Why become a member? ×

You Know You're A Bassist When

JBassist

[quote name='Clarky' post='526134' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:04 PM']... having answered what instrument you play in the band, the previously-interested person smiles sweetly and finds an excuse to be elsewhere[/quote]

Every gig! :)

[quote name='Zoe_BillySheehan' post='526057' date='Jun 27 2009, 04:32 PM']When you listen to a song.. and you find yourself only hearing the bassline and nothing else

Z
x[/quote]

Strange that, Zoe. That's what got me started many many years ago.

Also, you know you're a bassist when you are asked to join a jazz workshop of players a third of your age 'cos they can't rustle up a bassist of their own - as happened to me last night and not for the first time.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='526125' date='Jun 27 2009, 06:00 PM']When you're the only one who knows whereabouts you are in the song, when you keep having to nod to the guitarist to come in. :)[/quote]
Oh so true!

when at rehearsal you get shocked looks at suggesting maybe, perhaps, in just one song at some point as a special favour, we all play in time together.

Edited by leonshelley01

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='526299' date='Jun 27 2009, 09:40 PM']Oh so true!

when at rehearsal you get shocked looks at suggesting maybe, perhaps, in just one song at some point as a special favour, we all play in time together.[/quote]

heheh. plus the one.

if i may adapt the words of verbal kint...

"the greatest trick the bass player ever pulled was convincing the band he didn't wasn't running the show"

:)

[quote name='neilb' post='526276' date='Jun 27 2009, 09:10 PM']When you can play your band members intruments and they cant play yours.[/quote]Totally agree, my guit hasn't got a baldy one when he picks up my bass.
I can play his righty upside down, can he play my lefty bass upside down?

ykyabw....you can walk to the bar whilst playing, order a pint, play the rest of the songs on the open strings, drink your pint and return to your position wedged in behind the hi-hat without anyone in the crowd or band noticing :)

[quote name='escholl' post='526408' date='Jun 28 2009, 12:01 AM']when you actually know the difference between instrument cable, and speaker cable.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='ahpook' post='526341' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:30 PM']"the greatest trick the bass player ever pulled was convincing the band he didn't wasn't running the show"[/quote]

+1 (good film too!)

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='526335' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:22 PM']When you can look around the stage and feel good in the knowledge that you probably have more musical know-how than anyone else there..[/quote]

+9,634

bloody ridiculous, esp in my old band!