though, just deep rich & bassy.

I've never had to change any in the several years since I've been using them (must be about six years).

If I ever want zing I'll take up harpsichord or clavinet. :)[/quote]
Agreed.

The only time I ever needed to change a TI Jazz Flat was when I broke one.

[quote name='51m0n' post='537971' date='Jul 11 2009, 04:43 PM']That would be Methylated Spirits to you an I sir.

+1 to the meths tube solution, works great - I leave one set soaking and have one set on the bass, take a set out for a day bfore swapping (so they thoroughly dry out).

Brings back as much (or more) zing than boiling, doesnt temper the metal, and leaves no risk of rust on the core.

Result, strings last a lot longer than when boiling them.

My DRs on my 4 banger are well over a year old and sound about 4 days old to my ears....[/quote]

Are Meths similar to rubbing alcohol? Because I usually use that to clean strings. Just loosen then, soak a cotton pad in rub. alcohol then run it along the strings a few times. Works pretty well, gets all the grime off. :)

[quote name='Rich44' post='537983' date='Jul 11 2009, 04:55 PM']Are Meths similar to rubbing alcohol? Because I usually use that to clean strings. Just loosen then, soak a cotton pad in rub. alcohol then run it along the strings a few times. Works pretty well, gets all the grime off. :)[/quote]

Dunno mate, but I'd rather not get anything like alcohol near my Roscoe's finish - so I'll stick to the tube, plus I facny its a seriously deep clean leaving the strings in there for a couple of weeks at a time, compared to a quick rubbing over (oooh, and indeed, er)

[quote name='Musky' post='537860' date='Jul 11 2009, 01:24 PM']I have the opposite problem. I like my strings to sound deader than a very dead thing. I'd use flatwounds, but I don't really get along with the feel of them.

Anyone know how to kill off a set of new roundwounds? :)[/quote]

I'm sure if you paid the postage loads of us would send you old sets of strings. I threw out about 10 complete sets of Elites/Elixirs/Hartke strings not so long ago

[quote name='Musky' post='537860' date='Jul 11 2009, 01:24 PM']I have the opposite problem. I like my strings to sound deader than a very dead thing. I'd use flatwounds, but I don't really get along with the feel of them.

Anyone know how to kill off a set of new roundwounds? :)[/quote]
1 word: Slap.

With about an hour's worth of slapping my extra bright XLs, they're as dead as cold sushi for breakfast.

I use meths and let it dry naturally on DR strings.....nere have bothered with boiling..
that way I don't have to worry about the cotton winds as they don't gave them.

You need to be careful when you wind them on the bass and then you can use them endlessly...
I rarely break strings...touch wood...and can't recall the last time I bought a set..

And that reminds me, I think I'll source a few new sets but I don't chase the ultra bright sound anymore...
As soon as I have to tweak my EQ a bit that is a time to change strings, IMO

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='538022' date='Jul 11 2009, 05:39 PM']I'm sure if you paid the postage loads of us would send you old sets of strings. I threw out about 10 complete sets of Elites/Elixirs/Hartke strings not so long ago[/quote]

Hmm... not a bad idea that. I feel a wanted thread coming up.

It's got to be better than trying vaseline and hoover dust - doesn't work and makes a helluva mess. :)

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='537841' date='Jul 11 2009, 01:07 PM']Back in the early 70's (yes we had a recession then too), it was quite common for us hard-up bass guitar players to boil our strings for 15 minutes in a large pot to re-invigorate the tone quality. It meant you could get a few more gigs out of the set. I suppose it removed all the dead skin and sweat and brought them back to life.

Does anybody do that any more ?

May be a good idea if you are suffering from the credit-crunch !

In those early days I used to change strings (always Rotosound Swing Bass - there were few good alternatives) perhaps once a month - I was playing 5 nights a week, 3 hours a night, so they quickly lost their zing.
These days I'm a bit lazy - only change them when I have a particularly high profile gig or session. Which is why I remembered this old trick. I have a gig at the Albert Hall coming up and need to be sounding my best so I'm just about to put the new set on - strings are cheaper (relative to wages) these days but still over £20 for a 5 string set, so I'm not going to change them too often. Maybe I'll boil them !

How often do you guys / girls renew your strings ?
Just tried the dishwasher method...And it works a treat....Cheers Haimesy

The Major[/quote]