Why become a member? ×

Where do you stand in a five piece band

Haven't played with a 5-piece since 2010 except for one dep gig with them in 2016, just consulted photos and I was second row on the drummer's right, one side or the other of the rhythm guitarist. Although now my smart-alec answer would be "I don't, I sit down".

• Like 2

By agreement with the other 4 members I'm always the last to arrive at gigs - gives the drummer, KB and PA chaps time to get set up - also, I usually have furthest to travel.

End result of this is that I have no choice where I position my gear, so my response would be 'I'm squeezed into any corner available, and grateful for it!"

Edited by Gasman
um...

13 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Though I guess it might be the other way round if I was left-handed.

Yep, I'm a lefty and I prefer to stand at the drummer's right hand. It means I can turn a little towards the drummer but still avoid joining in on the cymbals with my head stock. 

• Like 1

I seem to be in the minority in standing stage right. It does have the advantage of in small stages you can get in the gap just right of the drummer. I've never had an issue hitting cymbals with the headstock. I have had issues standing stage left and hitting the wall. 

As others have said, stage left (assuming right-handed drummer)! It probably stems from my days playing pubs and clubs with no monitors and needing to see the hi-hat. If you're using monitors, it's not so important, but it's still nice to see as well as hear the hi-hat.

• Like 1

In any line up it's usually stage left for me - mainly so that I'm not clouting anyone or anything with my headstock. It's also easier to turn to look across the band for the same reason. In a trio, I'm level with the guitarist in front of the drums. If space allows I'll do the same with a 4. By the time we get to 5 there's usually not enough room and I'll be besides or slightly in front of the drums with the three egos in front. The Hulla is usually a 13 piece and I tend to stand stage left next to the drums in the back row.

Prefer to stand where I can see the kick drum pedal, usually next to the snare/high-hat.  This is probably why I have defective hearing and tinnitus.

When I joined my current band, I ended up standing stage right by default because all the space stage left in our rehearsal room was already taken by Mr Rhythm Guitar, and the table with the mixer stood on it. We've always stuck to this arrangement whenever we've played live rather than mess about with what has become familiar from rehearsal, and to be honest it worls well for me - I can see the kick drum pedal, and can also hear the drummer's monitor nice and clearly as he has that set up to his left (electronic kit).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gasman said:

By agreement with the other 4 members I'm always the last to arrive at gigs - gives the drummer, KB and PA chaps time to get set up - also, I usually have furthest to travel.

End result of this is that I have no choice where I position my gear, so my response would be 'I'm squeezed into any corner available, and grateful for it!"

With a former three-piece band, I would arrive first, set up the PA and my bass rig, and then when the drummer and guitarist arrived I'd be squeezed into any corner available.

From the position of standing in front of the sage: Drummer at the back in the middle, singer at the front in the middle?

And then somewhere between the drummer and singer, or in line with the drummer, depending on the depth of the stage: 1 guitarist to the left, bass player to the right, together with keyboard player/2nd guitarist beside him/her on his/her right?

Or whatever makes most sense according to the specific line up of instruments and individual roles of the involved musicians in the band, as well as size of the stage in question, and if playing on backgear: sound.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2024 at 18:15, neepheid said:

Is there a "best" side?  My face doesn't have one of those!

For me it varies by venue.  Most of the time I play at the drummer's left side when I have the choice.  But some venues with their own backline, the bass rig is on the right, so I go on the right.  It's not my stuff so I don't want to be a diva and demand that it's moved around on my say so. 

I don't think it matters anyway, no-one notices the bass player ;)

Agree. When i want to be noticed a bit, in easy bass parts, i sometimes jump a little bit.

• Like 1

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

image.thumb.png.596656a7c429804d64bf3ada3fe64f15.png

image.png.93bc4adca1aec246b08ddee59219befe.png

And:

Cliff Burton

Victor Wooten

Stanley Clarke

Justin Chancellor

Niels Henning Ørsted Pedersen (NHØP)

?

Who? ;)