Why become a member? ×

i want a rickenbacker........

riff raff

[quote name='riff raff' post='511252' date='Jun 11 2009, 02:43 PM']i want a rickenbacker.

thats it really.just wanted to share my feelings.[/quote]

Ive had that feeling twice, bought one each time, and sold them on because I couldnt get on with them. They are a fantastic guitar, I used to just look at the fireglow one it looked so nice.

I think its a bass you either like, or your dont. I didnt like the neck, and I found it uncomfortable to play.
Try before you buy

comfortable thumb position is a real problem for me on a lot of basses.like it quite low and never find it easy.probably a lot to do with poor right hand technique.playing a lot with a pick these days so out of practice too.sitting down is fine.standing.........not comfy.with regards to the ric, i like the sound of it played with a pick so finger style on that wouldn't be a major problem.is the ric neck similair in any way to a warwick?

String spacing is damned near parallel, leaving the strings much closer together at the bridge than on most basses. It's the way they used to make them in the late-50's/ early-60's (so all my vintage Hofners have that same string spacing, for example) and Rickenbacker clearly never felt a need to change.

It's neither better or worse than a Fender, just different.

BBC's point about the thumbrest is valid - I have to anchor my thumbnail in the top of the pickguard.

They're idiosyncratic basses, you other love 'em or hate 'em. Deffo try before you buy, but better to borrow one for a few weeks to see how you get on.

I love them, and have played nothing else since I could (barely) afford my first.

They are totally unique - and everyone above is right in that sense, in that they are certainly not for everybody. In fact, when it comes to comfort, if that's your main thing, they're probably not for you as they are not the easiest bass to play at all.

I have and love both the 4003 and 4004, very different instruments, but both with the Ric eccentricities,

They are, as we all know, very pricey - so make sure you really want one before you buy. As for borrowing one, with what they cost, you'd be lucky if anybody let you!!

Nobody plays mine except me!!

[quote name='riff raff' post='511309' date='Jun 11 2009, 03:27 PM']uncomfortable in what way?[/quote]
Everything just feels like it's in the wrong place. The body is really unwieldy & uncomfortable too. I had two for about three years & just never got used to them

Horrible cheap plastic parts on them too - shameful on a bass that expensive.

Edited by RhysP

Neck sizes on Ricks do vary by model/year. I had an early 80s 4001 that had a neck like a brick and - being a Precision player - I really liked it! A real fistful at the headstock end. I later bought a 90s 4003 (sold on to Old Horse Murphy) that had a really jazz-type neck and I didn't get on with that.

Of the probably dozens and dozens of basses i've played in the last few years in shops and at shows, i've never seen a Rick. I think their exclusivity and lack of supply is sad, but if it works for their business model then that is their prerogative.

Definitely want to try one - even if I don't like it.

[quote name='Clarky' post='511481' date='Jun 11 2009, 06:02 PM']And here's Judy Finnigan-alike Clarky at the Hope & Anchor with the aforementioned early 80s 4001
[attachment=26890:clarky_basss_021.jpg][/quote]

Clarky
That picture is priceless. I just love the way everyone spends a fortune on amplifiers and then hoik them up on a plastic beer crate. I have dozens of shots like this.
P

They're certainly not for everyone, but all of mine are fantastic for me. Try one for yourself before you decide though - I actually think they're really easy to play, whatever others might say.

PS - Couldn't find any plastic parts on any of my six Rickenbackers that aren't plastic on most other 'production' basses. Pickup cover I suppose, but many basses don't even have one...

Love mine too. I bought it online without any real knowledge about them, after playing a '78 4003. Mine is a brand new 2008 4003. From what I gather from other Ric-enthousiasts, the 2008 model goes back to vintage specs in various ways, including the neck profile, walnut headstock wings, full width triangular inlays, plexiglass trussrod cover and pickguard and a 'vintage switch' which activates a condensator in the signal chain of the bridge pickup that cuts some lows on the bridge pickup and emphasizes the high mids and highs.

It's a fantastic instrument, I had to get used to the feel of the neck profile and I had to experiment a little with the placement of my left hand, but it's well worth it.

PS, the problem with anchoring the picking hand thumb is easily solved with a Pickguardian pickguard [url="http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/RICBridgePUPlate.html"]http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/R...dgePUPlate.html[/url]

[quote name='RhysP' post='511436' date='Jun 11 2009, 05:14 PM']Everything just feels like it's in the wrong place. The body is really unwieldy & uncomfortable too. I had two for about three years & just never got used to them

Horrible cheap plastic parts on them too - shameful on a bass that expensive.[/quote]

Cheap plastic is a bit of a myth anyway :)

Plastic is actually more expensive than most metals, it's just easier to use in the manufacturing process, saving money there.

Both my Rics are kinda bass investments (4001CS and 4001C64S). I really should play em more often.

[quote name='noelk27' post='511567' date='Jun 11 2009, 07:56 PM']Same here.[/quote]

They're all different. I've played probably hundreds, some I've loved, some have been ok, some I haven't got on with at all. The necks all vary, the sounds all vary, the weight & balance varies considerably....def try before you buy. FWIW the one bass I would never be without is my old Ric.