Why become a member? ×
Account Security - Two Factor Authentication ×

Walk on the Wild Side cover - aiming for that bass tone!

Who hasn't drooled over the bass tone, and Herbie Flowers' gorgeous playing, in Walk on the Wild Side.

I had a spare afternoon, so set about doing a cover, testing various mics to see how close I could get to matching the tone. Crazy thing is I now can't remember which mic I used in te end, but probably a combo of Golden Age Project ribbon mic a foot from the bridge at a slight angle, and a little AKG condenser up near the fingerboard.

Recorded and mixed in Ableton Live. Basses, guitars and saturated-vocals by me (sorry for the vocal...), 'Brushify' midi drum kit played on keyboard. Midi sax is always a bit lame but it'll do for the run out here.

I was pretty pleased. Enjoy, or flame me, as you wish! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, petebassist said:

Amazing, you've nailed the tone. Did you do the guitar part as well? Mick Ronson's I believe...

Didn’t know it was Mick Robson. Aye, bit of acoustic strumming from me too. 2 bits in fact.

Edited by PaulKing
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Sounds good.

I heard that the original had db and a bass guitar overdub, and that Herby Flowers gets twice the royalties  because he played both instruments. True or urban myth?

David

Herbie came to a SE Bash some years ago and confirmed it.  He played on it twice and got paid twice.

He gave us a rendition of it live with him on DB and with Dave Swift playing Bernie's famous Fender Jazz.

Edited by obbm

17 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Sounds good.

I heard that the original had db and a bass guitar overdub, and that Herby Flowers gets twice the royalties  because he played both instruments. True or urban myth?

David

This is a nice video with the man himself talking about it

On 11/06/2024 at 08:48, petebassist said:

Amazing, you've nailed the tone. Did you do the guitar part as well? Mick Ronson's I believe...

On 11/06/2024 at 09:53, PaulKing said:

Didn’t know it was Mick Robson. Aye, bit of acoustic strumming from me too. 2 bits in fact.

Mick Ronson co-produced the album ‘Transformer’ with Bowie, and also arranged strings on

it as well as playing piano, recorder and guitar. Some people reckon Bowie played the acoustic

on WOTWS rather than Mick though. 

• Like 1