Why become a member? ×

Wal alert for any interested parties

Mrs BC and I were in Hay-on-Wye for a break over the weekend and I happened to chance upon a guitar shop (predominantly second-hand stock) that had opened since the previous time we'd visited (2021).  In the window there was a lovely Yammie SG, and a couple of nice PRS's, so I ventured in, not expecting much bass-wise.  However, there was a really nice Wal sitting on a stand right in the middle of the shop floor.  There was no price ticket on it, so I tentatively inquired, expecting to be told it would be in the £4-5k ball park, only to be told that one was about £3k, and that they had another that had not yet made it's way into the shop that was a little under £4k.  The one I saw was a four string fretted Mark 2.  Looked to be in pretty nice condition, though it needed a set up.  Anyway, to anyone who's in the market, it might be worth a trip.  It's not on their website yet either.  I have no affiliation or connection with the shop, but thought someone amongst the BC fraternity might be in the market, and this one seemed to me quite reasonably priced in comparison to some of the daft prices being asked.  The shop is called Wye Fret.

• Like 12

I was very near to buying it myself to sell on immediately, but thought I might be too tempted to keep hold of it!  And seeing as I am recently retired and presently band-less, that would have plain stupid.

Queue invasion of American Rush and Tool fans waving bunches of dollars!

These things are generally £6k plus these days....4 string mk2s being the most expensive for some reason.  And remarkably they still sell at those prices.

What are they thinking?!

35 minutes ago, NickA said:

Queue invasion of American Rush and Tool fans waving bunches of dollars!

These things are generally £6k plus these days....4 string mk2s being the most expensive for some reason.  And remarkably they still sell at those prices.

What are they thinking?!

Let’s hope they don’t track online mentions because that price might have been updated if they do

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Let’s hope they don’t track online mentions because that price might have been updated if they do

Looking at their site, something tells me they don't!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, franzbassist said:

We snooze we lose.  I was tempted at "just over £3k", but even then couldn't justify such a spend.

I was going to jump in the car tomorrow for £3k.... But £5.9k sorry no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spyder said:

I was going to jump in the car tomorrow for £3k.... But £5.9k sorry no.

Jeez - did you get the impression he'd put the price up?  I mean, as opposed to me being quoted an incorrect price in the first place on Saturday (the person in the shop at the weekend wasn't the owner)?

The guy in the shop on Saturday also mentioned that they had a second Wal too, that wasn't on display yet.  He thought that one was already priced higher, so I'd guess that'll go out at north of £6k if so!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bass Culture said:

The guy in the shop on Saturday also mentioned that they had a second Wal too, that wasn't on display yet.  He thought that one was already priced higher, so I'd guess that'll go out at north of £6k if so!

I specifically asked about the second bass, and the owner told me earlier today there's only one available.

27 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

I specifically asked about the second bass, and the owner told me earlier today there's only one available.

Hmmm, maybe the guy in the shop on Saturday got the price wrong too then. 

31 minutes ago, Bass Culture said:

Hmmm, maybe the guy in the shop on Saturday got the price wrong too then. 

The guy in the shop was the owners father I believe. Chris the owner was away recording his band. £3.5k would of been a sensible price. He is unlikely to get nearly £6k. 

£3.5k for a Wal would have been the cheapest I’ve seen one for several years and this looks to be in mint condition. Mk1’s typically seem to be fetching £5-7k and Mk2 and Mk3 Wals are harder to find. There was a period over Christmas 2022 where about six Wals sold from various UK stores before hitting the respective websites and things seemed to have cooled only a little (as shown by having dozens of enquiries from both sides of the Atlantic due to a single post here).

2 hours ago, Maxwellwoodger said:

Thanks for this, I have contacted the shop… and it will soon be mine! :)

Congrats! Seems like a lovely bass and still less than the cost of a new one…

On 07/05/2024 at 09:19, Bass Culture said:

Mrs BC and I were in Hay-on-Wye for a break over the weekend and I happened to chance upon a guitar shop (predominantly second-hand stock) that had opened since the previous time we'd visited (2021).  In the window there was a lovely Yammie SG, and a couple of nice PRS's, so I ventured in, not expecting much bass-wise.  However, there was a really nice Wal sitting on a stand right in the middle of the shop floor.  There was no price ticket on it, so I tentatively inquired, expecting to be told it would be in the £4-5k ball park, only to be told that one was about £3k, and that they had another that had not yet made it's way into the shop that was a little under £4k.  The one I saw was a four string fretted Mark 2.  Looked to be in pretty nice condition, though it needed a set up.  Anyway, to anyone who's in the market, it might be worth a trip.  It's not on their website yet either.  I have no affiliation or connection with the shop, but thought someone amongst the BC fraternity might be in the market, and this one seemed to me quite reasonably priced in comparison to some of the daft prices being asked.  The shop is called Wye Fret.

Rats, I was in Hay about three weeks ago and didn't realise there was a guitar shop there now. <checks google maps> Bollocks, Mrs Zero wanted to walk through the castle from the car park to Shepherds (ice cream) and Kilverts (pub), and then through the castle back. If we'd walked from or to the alley from the car park, we'd have passed right by it. Oh well.

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

Rats, I was in Hay about three weeks ago and didn't realise there was a guitar shop there now. <checks google maps> Bollocks, Mrs Zero wanted to walk through the castle from the car park to Shepherds (ice cream) and Kilverts (pub), and then through the castle back. If we'd walked from or to the alley from the car park, we'd have passed right by it. Oh well.

This was a concession sale apparently and had only just been dropped in. The shop is nice but everything is priced quite high. Still, lovely place and good luck to them!

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

I thought it had some incredible stock - g**tars especially.  The owner's Dad told us they'd shifted a '55 Precision a short while before, and sent an Ibanez double-neck guitar out to the states a couple of weeks back too.  I was with a guitarist mate when I went in, saw the Wal and said 'let's guess how much' to him.  I said about £6k and he had no idea, so you can guess how surprised I was when I was told £3k.  I suspect, more and more, that he simply quoted me an incorrect price.  If I'd said there and then 'I'll have it', I'd imagine a call to his son to double check would have ended up with it being corrected.  Still, who knows?