Why become a member? ×

Bass Day UK 2009 (Royal Northern College of Music - Nov 22)

Gary

First yes it was a very nice event and I am glad I came and sure be back next year.
Steve and all the staff were great and the place is just so nice. After being to the 3 Bassday in Europe (I,UK and D) I do think volume is THE PROBLEM. I do believe is our responsability (The expositor) to keep volume level and gear dimension accordingly to the expo charachteristic. I do not think large box (8x10) or double stack (4x10 + 1x15) are the best choice for 500m2 rooms with very high ceiling and a very huge glass wall. This is the kingdom of resonance and I do believe some notes that were played Sunday afternoon are still sounding in the room. I do think small cabs like 1x12 or 210 or 212 are largely enough to test the beautiful basses exposed. A different room for big boxes might be arranged for those willing to really test and compare big boxes and stack. Better for us and also better for the visitors , my ears were just blown away sunday night and I miss the last concerts and jam just because my ears need rest which is a pity.
But apart that I do think it was very well organised and I did like the sometime "lesson" approach and the spirit very ''britain'' in the artistic direction.
Very well done and btw thanks to all who spend some time at my stand and try some instruments. I hope announcing soon the availibility in the UK of Bacchus and STR instruments.
To all see you next year !!

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='664513' date='Nov 24 2009, 11:16 PM']In all seriousness, you were just 3 numbers out.

I was at the bar with Nigel Clutterbuck and each ticket being drawn was getting closer and closer to your number (my number was miles out). Then for the bass, I think yours ended something like 115 and 112 came out. It got a big "oooooooooh" from us bar-proppers.

Did you get back to the station OK?[/quote]

Just joking.........! Yes, but got on the wrong train ( there are two routes across T'Pennines) so thought I may have to buy another ticket but the very nice young lady could see I was so shell-shocked from all the slapping and kindly let me off!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='663739' date='Nov 24 2009, 02:01 PM']Sean, nice avatar, I'm jealous.[/quote]

Bev is an absolute babe and her show is fantastic. I got to meet the guys and they are supercool but Bev is my new bezzie mate! I reckon we could have taken it further but I had to go home! :rolleyes:

Big Woohaah to Dave Marks too for his workshop at Bassday - absolutely brilliant. Go to his website and donate. :)

Just found these on my camera.

If you didn't try one, you should have.

Minor Drawback £2000............. :)

I'm waiting on Dave from Yamaha to offer me an endorsement :rolleyes: , or a battered 'Car Stock' one. He did knock the sunburst one into the low ceiling...£250?

I loved the 45 degree angle through body stringing. Clev-wah.
Great neck, Superb build quality.
The bodys are made from 3 bits of alder, winged like a through neck.
The necks are semi-gloss, so they feel played in, but not worn.
They are basically a 'look at what we can do' they don't expect to sell many in the UK.

I know you can get an original BB for comparative peanuts, but i thought these were cool, next to the Fender clones, and the neck-though fancypants stuff.

Bonkers, i like em.

Trav

I must admit to thinking that Yamaha had a completely flawed marketing strategy with the 'Super BB' range at the show.

Don't get me wrong I love Yamaha gear but a bolt on passive BB for over £2k just because it's made in Japan??

The standard BB range just aren't different enough and I don't think the name 'Yamaha' on the headstock has ever been that popular however well made these basses are.

Expect to see huge discounts as per usual.

I'm sure we'll see them at £1500 listed, but no available stock etc.
Like i said, if he would have said 'they're a grand' i would have been more serious.
But, i think this is their 'custom shop' attempt at the BB.
Yamaha are victims of their own name, and Dave the rep knows it.

I still thought they were nice, Yamaha or otherwise.

My problem with the Yamaha's were they feel like the BB404 and 604 counterparts interms of neck finish.

It's crazy when it's to capture the tone of the old 80's ones that they cost way more than what one of those would, it's like Fender going here is a 1975 all original £600 please or you can have an RI for £3000.

Nice basses but I won't be buying one, I may look at a cheaper line and get new pickups and electronics if the build is good on them.