Why become a member? ×

What elements make up a great gig

SamIAm

For me

• Playing with a group who I've played with a lot and we have fun together
  • An audience who are into what we play (Dancing/Joining in the songs)
  • Adaquate stage area - double if they have a good sound system
  • Good sound tech and time to sound check
  • Easy load in/out

My all time favorite gig was when my old band played the main stage at the Brighton Dome, it ticked all these boxes (and then some) ... I still get tingles whn I think about it!

What makes for a great gig for you?

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 3

More than anything getting in the zone where everything just happens and is in perfect flow, being absorbed in the process of playing and the band playing as one connected unit/entity.

Doesn't happen too often for an entire show, sadly, but when it does it's divine.

In fact I think I've only experienced this once at a gig.

The last gig I played with my old, hardcore and noise rock influenced math rock, band "Menfolk", together with our friends and label mates "The Unit", a hard rocking garage rock band, before I quit the band a couple of months later (which I still regret to this day), in a small brimming full music bar in Copenhagen called "Lades Kælder".

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

If you consider any external thing that has a positive effect on audience is low lights. People seem to be braver coming to the floor when the levels are low. If there are some coloured light effects, even better.

(I also love, when the bar isn't too far away, because if people hear and see the band well from the bar, audience may become wild from the start.)

• Like 2

Primary importance is good audience response. It helps to have an easy load-in and hospitable staff, as it gets you in a good frame of mind, as does everybody turning up on time. A decent amount of space also helps. Being able to get a good sound.

• Like 2

Playing really well and making the audience dance is the ultimate gig win for me. Also, maybe getting paid without having to belt the promoter first. I’d count that as a bonus.

But if the gig is a funeral send-off, or a commemorative gig, it’s a different story. Those are all about making people cry before you pack up your gear and hit the sauce, along with everyone else. Although I’ve only done two of those so YMMV as folks say.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SamIAm said:

For me

• Playing with a group who I've played with a lot and we have fun together
  • An audience who are into what we play (Dancing/Joining in the songs)
  • Adaquate stage area - double if they have a good sound system
  • Good sound tech and time to sound check
  • Easy load in/out

My all time favorite gig was when my old band played the main stage at the Brighton Dome, it ticked all these boxes (and then some) ... I still get tingles whn I think about it!

What makes for a great gig for you?

Sam x

A slightly different take on your list for me:

1. Playing with a group who have clicked and are enjoying the gig,taking and giving energy to the other band members (and therefore the audience).
  2. A good, responsive audience.
  3. Good sound (which feeds point 1).

A great venue (and that includes the attitude of the staff) and a good set list all contribute to the great gig but I can overlook all but the worst of venues and load-ins if the end result is good. I think when the band is in the groove the audience pick up on it and you can get a kind of feedback loop that takes the gig to a different level.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, meterman said:

Playing really well and making the audience dance is the ultimate gig win for me. Also, maybe getting paid without having to belt the promoter first. I’d count that as a bonus.

But if the gig is a funeral send-off, or a commemorative gig, it’s a different story. Those are all about making people cry before you pack up your gear and hit the sauce, along with everyone else. Although I’ve only done two of those so YMMV as folks say.

I aim to make the audience cry at every single gig! ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, meterman said:

But if the gig is a funeral send-off, or a commemorative gig, it’s a different story. Those are all about making people cry before you pack up your gear and hit the sauce

Oh, that's easy. I just play a five minute bass solo.

• Haha 1

Depends on the band you're playing with. I've had people sit on the beer stained carpet of a venue to intently listen in my old post rock band. That was cool. I've also had the whole place dancing in the hip hop covers band. 

Maybe trying to get a pit going should be my goal for the (doom) metal band I'm in now? Not sure that doom is really the one to get people going like that though...

• Like 1