Why become a member? ×

Bass Day UK 2009 (Royal Northern College of Music - Nov 22)

Gary

[quote name='steve-soar' post='524084' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:17 PM']Anybody in the Liverpool, Cheshire area going?

I'm not taking "er indoors" cause I want to mess around and not feel the projected scorn and the eyes raised to heaven. :)
Just like that.[/quote]

going to bass day tomorrow from wirral to manchester, anyone want to car share bit late I know

Just got back myself, but had to leave early and so missed Nathan East. Poogie Bell was amazing though :) I did some recording of some of the sets on my Zoom H2, and some have come out okay if any one is interested? Annoyingly someone knocked my recorder part way through the Adam Nitti set, so only have it half way through. I have all of Maurizio Rolli's set, but there's is some small clipping part way through. I also recorded some of Steve William's set at the beginning. PM if you're interested.

I was there,
Had an amazing time, and spent most of it on the GB stall being extremely blown away, bernie and the lads were really friendly and are HUGELY passionate about their basses quite right too, im in love with the rumour 5 and am saving my pennies from now i will have one, also had a lovely chat with our very own funkydario, on the Bacchus stand, lovley guy, we had a laugh when a young lady asked my mate to turn down and he was the quietest player in the room by far :) im also very enamoured by Yolanda charles who is an incredible groovemeister and a bit gorgeous too :rolleyes: , ive probably walked past a dozen basschatters, we should have worn T shirts!!! was keeping an eye out for Ped but didnt see him, had a good chat with Pete (thunderthumbs) though.
All in all a hugely enjoyable day, i had to leave early though so missed Nathan east, but i,ll bet he was amazing, hope you all had good one and im currently trying to raise funds to have a 5 string rumour made- cheers everyone - lee

I caught Nathan East and was blown away. I heard some very positive stuff about you too Adam but sadly missed you although one of my basses saw your masterclass :)

Yolanda Charles was delightful.

A great day but much louder, not just the slappers either.

If you were the plonker who asked Nathan East to slap put your hand up now :rolleyes:

I came away GAS free for a change. Very impressed by a prototype two hole P bass active and passive pre amp that John East had designed. Even had it's own 40 Hr rechargeable battery charged through the jack socket and it dropped into passive automatically on low voltage. A clever man is John.

The best bit by far was meeting so many familiar faces.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='662213' date='Nov 22 2009, 10:42 PM']A great day but much louder, not just the slappers either.[/quote]

Man it really was loud, i thought my head was gonna explode.

Tbh this really annoyed me as most of the time it really wasn't needed.

Got a little bored of all the slapping, i bet E was the most played note in that whole build. All that open E slapping is getting a bit old now. Don't get me wrong, i love slap and enjoy playing it, but some people really do need to give it a rest sometimes.

[quote name='lee650' post='662154' date='Nov 22 2009, 09:43 PM']was keeping an eye out for Ped but didnt see him[/quote]

Hi mate

I was there with my brother but didn't manage to get there until about 4.45 (just in time for Poogie Bell) and had to leave right after Nathan East, so really didn't get a chance to speak to anyone much unfortunately... apologies to everyone I briefly met en route to the theatre and so on, but I nodded at a few people at least!!

Congratulations and thanks to all involved in putting on quite a show for us UK bass players - a truly wonderful event and tremendously supported by everyone. Let's hope it continues for many years. How did we do without it??

ped

Just literally got in now, nice long 3 1/2 hour car ride, but was worth it :)

Had to miss nathan east :/ bit gutting, but was nice to find a load of bass gear and see the calibre of people who called themselves 'hobbie' bassists :rolleyes:

Ok...so I thought I'd give a couple of surprises and disappointments of my experience today....

[u]Surprises:-[/u]

Enfield basses and their super 8 pickups, and the range of tones available

A Spear jazz bass hybrid, with a J-pickup, a set of P pups AND a musicman block - the neck on it was so thin and easily to play, yet it didnt feel like a £225 bass - May be a future purchase as a practice bass.

Nigel Clutterbuck at the rotosound stand....WOW :lol:

The friendliness of everyone!

[u]Disappointments[/u]

Lack of Aguilar gear about :/ fink i only saw one artist with a aguilar stack, and it wasn't any of the products i was interested in!

The lack of sound control....I know its not that big, and theres a lot of instruments playing, but it was a constant noise war, and there was no like sound boothing....if that makes sense :S

The amount of slap bass/ the lack of fingerstyle funk...it felt like a competition to see who could do the most percussive mutes in a minute!

