Why become a member? ×

Wizard

andy67

Thinking of changing the pups in my new fender 50's classic pbass.

Trawling through some of the manufacturers websites with nothing jumping out at me, I came across wizard pups for pbass: traditional, thumper and stealth. Has anyone got experience of these pups and would like to share or should I just fit fender vintage pups in my pbass?

andy

A quick search brings up...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116"]Some general Wizard love[/url]
and
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35469"]A thread with a video of WoT's Thumper-equipped P[/url]

I'm sure there'll be some more threads somewhere on here, but it's a start. :)

Fantastic!

ta much :)

the thumpers sound tremendous, as does WoT's technique!
at work and have the luxury of listening in the studio through the dedicated monitors - wot a sound! :lol:

looks like I know where I'm going! :rolleyes:

andy

Edited by andy67

I installed a Big Combo (I guess its a Thumper and an Eighty-Four?) in a PJ Jazz recently. I liked the sound, but I was less impressed by the rather sharp edges of the pole pieces, caught my thumb when muting the E string a little.

[quote name='umcoo' post='506496' date='Jun 5 2009, 05:08 PM']Can someone tell me what 'darker' sounding means on the 84's? I had a look into them and I'm after a dirty grinding bass tone, but does darker mean that?[/quote]

It will certainly be closer to what you're after than the 64's IMO :)

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that they do sound great, I have a PJ set that I put in last week. They compliment each other very well but also sound good on their own compared to the stock pups I had so very happy.

The only downside for me is the on the looks, the plastic covers look cheap and the poles could do with have a slight round edge put on them. I ended up using my existing covers so no big deal and the sound is the key part!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='517870' date='Jun 18 2009, 09:47 PM']I've just heard back from Andy - he's making up a set of custom Jazz 5 string pups for me and wants to know if I'd prefer light tone or meaty? I'm hoping light tone means a traditional sound. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?[/quote]

You're right.

Meaty = overwound... less 'air', more mids, hotter

Light = normally wound.... a bit more 'air', normal mids, normal output. Just like Leo's.

Ah...I've been thinking of getting some replacement pups for my Fernandes as it has a naturally "zingy" sound due to the maple neck but after finally gigging it a couple of weeks ago I've realised that I need some pups with a bassier tone, so I guess it would be a pair of '84's I might need to get?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='518212' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:18 AM']You're right.

Meaty = overwound... less 'air', more mids, hotter

Light = normally wound.... a bit more 'air', normal mids, normal output. Just like Leo's.[/quote]
Cheers WOT.
I was away to double post this question in the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=116&hl=wizard"]afore mentioned thread[/url] but you got in in the nick of time..... Now if I only knew what "air" was. :)