Every 5 mins I heard portrait of tracy! Not a disappointment, more of a growing boredom of it haha

Overall though, a good £20 spent! Came away with some new strings and a renewed sense to practice shitloads! hahaha

PS. I think a drunken MB1 was chatting to my friend for a good 20mins haha :lol:

[quote name='lee650' post='662154' date='Nov 22 2009, 09:43 PM']All in all a hugely enjoyable day, i had to leave early though so missed Nathan east, but i,ll bet he was amazing, hope you all had good one and im currently trying to raise funds to have a 5 string rumour made- cheers everyone - lee[/quote]

5 string Rumour?! He's got ya!! Glad you liked 'em!

yeah it was a bit on the loud side, oh and sorry i did indulge in a bit of slapping in E :) but idid do some slapping in G too!!! i couldnt help it when bernie turned on that treble switch, i did play some fingerstyle funk and some jazzy noodling :rolleyes: blown away by the GB,s i did have a play on the enfields too very nice indeed, great pickup and i think a nod to the future, had a good long chat at that booth and was very impressed ( oh and played the bass that was reviewed in Bass guitar that was also used by Hugh macdonald on x factor).
Was very nice to talk to john east who,s a lovely man, lots of nice people all round really, but yes REALLY LOUD!!!!!!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='662282' date='Nov 22 2009, 11:58 PM']5 string Rumour?! He's got ya!! Glad you liked 'em![/quote]

AAWWW mate!!! ive got to say incredibly impressed ive been playing nearly 20 years and have never sounded so bloody good ( bernie just needs to invent a talent switch for me :) ) incidentally just been lookng at your basses, and the one i played looked a lot like yours was that you i spoke too who owned it?- lee

Edited by lee650

[quote name='lee650' post='662292' date='Nov 23 2009, 12:18 AM']AAWWW mate!!! ive got to say incredibly impressed ive been playing nearly 20 years and have never sounded so bloody good ( bernie just needs to invent a talent switch for me :) ) incidentally just been lookng at your basses, and the one i played looked a lot like yours were you there?[/quote]

Yeah (stripey t shirt), you were playing two of my basses!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='662293' date='Nov 23 2009, 12:19 AM']Yeah (stripey t shirt), you were playing two of my basses![/quote]

just amended my question as i realised it was daft :) great to meet you mate, had a ball on your beauties, and ive been on bernies website planning mine, thanks again really made my afternoon actually :rolleyes:

I was really glad I made the effort and went. Obviously the Nathan East session was the highlight; what a nice guy. It was great to meet so many Basschatters too.

The East P Bass preamp is definitely one to check out and must be one of the most innovative products I've seen in ages. It was a shame it was just too loud and my ear/brain noise fatigue too high to appreciate it fully.

Dave Marks' workshop on groove was very useful and fabulous entertainment; I don't know if anyone else heard the drummer on that one but he had such a great clean and human approach to playing - it just made you want to play along.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='662213' date='Nov 22 2009, 10:42 PM']I came away GAS free for a change.[/quote]

Well done, Peter! Didn't manage it myself. There was a funkily finished blue headless Shuker that was talking to me all day and must be one of the nicest instruments I've played, the neck was incredible. The pickup config wasn't to my liking but it just had something. I feel a trip to see Jon coming in the new year :)

I had a brilliant day. I had the choice between Marcus Miller in London or my favorite session player Adam Nitti up close and personal in Manchester, and I'm glad I chose the latter.

Adam was outstanding as usual, and I'm very grateful to Peter for lending me his Spector to enable me to take part in Adam's masterclass. I loved being a part of that, sitting there playing along with one of your favorite players, but a lot of the theory went over my head! Thanks also to Peter on behalf of a grateful Yolanda Charles for the batteries!

Great seeing Steve (Tayste2000) jamming with Yolanda and Miles, and really great to see a clash of styles having some fun together, the funk goddess meets the rock monster.

This is the control plate from my Kinal, which I had signed by Nathan East, Adam Nitti, Yolanda Charles and Stevie Williams, Stevie himself is one of my favorite players and I'm always disappointed he doesn't play more himself at Bassday....

No-one will ever see the signatures, as they're on the inside, but I'll know they're there, and maybe they'll give me some inspiration next time I play it.

Nathan East was fantastic of course, and a really nice bloke too.

Glad to hear there weren't too many slappers this year, but man, it was a loud one all the same.

Congrats to Stevie, Gary, Pris and all involved, and roll on next year.

Enjoyed it this year. Nathan East was nothing short of inspiring.
The display was a headache wrapped in an earache, if everyone had turned down a bit, everyone could have heard themselves.
Loved the Bacchus gear, and those
Impresse yet bonkers Yamaha BB reissues.
Think having a band near the demo gear a bit short sighted, loopstation and noodling ain't for me really.
May have another try next year, and see if people finally see sense on the loudness front.

Great day, got a bit of an hangover this morning, I was in the vicinity of MB1 for most of the day, we had a few beers!
We were in an area where stevie threw a set of strings, it hit MB1's pint and drowned me!

Got some GAS, which I will be moving on today, could go in one of two directions, still mulling it over

T

Edited by sshorepunk